• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Opening up factory header

rworm

Reaction score
Before I ordered a new header ,thought I would see what I could do
with the stock one.I had already removed the weld at the exhaust port
on the header.Today I cut the header into workable pieces to see if I
could get the inner tubing out(I CAN AND DID) almost ready to start welding
it back up. The inner tube is 1'' ID
The outer tube is almost 1 1/2 ID--Look at the pics/

bandit013-2.jpg

bandit014-2.jpg

bandit016-1.jpg

bandit017-1.jpg

So are you trying to remove only parts of the inner pipe or get rid of it the whole length? Are you worried about removing too much backpressure and will you be taking it to a dyno to check your results? Very interesting project.

So are you trying to remove only parts of the inner pipe or get rid of it the whole length? Are you worried about removing too much backpressure and will you be taking it to a dyno to check your results? Very interesting project.
I have all the inner removed
The aftermarket headers have no inner pipe
Dyno will be coming

As rworm said, aftermarket headers are a larger diameter without restriction and there's no apparent loss of low/midrange delivery as a result, either on the dyno or on the road.

Hey rworm!!

I got to ride the Bandit to work one day this week. We had a freak day in the 50's. It was really great!! Months without riding REALLY sucks!

Anyhow, I hadn't checked in here much lately....but, I see you're still hard at work!! :clap:

Nice job, looks like you dropped some weight and got a little more oomph. Nice to be able to weld at home.

Mark

how did you go about removing the inner pipes from the curved section of the header?

Don't no about the header chop job, but I have a band saw just like that and looking at yours vs mine, somebody done a dang good job customizing & custom painting yours.:scratch:

Exhaust flow is a complex science. I can't help but wonder if it's a good idea to leave the bulge where the CAT' once was(?). Wouldn't it be better to replace that bulge with a straight pipe, eliminating any undue turbulence or anomaly created by that wannabe expansion chamber?

And eliminating that inner pipe would have me considering the opportunity to get your new system ceramic coated BOTH inside and out. Given as how there was no exhaust that touched the walls of your (outer) pipes, they should accept a ceramic coating with no problems.

On the other hand, if you coat only the inside of the pipes, blast the outside of 'em, maybe getting them chromed...... installing them on the bike, then wiping them down with mineral spirits (cleaning off ANY & ALL oil from your fingers), sitting over night before starting the bike..... well, let's just say that the resulting gold/blue/purple of hot pipes could be beautiful...(!)

Exhaust flow is a complex science. I can't help but wonder if it's a good idea to leave the bulge where the CAT' once was(?). Wouldn't it be better to replace that bulge with a straight pipe, eliminating any undue turbulence or anomaly created by that wannabe expansion chamber?

I don't know........I would think that it would flow better than stock
but the ''bulge'' was still there with inner tubing and cat out. I might be wrong
and if I am I'll order a header....No harm in playin....I like goin the home
tuner readin plugs type of stuff.Its all fun to me

The bulge will cause a low pressure area and disrupt the flow somewhat. Still should be better then with the cat but not dialied to where it could be. Let us know how it works out.

p.s. get a fuel adder as well, you will not believe what it adds to the game.

Mark

Got it back on the bike last night and took a short ride.
All i can say is WOW!!! I'll get some pics later where i used 1 1/2''muffler
pipe to get rid of the factory collector(Heavy)but I torched out all the inside liners to the end of the pipe,where it is only a shell--"Whatever you see on
the outside is whats on the inside"
Bike lost nothin anywhere!!!Big time difference pulling up the rpm's to
the rev limiter.I have to resync this morn. cause i would think that
it would be off but thats quik and easy.
Anyway I'll get some pics later
rworm

Got it back on the bike last night and took a short ride.
All i can say is WOW!!! I'll get some pics later where i used 1 1/2''muffler
pipe to get rid of the factory collector(Heavy)but I torched out all the inside liners to the end of the pipe,where it is only a shell--"Whatever you see on
the outside is whats on the inside"
Bike lost nothin anywhere!!!Big time difference pulling up the rpm's to
the rev limiter.I have to resync this morn. cause i would think that
it would be off but thats quik and easy.
Anyway I'll get some pics later
rworm

You know to be fair your WOW!!! really needs to be quantified by a dyno run. :rider:

Back