• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thanks to Richard and Uncle

Rick M

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Miller
I had a great time for my first offroad ride in the Big Bend area.Rode with Richard,Milton,Big Don,Pink,Baha Boo,Jeff, and had a blast . :rider: Thanks to everyone that made this a good non event .
Rick M

I too must thank uncle and Richard for a great time! Camped on uncles property for a few evenings - many thanks for that as well. I had the pleasure of riding with uncle and ten other folks on Friday. We rode uncles favorite loop. Challenging for a newbie like myself - but my deep sand and deep gravel skills had markedly imrpoved by the end of the ride (Thanks to good advice from Gary "Baja Rat" - and the fact that I REALLY didn't want to pick the bike up, AGAIN) Big thanks to Primo and several riders whos name I didn't catch for helping pick the bike up (all three times:doh: ). But hey - who's counting - right! I'll be back next year (if not before) - better prepared and with more experience and skills under my belt.

Craig aka equipment junkie

Uncle and Richard:
I really enjoyed my time in Big Bend. I had a great time on our Adventures and had some great riding partners.
Here are a few pictures for you that could not make it> Sorry Big A!

Attachments

• 479293460_bwxmk-M.jpg
    479293460_bwxmk-M.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 479293894_RpyPD-M.jpg
    479293894_RpyPD-M.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 479293777_C75uH-M.jpg
    479293777_C75uH-M.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 479293312_asbd3-M.jpg
    479293312_asbd3-M.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 213
no pic's to busy hanging on to the "big pig" but do want to thank richard and uncle for a great time at big bend and for all those that I put in arms way getting around I was not trying to go faster than you I was just trying to keep the gs adventure right side up and sometimes that took more speed than the smaller bikes ! so cheers to all can't wait till juntion!!!:clap:

Another big thanks to Uncle Roger and Richard for putting this non-rally on. I had a great time. Thanks to Voni too for hooking the Tourmeister and I up with a sweet camping spot. It was right in the middle of everything.

Hey GL1800, was that you on "Uncle's favorite roads" ride Friday? He was going a little too slow for me too, so, with his approval, a guy on a KTM, a guy on a GS (you?), and I went on ahead. BTW, I got a great picture of the narcoleptic KTM at Terlingua creek bottom.

Saturday we rode into the park and did Black Gap road. I really enjoyed the challenging section of it. Then we rode up into the basin where the temperature dropped quickly from the elevation. We also had a ranger flip on his lights for us to slow down. With such a nice curvy road, it was really hard to do 35mph.

Steve

Another big thanks to Uncle Roger and Richard for putting this non-rally on. I had a great time. Thanks to Voni too for hooking the Tourmeister and I up with a sweet camping spot. It was right in the middle of everything.

Hey GL1800, was that you on "Uncle's favorite roads" ride Friday? He was going a little too slow for me too, so, with his approval, a guy on a KTM, a guy on a GS (you?), and I went on ahead. BTW, I got a great picture of the narcoleptic KTM at Terlingua creek bottom.

Saturday we rode into the park and did Black Gap road. I really enjoyed the challenging section of it. Then we rode up into the basin where the temperature dropped quickly from the elevation. We also had a ranger flip on his lights for us to slow down. With such a nice curvy road, it was really hard to do 35mph.

Steve
Good meeting you Friday night, Steve. The KTM guy was Gary "BajaRat".

For those that haven't seen it, there's another ride report thread going in the general section, that's where I posted:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36912

Steve
YES That was me. I had to go ahead the GSA did not like a slow pace it would want to become a plow!! It's was great riding !!

keep the pics coming, hopefully next year I'll be out there with you guys

Ditto everything everyone says.
Kudos to Uncle & Richard. A big "thank you!" to Mrs. Dirtbike Dave for the Tees. Jerry for the great printing of the guide. Connie for putting up with Richard and all those others presently nameless. Sorry Tourmiester, a very big thank you!
It never fails to amaze me what wonderful people you can meet on two wheels. New ones show up and the ride ends with a very strong friendship afterward.

Meeelton, just give that old geezer a shot in the jaw and post those pics.
Rick and Don can just about take care of any taping or bending.
Baja Boo, please register so I can PM with questions about 23" sand and gravel.
Jeff, it is always good to have a strong dude to pick up bikes.
Cheers!
Pinklloyd

Does anyone have track logs of the routes ridden so that others may following in your tire tracks. It would be great if someone could post track logs here... I may be out that way the week of March 16th.

