• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

muffler

Reaction score
Hi all did anybody try to drill the baffle out of the muffler to get A little sound as money is short to get A new one. Thanks for ideas. Beaver.

Words of caution. Unless you have heard a like exhaust similarly modified you are
taking what could be a costly gamble.

....and adding to his question:
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If a guy were to remove the OEM muffler & mid-pipe from the bike,
would there, could there be ANY success,

pointing a sand blaster through the inlet and/or exhaust of the can,

blasting the heck outa the interior of the can to displace, remove, blow away any 'glass packing that exists???

Or how 'bout something like a high pressure washer, blasting the interior with a heck of a lot of water??? Followed by sand blasting?

(Anybody have those pictures of our muffler's interior?)

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back in the 70's/80's I used to jam a water hose down my motorcycle mufflers (short of flooding the headers) every time I washed my bikes. Then I'd fire up the bike and blow the water out. Over time, my mufflers' *bark* actually increased a bit. (I don't wash my bikes with a water hose anymore, rarely getting them wet except during a ride in the rain.)

....and adding to his question:
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If a guy were to remove the OEM muffler & mid-pipe from the bike,
would there, could there be ANY success,

pointing a sand blaster through the inlet and/or exhaust of the can,

blasting the heck outa the interior of the can to displace, remove, blow away any 'glass packing that exists???

Or how 'bout something like a high pressure washer, blasting the interior with a heck of a lot of water??? Followed by sand blasting?

(Anybody have those pictures of our muffler's interior?)

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back in the 70's/80's I used to jam a water hose down my motorcycle mufflers (short of flooding the headers) every time I washed my bikes. Then I'd fire up the bike and blow the water out. Over time, my mufflers' *bark* actually increased a bit. (I don't wash my bikes with a water hose anymore, rarely getting them wet except during a ride in the rain.)

Surely you jest sir?

Personally even if I buy an after market exhaust or build my own which I have done I always keep the entire stock exhaust system intact just in case I am forced at some point to have to install it back on the bike due to legislation being enforced that may require it to be installed back on the bike for testing purposes, just like I might have to do if California passes a new smog check program for motorcycles that is being proposed.

So I would really recommend just buying an after market muffler instead of modifying yours. I know a lot of people have also gutted the CAT out of their headers and they won't be very happy when they have to go out and spend $900 plus dollars for a stock header if they have to have it on their bike to pass a smog check.
:rider:

Actually, I ordered a muffler system from Italy the other day.....

just thinking/wondering out loud about blasting any soft packing out of an OEM can, leaving just the mechanical baffles in place (I wouldn't do it to mine though, I have the same fear of 'green laws' being enforced someday).

My fantasy is to buy a Holeshot 4-1 header, then before installing it, having it ceramic coated INSIDE and OUT in black. And having the same thing done with the muffler I ordered last week.

Problem is, the day after I ordered my muffler, I got my monthly pay check and saw the results of the Governor having reduced our pay (all State workers) by 10%..... (in addition to unpaid furlough days and elimination of a couple paid holidays....) It's one thing to whine about it, privately protest, and speculate how much it'll be.... but another to actually SEE (and feel) it!

I'll see if I actually step up to the plate and buy the muffler when I'm called for my Visa number. She said I could flake on her because there will most certainly be another party interested in it.... (he says with a tear in his eye).

Leave it stock!!!!! :eek2:

More and more towns around the country are raising a stink about loud bikes. The last thing you want to do is make yourself a bigger target for Law Enforcement. It seems like every year when we go on our annual bike trip we come through at least a couple towns where a LEO informs us he is happy we are quiet so he doesn't have to ticket us or run us out of town. I would just stay ahead of the curve and keep what you have.

Also, if you start removing baffles or running aftermarket pipes you will have to buy a powercommander or re-jet and you will probably lose some power due to loss of backpressure.

This is just my opinion. But, after running several aftermarket pipes on cruisers and sportbikes, I'd spend your hard earned money on items to make your ride more comfortable, practical, or better looking. But the great thing about America, is it's your bike, do what you want.

I'm an advocate of sexy sounding motorcycles, I love 'em. Unlike popular (mis)perception though, LOUD does not neccessarily sound "sexy". However a motorcycle that sounds like a Swedish sewing machine is not all that becoming either.... though I understand the concept of "stealth".

If you study the interior of our OEM can, there is a maze of mechanical baffles. I'm proposing that by simply removing the "steel wool like" packing from the equation, one could maintain back pressure while gaining a little more sound.... all the while APPEARING TO BE ABSOLUTELY STOCK.

Along these lines of thinking, if I knew somebody who had the skills..... I would have a Holeshot 17 inch concealed in the shell of our factory muffler. I had Dale's quieter "Street" version on my 130hp Yamaha, and with judicious use of the throttle, one could appear (almost) as quiet as stock; but that bad boy would bark the sexiest sound ya ever heard at wide open!

I'm just saying, an old man on a boring UJM bagger that appears to be unmodified.... could in fact be a sexy sounding 130hp mega-torque sport(touring) bike (and ride through town bringing no undue attention to himself).

