PDA

View Full Version : Hp2? Are they worth it?

jredford
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I am curious what the deal is with the HP2. Is it street or off road? What are the limitations?

There are several listed on ebay and they seem to depreciate rapidly.

Was there a significant redesign in 2008?

Please share your thoughts!!

:rider:

ekms377
01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
20k for a dirtbike?

Sleepy Weasel
01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I'd say they were leaning towards dirt when they designed it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/K6wkjOo90Kg&hl=en&fs=1

But, yeah, that's a lot of money to spend on a dirtbike.

X1Glider
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine in Amsterdam rides an HP2 in Enduros. He and a friend of his moved to it from a KTM LC4. Also, Jimmy Lewis rode one in the Erzberg Rodeo. Definitely off-road. There is a super-moto version if you want to play on the street though.

DFW_Warrior
01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Simple answer is, no, they aren't worth it. Yes, they can go off-road. But then again so can a KLR, so can a KTM, so can a WR, so can a CRF. Yet for some reason BMW figured out how to charge 2-4 times more than some of the other bikes I've just listed.

But then again, if you're wanting something that is really expensive and no one else owns one, then the BMW sure has that area cornered.

STrider
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Simple answer is, no, they aren't worth it. Yes, they can go off-road. But then again so can a KLR, so can a KTM, so can a WR, so can a CRF. Yet for some reason BMW figured out how to charge 2-4 times more than some of the other bikes I've just listed.

But then again, if you're wanting something that is really expensive and no one else owns one, then the BMW sure has that area cornered.

While I agree with that line of thinking, Bill, a part of me also thinks that's like saying, for instance, a Sprint ST can go down the road just like, oh, I dunno, a TW 200, maybe.....

In that sense, to me, if it's "worth it" to the buyer, then it's worth it. If somebody wants to get there undergarments in a bind, or make judgements about other people based on their preferences, then forget 'em.

Sorry for rambling, dunno what came over me.;-)

DFW_Warrior
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
While I agree with that line of thinking, Bill, a part of me also thinks that's like saying, for instance, a Sprint ST can go down the road just like, oh, I dunno, a TW 200, maybe.....

I agree. I should have clarified a little better. Of all the bikes I mentioned, minus the KLR, all will do everything that the HP2 will do offroad. And also of all the bike I mentioned, they will do what the HP2 can do, easier. They are lighter, narrower, and have better suspension. Those areas are king when it comes to off-road riding.

Yes, it can do amazing stuff with factory riders that have mad skills (and aren't footing the repair bill). But for most of us mortals, I think it's just yet another answer to a question that no one asked.

jredford
01-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd say they were leaning towards dirt when they designed it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/K6wkjOo90Kg&hl=en&fs=1

But, yeah, that's a lot of money to spend on a dirtbike.

WHAT AN AMAZING CLIMB!!

patricjft
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I think the last rider on the hill fell right at the top. Looks like it to me. Nice cut BMW.

Is it worth it, no. Not to me. But, to somebody else, maybe. A Ferrari isn't worth the price to me either when I can get a faster Vette for cheaper.

ed29
04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
With a top speed of 183 kph. or 113 mph converted it is one mile per hour faster than the highest speed I have ever measured on GPS with my CRF-450 on dirt using a plus one tooth countershaft sprocket. That was with half the horsepower, far less than half the weight, and at least as well done suspension, if not better.

Short answer is that it is not worth it to me. The price of one HP2 exceeds the value of my entire stable of bikes.

Desert Skies
04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
No way would I ever fork out that much for a dirt toy.

Would I like to have one? Duh...!YEAH!

Chirpy
04-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I dunno, I wouldn't mind one of these if someone else was buying...

http://www.visordown.com/news/images/2084/hp2%20sport.jpg

labandit
05-03-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't know how many of you guys have ridden serious dirt/dessert, but that thing would get you hurt. That engine sticking way out there would get in the way of any tight turning where you have to "nut-up" on the tank and stick your leg out. Not to mention, it just getting in the way period or the terrain an causing a crash. No Thanks.

D'artagnan
05-03-2009, 09:50 AM
With a top speed of 183 kph. or 113 mph converted it is one mile per hour faster than the highest speed I have ever measured on GPS with my CRF-450 on dirt using a plus one tooth countershaft sprocket. That was with half the horsepower, far less than half the weight, and at least as well done suspension, if not better.

Is that the bikes true top speed, or just the fastest that particular rider went on the straight?

Kit_McConnico
05-03-2009, 04:42 PM

In that sense, to me, if it's "worth it" to the buyer, then it's worth it. If somebody wants to get there undergarments in a bind, or make judgements about other people based on their preferences, then forget 'em.

Sorry for rambling, dunno what came over me.;-)

:clap: well put ST rider!

No way would I ever fork out that much for a dirt toy.

Would I like to have one? Duh...!YEAH!

Me too Desert Skies, me too.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind one of these if someone else was buying...

http://www.visordown.com/news/images/2084/hp2%20sport.jpg

:drool:

Desert Skies
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
With a top speed of 183 kph. or 113 mph converted it is one mile per hour faster than the highest speed I have ever measured on GPS with my CRF-450...