Thanks

All tracks are top secret and cannot be listed .:rofl: :rofl: :lol2:
You should have come with us it was fun ,fun , fun .
Just kidding
Rick M
Does anyone have track logs of the routes ridden so that others may following in your tire tracks. It would be great if someone could post track logs here... I may be out that way the week of March 16th.

Thanks

I wish I could have gone, but could not get away from work. I'd buy one of Richards Big Bend Guides (certainly a worthwhile purchase), but I am poor and cheap, have only enough money to make the trip; no excess for a guide.
When I go in March, I plan to ride the Old Ore Road, the River Road and it's appendages, and the county road to Terlinqua Ranch. I just don't know what else is out there, such as access to the east side of Big Bend Ranch or other roads north of Terlingua and Lajitas, hence the need for some track logs.
I am also interested in any DS roads from IH10 west to Marathon or Fort Davis. I know about Pandale road for example. I suspect most people get to Big Bend as directly as possible, on pavement, but I'd hoped to make the ride there more interesting. I'd welcome and appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks

I'd also like to than Richard and Uncle for putting on a great ride, and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet either one of you.
But,most of all, I want to thank the eight or ten guys that helped me put the lift gate back in place on my motor home. Some how,just as we got there,the motor on that heavy sucker quit working,and it was in the down position when it quit. That thing must weigh at least 500 pounds,and it aint easy to get a good hold on.
Some of the guys that helped were Jim Griftner (Grifts Cycle),Stan Hines,Bill Pando,Norman DeLamar,and Jim Stovall. I can't remember who the other guys were.........but thanks a ton.
Oh, and getting the bikes in and out of that thing,now that was a hoot!

anyone make it out here?

rockhousefront.jpg

rockhouseback.jpg

It's somewhere beyond the map ......

map.jpg

If you follow the road some more and keep going up, up, and up some more ....

theroad.jpg

ok, it was time to get off and scout this out some more. this is not a place for kickstands!

lookinguphill.jpg

lookingdownhill.jpg

this is the top, nothing to keep going for (this time anyway)

theend.jpg

fromthetop.jpg

after my week in big bend territory I headed to the concho enduro. there the hill climbs made this hill look easy! but since I was solo, and unsupported it was best just to play it safe, and save it for next time.

I've been playing around looking for what I call the "northwest passage" from this area over to the solitario in the state park. since the state park is now open to bikes this would be a cool route to take and then ride into the park and make a loop back to 107 river road. there's also those waterfalls up in the state park to go see ...... :sun:

Yea, rode all the way to the top of that hill... only to discover it ended with no place to turn around :doh: It's called "top of the world", according to a local.

you've jsut got to have a pic of you up at the top here huh? what were you riding on? anybody else with you? do you think there's a way to the solitario? by road or trail? I'm sure an off path could be scouted out using a river wash or gully or such. just gotta get past the blue range is all ......

Yea, myself, a guy named Dao and John (Irondawg) went up to where the trail ended... there were 2 others but they didn't make it all the way up, so I won't say who they were ;-) :-P Dao had a camera, but I don't know if he took any pictures... I didn't because it was really dusty and the sky was practically tan, with crappy visibility. Would've been some nice shots on a better day though.

We did find an awesome jeep trail that we think might have several possibilities, but decided to turn around after a few miles and save it for another trip when we had more time. It was pretty gnarly with big boulders etc., so it would have been kinda slow moving (compared to the other roads/trails out there).

There is no way into the Solitario area from Top of the World. The Solitario is in BBRSP and the only way in is off Casa Piedra Rd off 170, near Persidio.

Google Earth shows trails getting there but it's all private property.

You can get to the Solitario from the BBRSP.

I think I'll be scouting a few different trails via topo maps, googleearth, etc, then going into the tax records to see who owns what, then try to negotiate some access. It would make a great loop.

also, I was talking with a ranger and he said the fresno ranch was recently acquired by the state park, and there's a road going thru it. I gather it's from hwy170 to up north somewhere. that would also be a nice route to have available.

..... I need a new gps .... my 2610 went on the fritz ......

Back