• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

warn out clamping screws thread

Reaction score
Any advice about where I can get this warn out clamping screws thread fixed? I still have my 30 days warranty so I think the dealer will take care of it but if I can do it quickly and not too expensively , I would rather just take care of it and move on (and not have the bike having to stay t the dealer).

I was told to look for a Heli coil kit but I haven't found one sold in the area and I don't have a driller so I'll have to use someone.

Attachments

• clamping screws.jpg
    clamping screws.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 182
Maybe a socket head screw in the next larger size? Maybe in SAE if it is incrementally larger.
034_2shcsm_p.gif

Drill thru and put a nut on the bottom . A helicoil would have to be installed upside down from the bottom . That may be ok and maybe not . There are several patch ideas but all are only patches . The proper way to fix it is to replace the bottom fork section , if the dealer will do that let them . Every time you need to pull the front wheel a patch repair will give you problums . SEYA

That doesn't look like a place i'd be thinking about a patch repair, especially if it was under warranty.

That doesn't look like a place i'd be thinking about a patch repair, especially if it was under warranty.

I'm with Diderech. I would want it done under warranty, although I feel your pain on having your bike sitting at the shop.

Lee

I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have him replace the bottom fork section. I hope he won't try to run away from his responsibility (I choose to buy this bike and not a brand new one from AL (at the same price) since I figured that what goes around comes around , and that I need to be supportive of the local dealer. this is his chance to show me I did the right thing)

I'll update you guys and let you know what happened

Mati

That won't be covered under warranty. It's been over tightened.

Heli coil is the only way to go.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have him replace the bottom fork section. I hope he won't try to run away from his responsibility (I choose to buy this bike and not a brand new one from AL (at the same price) since I figured that what goes around comes around , and that I need to be supportive of the local dealer. this is his chance to show me I did the right thing)

I'll update you guys and let you know what happened

Mati

I would be surprised if this would be covered under warranty. It appears to be more of an issue of over tightening. IMHO

Helli coils done correctly will be as stout or stouter then the original material you had there. And, they are not hard to install. However, dealer may help you here as a compromise?

That won't be covered under warranty. It's been over tightened.

Heli coil is the only way to go.

The dealer did took care of it. and he even did it on the spot so I wouldn't have to go back and forth from Dallas to Decatur.

So far he gets a thumb up :thumb:

I also saw he had another factory demo 08 and 09 FE450 (if anyone is interested)

Mati

The dealer did took care of it. and he even did it on the spot so I wouldn't have to go back and forth from Dallas to Decatur.

So far he gets a thumb up :thumb:

I also saw he had another factory demo 08 and 09 FE450 (if anyone is interested)

Mati

Cool. How did he fix it?

Back