Yeahbbutt... It will get there a LOT quicker. :trust:

Eric2Tex
06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I like it. Rode with a guy who had one a few weeks back and it was the bike to have that day. I dunno if I'll ever buy one, certainly not new, but I'm going to go with the voice of experience.

http://eric2.smugmug.com/photos/179390865_NUiMV-L.jpg

ed29
06-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Is that the bikes true top speed, or just the fastest that particular rider went on the straight?
That is published top speed from the BMW literature, mine is measured by GPS. I am taking the BMW figure at face value. If there is a rider that can push it faster then I would think that BMW would publish that new number.
Yeahbbutt... It will get there a LOT quicker. :trust:
Hmmm... you should ride my CRF sometime. With the right traction and the rider all the way forward it is amazingly quick from zero to the ton. Next DFW Drag Wars I will have a street tire on the back and time it at Kennedale.

Tourmeister
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I like it. Rode with a guy who had one a few weeks back and it was the bike to have that day. I dunno if I'll ever buy one, certainly not new, but I'm going to go with the voice of experience.

http://eric2.smugmug.com/photos/179390865_NUiMV-L.jpg

Were you actually riding with Glenn? I did not realize he bought (or a sponsor provided him with) one of these. When he did his big round the world trip he was riding a Dakar 650GS.

bushwhacker
06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
If it's the bike that moves your soul then it is worth it.

If it is just a utility bike for a specific purpose then I would find a cheaper alternative.

Just my free opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

Eric2Tex
06-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Were you actually riding with Glenn? I did not realize he bought (or a sponsor provided him with) one of these. When he did his big round the world trip he was riding a Dakar 650GS.

No, I didn't ride with him. I saw Glenn at west fest in '07, He did an x-rated presentation that would have curled your hair for sure. That dude knows adventure, although I find his propensity to photograph himself in those positions a bit disturbing. That bike is the successor to his F650. AFAIK it was purchased by him and not a sponsor, though proceeds from his book surely allayed the cost.

Hemibee
06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Just my free opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

That would be cheap at twice the price.... :mrgreen:

Would I buy one? Nope but someone could give me one and I will test it for them.

Tourmeister
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
No, I didn't ride with him. I saw Glenn at west fest in '07, He did an x-rated presentation that would have curled your hair for sure. That dude knows adventure, although I find his propensity to photograph himself in those positions a bit disturbing. That bike is the successor to his F650. AFAIK it was purchased by him and not a sponsor, though proceeds from his book surely allayed the cost.

:tab Yeah, we saw him give a presentation at the former BMW Woodlands shop and it was NOT the X-rated version... It was very good though. Some of us took him out for dinner afterward and it was fun to chat with him. If your wife is cute, make sure he knows who she's with ;-)

ben1364
12-13-2009, 08:01 AM

"Yet for some reason BMW figured out how to charge 2-4 times more than some of the other bikes I've just listed." The marketplace determines the transaction price...

backspinnn
12-13-2009, 08:21 AM
If you have to ask why, you may never understand with motorcycles.

The HP2 is a monster. I have sat on a couple and if I were alot taller I think I would have bought one. I will stick with my KTM for offroad, but for wide open races like Baja or Dakar the HP2 may be a contender if BMW gets some good factory riders.

aa5ib
12-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Are they worth it, of course not. The price is too high, the tank is way too small, and the seat is like sitting on a 2 x 4.

It is a thrill every time I ride it, absolutely!

http://aa5ib.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Ride-5-17-2009/Ride-5-17-09-012a/539080621_zH4bQ-L.jpg

Sun is burning off the fog, time to go riding.

DFW_Warrior
12-13-2009, 09:18 AM
"Yet for some reason BMW figured out how to charge 2-4 times more than some of the other bikes I've just listed." The marketplace determines the transaction price...

I agree. That's why I can't count the number of KLR owners just on this one forum because they are so numerous, yet I only know of one HP2 rider on this forum and that's only because he just posted a picture of his bike a few minutes ago. You are right, the market determines everything.

The HP2 is a monster. I have sat on a couple and if I were alot taller I think I would have bought one. I will stick with my KTM for offroad, but for wide open races like Baja or Dakar the HP2 may be a contender if BMW gets some good factory riders.

For Dakar, they are not allowed because of the displacement. And for Baja, it would make more sense that BMW would push their 450cc dirt bike along with everyone else riding the same displacement bikes. They already have a darn good factory team for the 450's.

ben1364
12-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Are they worth it, of course not. The price is too high, the tank is way too small, and the seat is like sitting on a 2 x 4.

It is a thrill every time I ride it, absolutely!

http://aa5ib.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Ride-5-17-2009/Ride-5-17-09-012a/539080621_zH4bQ-L.jpg

Sun is burning off the fog, time to go riding.

"It is a thrill every time I ride it, absolutely!"
You captured it! There is no way to justify a motorcycle, any motorcycle based on economics.

aggie81
12-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I've never considered the boxer engine or single-sided swingarm the ideal configuration for a dirt bike. However, I guess that's not relevant to what the bike is worth to a buyer who wants that machine. There are plenty of people out there who think that Hondas are not worth the money, and head to Pep Boys for a Chinese model.

In the end, I guess it's all a question of what you're willing to settle for. Personally, I'm quite content having settled for my DRZ. Besides, if I fall down, I won't cry! However, when it comes to a road bike, the only thing I've been happy with is a BMW boxer. As they say, different strokes for different folks.