• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Opie's, spicewood I take back the negative reviews

Reaction score
Opies has been around for a few years. Last year they moved into a new fancy building right off of 71. Hours of operation seem to be constantly in flux. Last time I was there a few weeks back they were closing at 4pm every day "winter hours". This time they had signs stating closing time at 7pm, still "winter hours" though. For some reason, I've not had many good experiences since the move into the new digs, perhaps due to my schedule.

The opening of opie's brought a lawsuit from cooper's bbq, apparently Opie, or someone once worked the bbq pits at cooper's and that was deemed unfair competition, whatever. The lawsuit was dismissed, possibly because cooper's wasn't the first to serve off-the-pit bbq.

I got a late start Sunday, I was aiming for the garven store at mountain home, but leaving austin after noon, made the ride a bit longer than I would like so I thought I would give Opie's a try. Amazing what showing up for dinner on time will do for you.

They had a good crowd, and I was reassured by the Burnet co. LEOs eating there, thats always a good sign because if I were an LEO, I sure wouldn't waste my time eating crappy food. :lol2:

Anyway, my eyes always look for pork chops first, and take it from there. I was suspicious initially, but after a poke I was reassured I had made a good choice. There should be a course on choosing the best cuts, but to their credit I once chose a bad cut there and the mgmt noticed my struggle, and gave me an extra pork chop free! Can't beat that. One thing for sure, the food was no less expensive than coopers. MY chop and 1/2 lb of brisket to go was almost $30, at least the beans were free :trust:

The chop was good sized and cooked perfectly

479324693_cqZfV-M.jpg

Sides included potato salad, pinto, and butter beans (AKA lima beans)

479324763_bMZH4-M.jpg

You definitely want to try the sauce

479324996_tB53N-M.jpg

I ended up paying for my fondness of the jalapenos yesterday.

479325073_x4unA-L.jpg

I followed up with a dessert of tasty hill country backroads to marble falls on CR 401, then to oatmeal on CR341. Caught a brush fire in the distance off of FM1869 while successfully avoiding 1431, and found some nice CRs 183, 184
leading me to nameless road (always brings a smile, a road named nameless) before blitzing back to Austin on the toll roads

Why did you only eat the end off the peppers? :mrgreen:

Holy poo.... $30 for a pork chop and some brisket! I am so in the wrong business.

Opie's is a good little stop right after you leave Krause Springs for the day.
I thought the meat was pretty good. But the sides are what I thought were really good. They have a side that I believe is pretty uncommon (I'm no expert, but I had never heard of it - can't think of it for the life of me, but it's pretty good.

Surely somebody on here knows what I'm talking about - it's not your average side.

The Krause the Opies plan makes for a nice little day :-P

Back