• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Summer Jacket -- Joe Rocket or First Gear

leekellerking

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
King
I am soon to be in the market for a new mesh, summer jacket as the zipper on the right sleeve of my Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 gave out and (I hope) I am getting a refund from New Enough.

My question is this -- should I go with a Joe Rocket 5 or a First Gear Mesh Tex jacket (to match my First Gear pants)? Or should I go with Door Number 3?

The Mesh Tex and Phoenix 5 are the same price (and free shipping) at New Enough, BTW.

Any suggestions or comments? (I know you have them! :lol2: ).

Lee

I had a First Gear mesh jacket - I don't recall the model. I was quite upset when the paramedics cut it off me, as it was "still good" (or so I insisted in my state of shock). i was quite pleased with it.

In general, I have noticed that the First Gear jackets are less... "gaudy"... than the Joe Rocket ones - I'm not a fan of giant freaking brand emblems.

I have a First Gear mid-weight jacket (good for down to 25 with liner, up to 80 without) that I wear 3 months a year. It's a very good jacket.

I gave up on Joe Rocket gear. I have had a couple jackets and a couple pairs of gloves that just didn't last very long. I have a Cortech jacket that is constructed very well and my wife's Olympia gear seems to be built very nicely.

If you get the First Gear, you can zip them to your pants. Also, I don't know if you have long monkey arms like me but First Gear also comes in Tall sizes. (No offense to Spank or any of the other monkeys lurking)

I'm with mjacks, I don't think Joe Rocket lasts as long as the other stuff. I have a pair of gloves that have ripped so I have decided I'm done with JR.

I've had good results from my Joe Rocket gear. My leather Stingray and mesh Reactor jackets have held up well through 7 years of daily commuting and many weekend cruises. Only this past year has one of the sleeve seams on the Reactor started pulling and it's actually the material and not the stitch coming apart.

In contrast, I had a pair of Olympia summer gloves that started coming apart a couple of months after I started using them. In short order, the leather wore through and they were done with less than 12 months use.

I have owned a couple of Joe rocket jackets, pants and gloves. Between my wife and I the only gear we seem to have quality issues with is the Joe Rocket stuff.** I can destroy a pair of thier gloves in a summer usually.

I recommend tourmaster and Alpinestars for better quality. Alpinestars are usually pretty trendy like Joe Rockeet and my only complaint is they tend to use plastic zippers which worries me, even though one has never broke on me. When my favorite jacket goes I will be going with tourmaster but they are a little less stylish. I'm old I have no one to impress.

**Disclaimer: My favorite Jacket that I wear 90% of the time is a Ballistic 3.0 3/4 length. It has had a few problems but I just really like the design.

I have owned a couple of Joe rocket jackets, pants and gloves. Between my wife and I the only gear we seem to have quality issues with is the Joe Rocket stuff.** I can destroy a pair of thier gloves in a summer usually.

I recommend tourmaster and Alpinestars for better quality. Alpinestars are usually pretty trendy like Joe Rockeet and my only complaint is they tend to use plastic zippers which worries me, even though one has never broke on me. When my favorite jacket goes I will be going with tourmaster but they are a little less stylish. I'm old I have no one to impress.

**Disclaimer: My favorite Jacket that I wear 90% of the time is a Ballistic 3.0 3/4 length. It has had a few problems but I just really like the design.

Yea, it was the stupid plastic zipper that gave way.

Lee

Yea, it was the stupid plastic zipper that gave way.

Lee

Not to derail you but I had a Phoenix and I just never liked the mesh jackets much. I was always cold and just never felt safe. The tourmaster Transition II jackets have lost of vents and a snap to hold the collar open. (What I'm looking at next) Between all that you stay pretty comfy without giving up any safety. Just my two cents.

It's funny after I typed the post I went to see if I even still had the pheonix and I still do. I never wear it and really thought I sold it already.

I've had good results from my Joe Rocket gear. My leather Stingray and mesh Reactor jackets have held up well through 7 years of daily commuting and many weekend cruises. Only this past year has one of the sleeve seams on the Reactor started pulling and it's actually the material and not the stitch coming apart.