Hi all did anybody try to drill the baffle out of the muffler to get A little sound as money is short to get A new one. Thanks for ideas. Beaver.
Why don't you try replacing the bearings first? That way if you do not like the new muffler sound, you can always put the original bearings back.

...However a motorcycle that sounds like a Swedish sewing machine is not all that becoming either.... .

To me a sewing machine is perfect example of a balanced assembly conducting a complex task. I love it. Loud pipes? no thanks

[Snip]I'm proposing that by simply removing the "steel wool like" packing[/Snip]

Many of these glass packed mufflers are re-loadable, on some a rivet will need to be drilled out. Some come out the back, some require the slip-on be removed. I am in the process of re-wrapping my Kerker because it is too loud for my taste,

Just some food for thought.

One thing I have always believed, there is nothing more impressive than a really fast motorcycle that is astonishingly quiet....

"...One thing I have always believed, there is nothing more impressive than a really fast motorcycle that is astonishingly quiet...."

Speaking of which, I was at the Sacramento Harley drags one year (big twin engines that might resemble a Harley engine....), and they were loud, Loud, LOUD!
-- but --
One of the quickest bikes there was an all white, fully faired, w/wheelie bar Suzuki. And I mean this NOT comparitively, the darn thing went down the strip whisper quiet.... didn't hear the thing AT ALL, nothing, woooossh!?!?!

It seems like the quiet is better crowd are all giving you thier opinion (Me included) and I think we are right. :trust:

But if you disagree and want volume, I would definately look into saving for a good exhaust system and don't mess with the stocker. I have even sold my stock pipe for $100 and then bought a new pipe on sale for $200. Look in to 2 Bros pipes as the have a good tone and aren't "crazy nobody will ride with me anymore" loud. ;-)

Quiet is good, a sexy 4-1 exhaust note is good too..... 'LOUD' however sucks.

I have a can in mind, and so far only one Bandit owner in the States has one.... it's visually uniuqe, it's very cool, and the sound that comes out of it is different i.e. "sweeeeet"; it also comes with a removable baffle. Combined with our CAT' and the (removable) baffle in place, our factory computer/fuel injection will have no problem mapping for the can.

You can bet though that the baffle will come out at some point.... when the rest of the package can be addressed.

(But curiosity has the better of me, someday I hope to find another factory muffler somebody wants to part with inexpensively.)

IF you are talking about a glass pack the just pour oil in it....let it soak for about 10 minutes...fire up the bike(at night to kill mosquitoes) and let it smoke and run. that oil will get real hot and burn the glass right out. Back in the 70's I worked in a muffler shop and did it for several customers.

IF you are talking about a glass pack the just pour oil in it....let it soak for about 10 minutes...fire up the bike(at night to kill mosquitoes) and let it smoke and run. that oil will get real hot and burn the glass right out.

But if you remove the packing then you always have it to put back in if you change your mind.

The other option is to pull the muffler off the collector and put a muffler end on it. I cannot remember who makes the bike specific ones, but this is probably what I am going to do on my '70 CB750.

It seems like the quiet is better crowd are all giving you thier opinion (Me included) and I think we are right. :trust:

I know I'll get flamed for this, BUT... I have always felt that the loud pipe crowd, as well as those that feel the need to drive Hummers and the like may be challenged in the size of their genitals. I think of it as the "Look at Me Syndrome". Several guys I worked with at the fire department over the years were suffering from this syndrome.

Don't take this as an attack on anyone here, just sayin...

OK, Let me have it:lol2:

Inline 4's can't sound sexy, I thought we all knew that. Now give me a twin, and you bet it can sound sexy!

:duck:

I just bought a stock mid-pipe and muffler off feebay with intentions of homemade/modifications

pictures and details to come ;-)

What you may be able to do is run a pointed rod down the exhaust and punch through the baffles. This will increase sound and flow just a little in most cases without being overly loud. I did this on my DL1000 and it worked good. Another approach is to drill holes about half way between the exhaust pipe and the outter shell. Thus doing the same thing. I had did this on my KLR with good results and not be near as loud as a Super Trap or other systems I tried on it.
I picked up a Yosh can on the internet and bought a baffle/spark arrester for it. But it turned out to be a pretty quiet system without the help. Just a deep growl. So, left it alone but keeping the baffle incase it does decide to get louder.
I use my older neighbors as a gauge to my exhaust changes on my bikes. They are not shy to tell me if it's too loud and living at my present location for the last 40 years, they know of my many endevors. ;-).

I originally took my OE muffler apart, shortened it about 6".

You can NOT drill out a baffle to make it louder. If you saw how it's made, you'd understand.

If you want loud, cut off the muffler, and run just the midpipe section, with some baffle and packing inserted in it. Sounds pretty nice. Also, gutted the cat.

But now, I'm running a gsxr 1000 midpipe, and bolt on muffler.

The OE muffler is INCREDIBLY heavy:eek2:

Here's my OE muffler. It's now a small foundry for melting aluminum, for sand castings.

muff.jpg

here's a pic of the shortie I made with just the midpipe:
shorty.jpg

and here, is a pic of the OE muffler's guts...note the staggered internal pipes....NO baffle to knock out.

mf11.jpg

Back