• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ktm???

Reaction score
Hi.

I started researching recent 4 stroke dirt bikes, and confused with KTM model numbering.
What do SX, EXC, XC and XCW mean?

Thanks in advance for ya help!
Ken

Ktm makes a more specific line than the Japanese.

short version is
SX is a motocross style
XC is intended more for cross country, more hard core
XCF is more cross country with a softer ride for the average racer.
EXC is more enduro intended for the long rides.

That is my take and is my very basic view.

They use different bore & stroke along with gearing and suspensions to make the differences . Chose your style of riding and you could make any of them competitive in any class of racing.

Ktm makes a more specific line than the Japanese.

short version is
SX is a motocross style
XC is intended more for cross country, more hard core
XCF is more cross country with a softer ride for the average racer.
EXC is more enduro intended for the long rides.

That is my take and is my very basic view.

They use different bore & stroke along with gearing and suspensions to make the differences . Chose your style of riding and you could make any of them competitive in any class of racing.
I'll add to that:
XC -2 stroke, kick start
XCF = 4 stroke kick start
EXC - 4 stroke e-start.

I'll add to that:
XC -2 stroke, kick start
XCF = 4 stroke kick start
EXC - 4 stroke e-start.

I'll add that the XCF 4-strokes have electric start also.

I'll also add that the XC-W 2-strokes are more trail oriented with their softer suspensions and have a wider ratio gearbox than the XC two strokes. The XC-W 250 and XC-W 300 2-strokes also get the magic electric start button.

Same for the XC-FW 4-strokes.

The current EXC line are street legal enduros.

the exc line has a 6 speed gear box, which is one of the reasons I'm seriously considering an older 450exc to DS.

I believe that...and it may not be all model years, but there's also a difference in flywheel weight between the models.

Thank you for the input!

I ride mostly trail, no jump, maybe enduro race and considring to street legal it for fairly short distance ride.
So XC-F or EXC, 250 or 450 four stroke is maybe for me?

Thank you,
Ken

Some of the previous post are not completely accurate- but they are close enough to give you good inforamtion.

The models have evolved over the years- so you have to consider the year too. For instance, in 2004 an EXC model was an enduro bike for off road use only. In 2009 an EXC is a street-legal enduro bike from the factory. Other KTMs are easy to convert to street lagal bikes- XCWs come pre-wired for lights. But it takes a light kit and a lighting coil modification to accomplish.

Most of all the new KTMs have E-start (2T and 4T). Before 2008, many models did not.

You may be dissapointed with a 250 4T if you are going to ride much at highway speeds. But then again, it might suit you fine. For me, it is a little short on power.

Personally, I have a 450 XCW that I converted to a street legal. It is not so good on the highway- but it RIPS ofrf road.

Ken, wished I would have known you were interested in KTM's. I would have let you ride mine during the New Waverly ride. Your more than welcome to check it out any time. It's a 450 EXC.

Some of the previous post are not completely accurate- but they are close enough to give you good inforamtion.

The models have evolved over the years- so you have to consider the year too. For instance, in 2004 an EXC model was an enduro bike for off road use only. In 2009 an EXC is a street-legal enduro bike from the factory. Other KTMs are easy to convert to street lagal bikes- XCWs come pre-wired for lights. But it takes a light kit and a lighting coil modification to accomplish.

Most of all the new KTMs have E-start (2T and 4T). Before 2008, many models did not.

You may be dissapointed with a 250 4T if you are going to ride much at highway speeds. But then again, it might suit you fine. For me, it is a little short on power.

Personally, I have a 450 XCW that I converted to a street legal. It is not so good on the highway- but it RIPS ofrf road.

Wow, plated 450XCW surely sounds great!
If I get 250, I would not really expecting much for highway use. It will be back road & fire road only.

Ken, wished I would have known you were interested in KTM's. I would have let you ride mine during the New Waverly ride. Your more than welcome to check it out any time. It's a 450 EXC.

Hi, Scott,
I seriously started looking at KTM since this Monday!
Thanks though for the offer!

Ken

Orange is nice....I've heard.

Can't say enough goodstuff about the xr400. The xr is bulletproof and darn hard to break...even purposely. Yamaha made a similar model that had a yearmodel or two with buildquality issues. For average riding I'd still go oldschool aircooled myself. My personal experience would be to recomend to stay the heck away from anything green or yellow.

While your shopping around give the gasgas models a go. Their 4stroker I've heard great things about. The 300-2stroker is an awesome machine too...unless you unknowingly get a factory bike and it eats your inexperienced (donkey) for lunch. :mrgreen:

OK.
I rode this bike on last Saturday, and found this baby is totally different from DRZ250. Like kids science experience toy v.s. professional precision tool kinda difference.

Huge power band from the bottom so you do not need to rev it like 2 stroker.
Excellent suspension. You can go through most gap without feeling any when compare with DRZ. Automatically you can ride faster and less fatigue.
Light weight. Feels a lot lighter than my 250. Gain confident going into trickier section.
Great handling. Turns the way you want to go naturally.

No wonder why people goes to KTM even though they are more pricy.

DSCF3905.jpg

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3900.jpg

DSCF3904.jpg

Thank you!!!
Ken

KTM's are awesome bikes. It is like buying a Porsche instead of a Karmann Ghia. All of the suspension components are state of the art from the factory & then you can buy upgrades. The engines are made with forged parts, not cast. They really last.
I have a 2001 EXC 250 2- stroke. I wanted a 2 stroke and figured their market life was short due to EPA standards. It is hard for me to think it is that old, but still a very competitive bike. Way better than I am anyway.
My first REAL M/C was a 1973 Penton 175 Jackpiner. An American bike with world class parts. Cerrianni forks and a KTM motor. The first Pentons had Sachs engines under the hood (Tank). I have 1 1/2 of that model also, a 1972 Berkshire. RH

Last edited:
Back