• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

stuck! 28jan09

Reaction score
this is when I first got stuck, it would get worse. I thought I'd get right out after moving some sand from the front wheel. I couldn't believe just how quickly the rear sunk! I wish I got a pic of the hole i left behind that I had to did with my hands before I could tip the bike over onto it's side. It became like quicksand down deeper and I was a mess by the time I got out of this first hole. I didn't dare take the camera out and get all my stuff covered in sand. I got stuck two more times a few yard ahead till I got out. I didn't bury the wheel after learning the hard way on the first hole and just laid the bike over and dragged it out, stood it up and took off, again to get stuck and repeat the whole operation. I got stuck another two times while almost out of this area further on. I should have been toast and went back home, but after getting back on the bike and moving on I felt good again, just like that time during the gatorbait enduro last year at this time.(ask me about my coffee story) I rode to the mansfield jetties then back along the beach side for the way home. No one was on the beach that day as it looked like rain, and was cold and windy. I went on reserve at 50, out at 68, got home at 74 and had to use one of my two msr fuel bottles to get back. I'm training for the baja 1000 race, so I rode all the tough parts as much as I could. the north end of the island sure looks different everytime I go up there. Just before I got stuck I was saying to myself just how nicely it was all drying up out here, then .........

stuck.jpg

Makes you glad you are on a 250lbs bike instead of a 350lbs one, eh?

oh yeah!

are you headed to big bend in feb? with your wr? I'd like to ride with like minded bikes/riders, not the big street bikes, if you know what I mean.

When I was in college, I had a Yamaha 360 Enduro. I was riding it on the beach of Lake Keystone, OK when the rear tire was sucked into the sand - up to the axle. Could not get it out. A nearby farmer saw me and tried to drag my bike out with his pickup - which also got stuck in the sand. Another farmer saw us and used his tractor to pull each one of us out.

Getting stuck happened very fast. Getting out took a long time. I ride on the street now.

I had never been stuck out there before, but I sure knew it could happen, easily. I have to warn my buddies with suvs to be oh so very careful out there.

I was once stuck on a west texas drying lake bed. a pickup truck saw us out there and thought it was ok, they got stuck too. had to build a road using brush to get out, after helping the pickup get out first.

Dennis, you need to stop preparing for Baja. You are already qualified as evidenced by the photo from a friend pre-running last year.

It's time for you to find a riding partner down there isn't it?

Attachments

• P1000802.jpg
    P1000802.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 188
oh yeah!

are you headed to big bend in feb? with your wr? I'd like to ride with like minded bikes/riders, not the big street bikes, if you know what I mean.

Yep, only taking the WR for this trip. It'll be nice to finally meet you.

maybe a 450 cc bike!

have you a story about getting stuck with that much bike?

I had to get pyg out of a mud wallow once. all I could do is tip her on her side and work one end at a time. Once I got to Terra firmma, I was so pooped I could hardly stand her up.

Dennis, you need to stop preparing for Baja. You are already qualified as evidenced by the photo from a friend pre-running last year.

It's time for you to find a riding partner down there isn't it?

ooooh yuck! yeah, bet that was some fun getting out! a big part about riding offroad is knowing where NOT to go! I try to ride with buddies, but hey, they're just not able to ride as much as I do ...... and I'm never all that far way from some kind of help, at least self help. besides, I'm training for the B1K, whose gonna train that much with me? down here we mostly got mx wheenies, I can't even get them to do an enduro!

yesterday I was out on a dog search and rescue. seems the dogs had bolted after some birds and kept going. I was called in to help track them down. after talking with some fishermen/campers it was discovered some kids took the dogs in the back of their pickup. names and phone numbers were on the collars but no phone call came in, yet. flyers are being made and one tv station did a spot on it on their local news.

I had to get pyg out of a mud wallow once. all I could do is tip her on her side and work one end at a time. Once I got to Terra firmma, I was so pooped I could hardly stand her up.

I used to get pretty tired wrestling bikes too, until I gave up coffee a year ago because of my cholesterol levels. it was tough to do, but i can't argue with the results! it worked so good it's letting me think I can do the B1K!

here's a few from another time, not in the sand muck though, just good ol'clay mud!

DSCN2302.jpg

DSCN2296b.jpg

DSCN2309.jpg

I was jumping a little high spot on the end of this hole, with hopes to make it across, ooops, not far enough!
DSCN2311.jpg

I envy your riding skills!!! I am too old and lazy to do that stuff! I want to enjoy the ride! That's why I look for the other old phfart riders! AND Sidecar riders! MyUral has two wheel drive, but sinks in soft mud! So, I just go around it! Good luck on your rides, I ride the sand at Padre, but not like you! I will be taking the tw down to the sand later in Feb. After BB!

ooooh yuck! yeah, bet that was some fun getting out! a big part about riding offroad is knowing where NOT to go!

Judging by all your pictures... I would say you have not yet figured out the "where NOT to go" part yet :rofl: Either that or you really enjoy getting stuck :-P

Great shots. I think a few of those are going into the TWT front page collection I am working on :thumb:

yell at me when you get here, we'll go ride some easy stuff up to the port mansfield jetties, and if you want we'll go over to the rio grande river part of the beach too, we call that the "boca" side .....

Judging by all your pictures... I would say you have not yet figured out the "where NOT to go" part yet :rofl: Either that or you really enjoy getting stuck :-P

Great shots. I think a few of those are going into the TWT front page collection I am working on :thumb:

I'd have to admit, it's tough trying to stay away from the mud at times, at least I know what I'm getting into if I do venture too close!

use any pics you like, if you want higher res files just let me know .....

I'm about to head back out there again, and I'm gonna avoid those super soft sections this time! this will mostly be a speed run, training for my baja 1K race. I'm gonna try doing this early in the mornings at first light, before work, then start doing "laps" of this run until I work up to about a 12 hour run.

the big bummer though is I heard there's a few bricks of cocaine that has washed up on the shore, so there's gonna be more "attention" up there than what I'm liking. I hope they don't think I'm one of their "runners" or I could be in for some deep crap!

Back