• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Dilemma

Reaction score
I'm the money spender normally - new car every two years, new bike every two years.... but after I got the Bandit in Sept of 2007 I vowed to keep her (and the Honda Civic Coupe I bought the same year that I absolutely love). The keeper of the purse strings, the boss, out of the freaking blue yesterday (with no hints from me) says "I think we should buy a Gold Wing". :eek2: After I picked myself up off the floor and recollected my thoughts, I was speechless. Now I've ridden GW's before. In fact, I drove (in my car) a buddy of mine to Charlotte NC (Hendrick's PowerSports) from Virginia Beach to pick up his GW a few years ago. He hadn't been riding for 15 years, and although he said he would ride it home, he was scared after he took it around the parking lot and asked me to ride it home. Luckily, I brought my gear with me in case this happened. I knew it would, but his pride was getting in the way. Anyway, to make a long story longer, the ride home was nice (about 350 miles I think), but I was not impressed enough to spend that kind of money. I did NOT like the size of the beast, although I owed a VTX1800C at the time (arguably a very big and heavy bike).

So, here's the deal. What I really want is an Honda ST1300 or Kawasaki Concourse. I know either would be fine and comfortable for two up riding and touring. BMWs are out of the question for me. I've never liked them, and the final drive shaft issues they are having right now are INSANE. I'm reading that Heat is an issue with both, and it seems the ST's are having issues with thermostats, of all things. Some thoughts on the two would be nice. AND I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF OPINIONS ON THIS BOARD!!!! :rofl:

The other issue is whether to trade my 2007 Bandit 1250S or sell it outright. It has 7500 miles on it, a relatively new set of PR2's (about 3500 miles on them), and a new Suzuki Gel Seat. It's never been down, never ridden in the rain, and it's kept in a garage with a cover on it.

I'm confused and need you guys to smack me around a bit :giveup:

Is the bandit paid for? if so keep the bandit for daily commutes and get either one for the two up riding. i think either way its a win win situation for you.

You have to ask yourself if the Wing is for you or your wife. If it is for you, the ST is a great choice. If it is for the wife, nothing else (well, maybe an Ultra Glide) will come close in terms of passenger accommodations.

Kurt, why ya gotta go making sense like that? :doh:

I'm sure the accommodations were what she was thinking of when she mentioned it. Geez, for the passenger on a GW, it's like sitting in a recliner! I just don't care for the size. Or, maybe she's compensating.... :rofl:

I would vote for the C-14! I just came off a ZX-14 and trust me, once you've had that wickedly smooth killer of an engine, it's hard to let go. I seriously considered going to the Concours but decided it was overkill as 90% of my riding is the commuting / short tour type. I figured the Bandit was the more responsible choice. :zen: But then again, you know what they say "Responsibility is way overrated!"

PS So far I have been well pleased with my "Responsible Bandit" but I do miss that Kawasaki Powerhouse of an engine! Have I confused you anymore yet! :lol2:

I have been with a ST1300, let me tell you that they are faster then you might think. I know that they have the werid tires and 5 speed but you might be impressed. FJR's are very nice as well and quick, my friend just traded his VFR for a C-14, he is shocked as well. All of the touring bikes save the goldwing (no exp with it) are very nice and in a different class then the B1250. Good luck with your choice and I'm sure you will enjoy any of the three that I have listed. On the C-14 you can removed the secondarys and have a very fast ride if desired.

Mark

Speed is really not an issue. Heck, the Bandit is about the fastest thing I've ever ridden. I thought about the FJR too. Price is really not a consideration. I want a full fairing, adjustable windshield, and plenty of luggage space. Also has to be a four-banger - can't do the twin thing anymore. It is surprising that the Concourse seems the cheapest of the three!

I think the goldwing is in a different class altogether for touring compared with the sport tourers. Its more of the comfortable straight line kind of bike. If I were you I'd keep the bandit if you went that route as its such a different style of bike.

If you do sell it you get roughly 25% more money for private sales versus trade-in.

I'd love an FJR, the 06's and up are much better than prior years. They fixed most of the heat issues that caused the rider to bake. I personally have issues with Kawasaki due to the quality issues I've had with my mean streak but you could consider a nomad or C14. There's also royal star ventures and the like. There really aren't too many incredibly comfortable 4 cylinders for two up riding, but many of them are fine for solo.

Find a mega dealer and sit on everything you can.

Road a GW 1800 from Oakland to Miami On one of my midlife crises.
Went into Kings canyon in Calf. can't say enough good about that bike for its size it will make short work carving a curve. It was also nice on the 22 hr.
run from Flagstaff to Oklahoma City over to somewhere east of Dallas
(Iron Butt Run)

Check out ST/SV's comment regarding comparison of two-up riding on ST1300 and C-14 (post #33). He owns both and rides double on both.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=544765#post544765

My wife is happy with the ride on my ST so long as the top box is on (backrest and security blanket for her). She's tolerated up to 280 mile non-stop runs without complaints.

I'd love an FJR, the 06's and up are much better than prior years. They fixed most of the heat issues that caused the rider to bake.

+1
I think the FJR's are the sexiest looking of all the Sport Tours! Only think I can't figure out is why they have stuck with a 5 speed gear box?

+1
I think the FJR's are the sexiest looking of all the Sport Tours! Only think I can't figure out is why they have stuck with a 5 speed gear box?

Well, with the thrust/torque of the FJR, you really don't need to change gears as much. At 3100 rpms & change at 70 mph in 5th, there is no need to downshift on passing, just a twist of the wrist.:rider:

Now here's a post I can speak to with some degree of intelligence. :sun:

First off, let's start here, with a picture from this past summer after I gave the girls a bath:

August2008012.jpg

If you still love the Bandit, keep it. We have the big GL for long 2-up rides. But it's no replacement for spirited mountain rides on the Bandit. I also owned an ST1300 for 2 seasons. It's a bulletproof bike, but it's power is underwhelming for its girth and weight. And last Summer, we had a C14 for a weekend test ride from my local dealer/friend. Nice bike but I'd still prefer to have two tools for two different jobs - one for touring/scenery and one for more serious riding. And according to my wife (who is also a rider), there is just no comparing anything to the GL when it comes to passenger comfort.

Before buying, selling or trading anything, ask yourself what kind of riding you'll be using it for.
Either of the bikes you've mentioned, and even the one you currently have, is a good bike. These days there are no bad bikes, in my opinion at least, there are simply bad applications for bikes.

If you doubt the GL's ability to get around a corner,
look here.... http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

How much experience does your wife have sitting in the second seat? Get her on the different bikes you're considering to compare how they really feel.

Also, might she be happier with her own motorcycle? It's more fun to drive than ride; maybe she really wants a Bandit of her own...:rider:

Back