• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend and Traveling to Mexico

jglow

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Glowicki
Big Bend and Traveling into Mexico

My wife and I are going to do a trip near the end of March to BBNP from the DFW area. Here is a link of our route: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...31.475524,-97.877197&spn=4.79648,9.887695&z=7

I have found a ton of useful info from this forum on Big Bend, however I haven't found too much about people experience in Ojinaga, Mexico. We are planning to exit BBNP from the West and take FM-170 to Presidio, and from there enter into mexico. I do not plan on going any further into mexico than Ojinaga. So, i guess my questions would be: 1.How were your experiences in Ojinaga (anything neat or must see?) 2.What would you recommend doing with the gear that is strapped onto the bike (somewhere safe to ditch/store in the US)3. Any good places to camp/lodge in Presidio?

I appreciate any input you can give me.

thanks,
jordan

Re: Big Bend and Traveling into Mexico

The US State Dept. is posting all kinds of travel warnings for Mexico. Gang wars, shoot outs with military with automatic weapons, kidnappings, heads being chopped off etc. I'd stay this side of the border.

PrairieParson

The US State Dept. is posting all kinds of travel warnings for Mexico. Gang wars, shoot outs with military with automatic weapons, kidnappings, heads being chopped off etc. I'd stay this side of the border.

PrairieParson

PrairieParson, thanks for the reply. i am aware of the troubles that some areas of Mexico are having, and do still want to go. We will only be in Ojinaga and only for a few hours in the daylight. I have not found any travel warnings for the OJ areas specifically. I do realize ANYTHING can happen ANYWHERE and do not want to limit myself due to this fact, and will of course check in at the border to ensure there is nothing currently going down. With that in mind, any suggestions to answer any of the questions in my previous post?

thanks,
Jordan

Uhm, okay. I lived in Mexico for about 6 weeks. I have travelled from Odessa/Presidio - Chihuahua a couple times.

Have you ever been to mexico? Have you ever crossed the border? Have your birth certificate or passport handy my friend! Be prepared to wait.

In any event, I really wouldn't recommend this. OJ wasn't really that bad a place when I went about a year ago, but it's a border town.

Border towns are awful. They're just......yuck. Take a look at Presidio, it's an AMERICAN border town and I don't think I'd stay there too long if I didn't have to. Border towns broken down, unpaved, constantly in flux due to travelling personages..

If you were going to Mexico City, or Chihuahua Chihuahua I would tell you to just drive straight through Ojinnaga, but you aren't....so why do you want to go?

It's just trouble.

Also, OJ isn't some tourist destination....

It doesn't have any great buildings or momuments or anything that you'll be so glad you went to see.

I guess I'm still shocked that anybody would want to go there, especially NOW.

EDIT: Spend the night in Alpine, that's a much better idea!

I also posted this in the upcoming rides - west texas forum, but didn't get much traffic, so I thought I would give it a try out here.

My wife and I are going to do a trip near the end of March to BBNP from the DFW area. Here is a link of our route: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,9.887695&z=7

I have found a ton of useful info from this forum on Big Bend, however I haven't found too much about people experience in Ojinaga, Mexico. We are planning to exit BBNP from the West and take FM-170 to Presidio, and from there enter into mexico. I do not plan on going any further into mexico than Ojinaga. So, i guess my questions would be: 1.How were your experiences in Ojinaga (anything neat or must see?) 2.What would you recommend doing with the gear that is strapped onto the bike (somewhere safe to ditch/store in the US)3. Any good places to camp/lodge in Presidio?

thanks,
jordan

Why do you want to go to Mexico? It is not any cheaper to eat or stay in the border towns. The only things that are cheap will get you in trouble with Customs.

Jordan,

Here's an opinion from someone who has been playing in Mexico since the 60's:

Mexico is full of wonders, but none of them are anywhere near the border. There s little to see or do in Ojinaga. It's just a dusty little border town.

This being said, Ojinaga is only a few miles away from decent back-country adventure if you're into that sort of thing. There's a canyon on the main highway about 20ish miles south of Ojinaga that is typical of the area and scenic. The overlook is before the permit inspection station, so no import papers required.

For mainstream touring from Brownsville, things don't get interesting until south of Cd Victoria. From the Laredo area, the charm starts south of Monterey (with a few exceptions such as Cienegas and Bustamante). From Ojinaga, Copper Canyon is pretty much the start. From Juarez, turn around and enter Mexico from somewhere else :)

There are a few exceptions closer to the border, but not many IMHO.

Regards,

Joel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Staying away seems to be the general opinion, I guess that is why there is not much talk about going to OJ amongst so much talk about the Big Bend area. Thanks again.

Jordan

State department updated the travel warning for Mexico a couple of days ago. Most issues are along the boarder

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

The U.S. Mission in Mexico currently restricts non-essential travel to the state of Durango and all parts of the state of Coahuila south of Mexican Highways 25 and 22 and the Alamos River for U.S. government employees assigned to Mexico. This restriction was implemented in light of the recent increase in assaults, murders, and kidnappings in those two states. The situation in northern Mexico remains fluid; the location and timing of future armed engagements cannot be predicted.

I agree with Joel. If you want to experience Mexico go deeper into territory. Cd. Acuna and Piedras Negras are okay, but if you really want to do Mexico you need to go further south.

Mike

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, and I've just passed through ojinga once, but I wanted to note the wonderful highway starting just south of ojinaga towards chihuahua. well maintained, longer and more fun than any road I know of in Tx. It's a magical place around sunset. It does flatten out somewhat the last 50 miles or so before the big city. If you have a couple extra days, creel, and copper canyon is a half day ride (300 miles) from ojinaga. Of course you'll need all the visas and permits to go that far in. Also, as mentioned the border xing there is low traffic compared to del rio and el paso.

I got so wrapped up hauling butt on that road that i forgot about the military checkpoint. I crested a hill and it was right there. Came to a screeching stop before any of the soldiers had time to even stand up. A bit nervous, when one of them asked "que tienes?" I blurted out PRESIDIO, TX! and they all busted out laughing.

What is strange are the stop signs in the middle of the desert, 80kph speed limits and the setting sun had erased the number 14 from the highway signs heading from chihuahua towards ojinaga.

As far as border towns go, they all are pretty much alike. I like eagle pass (acuna?) the best, but the best part of ME is deeper in.

We are planning to exit BBNP from the West and take FM-170 to Presidio, )3. Any good places to camp/lodge in Presidio?

thanks,
jordan

I don't have any useful information regarding Mexico. I can tell you that FM-170 between Terlingua and Presidio is a great road! :rider: There is a small dirt detour in 170, but it's no big deal. We ate at a little off the beaten path place called La Escondida in Presidio - great green chili enchiladas!

Three Palms Motel is a decent place to stay in Presidio.

Presidio is one of those towns that rolls up its carpet at night - nada.

Threads merged and moved to the Ride/Trip Planning forum.

Maybe this post is a little late, and while I share the opinion that Ojinaga is a typical scuzzy border town, I think it is worth the effort to cross over and look around, if you just want a little taste of what Mexico is like. As someone posted earlier, there is a nice road that climbs up a low mountain range on the old road to Chihuahua City. There is an obvious lookout at the top of the pass, turn around there and go back to OJ, eat lunch or whatever and cross back to the USA. When you enter Ojinaga, stay on the main street the border bridge is on, and don't turn left at the intersection that says Chihuahua Cuota, and you are on the old, free, road up the pass.

Big Bend yes but Mexico heck no unless I flying to one of the bigger cities.Its not worth it just my 2 cents.

Back