In contrast, I had a pair of Olympia summer gloves that started coming apart a couple of months after I started using them. In short order, the leather wore through and they were done with less than 12 months use.

I remember reading that Joe Rocket's quality has decreased over time and maybe you got it when they were still doing good work. :shrug: Could be that their higher priced stuff is still good and they cut corners on the lower end items.

Either way, I am much better at spotting quality stuff now than when I started riding.

Not to derail you but I had a Phoenix and I just never liked the mesh jackets much. I was always cold and just never felt safe. The tourmaster Transition II jackets have lost of vents and a snap to hold the collar open. (What I'm looking at next) Between all that you stay pretty comfy without giving up any safety. Just my two cents.

It's funny after I typed the post I went to see if I even still had the pheonix and I still do. I never wear it and really thought I sold it already.

I considered a non-mesh jacket, but after riding last August in my JR Phoenix, I'm not sure I could make it in anything that flowed less air.

Lee

I have the joe rocket jacket and have not had a bit of trouble. Used it everyday all last summer. i have even washed a couple of times. Zipper, seems and fit are perfect.

I have a Phoenix jacket that I wear year round. No problems with quality or lasting long, great ventilation in the summer. Cooler weather I'll use the liner and a windstopper fleece to stay warm. I'm on my second one. The first one lasted 4 years of constant use both street and dirt. The sleeve cuffs started to fray a littel but no other issues. I still use it for dual sport riding.

I just picked up an Alpinestars T-RC-1 Air-Flo jacket. I've only ridden in it once so far, but it was almost like not wearing a jacket at all - very nice!

330518_blue_l.jpg

I hope to buy the new jacket this weekend and I have a NEW question or two.

Has anyone had any experience with the Joe Rocket Reactor II leather & mesh jacket?

Default.jpg

I wonder if it is as cool (temperature wise, not "cool" wise) as the all mesh Phoenix 5 jacket?

New Enough has it for $159.99, compared to $134.99 for the Phoenix 5.

Discussion? Comments?

Lee

I am soon to be in the market for a new mesh, summer jacket as the zipper on the right sleeve of my Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 gave out and (I hope) I am getting a refund from New Enough.

My question is this -- should I go with a Joe Rocket 5 or a First Gear Mesh Tex jacket (to match my First Gear pants)? Or should I go with Door Number 3?

The Mesh Tex and Phoenix 5 are the same price (and free shipping) at New Enough, BTW.

Any suggestions or comments? (I know you have them! :lol2: ).

Lee

In Texas heat your gonna sweat. Period. This fact established, I opt for perfed leather. Crashes better. ;-)

In Texas heat your gonna sweat. Period. This fact established, I opt for perfed leather. Crashes better. ;-)

Except that I noticed this morning that I need a new front tire, soon. :doh:

I will probably go with the Phoenix 5 and a new front tire. I was happy with the Phoenix 4, except for the blown zipper. And that was probably partially my fault.

Lee

My 2cents on the Phoenix vs Reactor is the leather on the sleeves and shoulders of the Reactor can help it survive a pavement inspection incident better than the all textile Phoenix can. It makes it more than a "single-use" piece of safety equipment.
(this assumes the Reactor II is similar to the Reactor I have with perf'ed leather on the sleeves and shoulders)

I would go with the reactor if it's comfortable and your style. It would just be a little safer. Once again this is just my two cents.

I would go with the reactor if it's comfortable and your style. It would just be a little safer. Once again this is just my two cents.

Well, I wish they made it in hi-viz yellow, but it more-or-less my style. However, as mentioned above, I may go with the Phoenix 5 because I need a new tire. :-(

And I want the absolute most air flow for this comming (like in a week or so) summer.

I'll have to ask the wife. :eek2:

Lee

Except that I noticed this morning that I need a new front tire, soon. :doh:

I will probably go with the Phoenix 5 and a new front tire. I was happy with the Phoenix 4, except for the blown zipper. And that was probably partially my fault.

Lee

got a set of pilot powers in the garage. :)

Back