• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need advise as to best time to ride Rt. 66?

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
I am planning to do the Rt. 66 thing (West bound) sometime soon and want to know form those that have done this before, the best time to go.

I rode up to Illinois last October and traveled Rt. 66 back to OK city. The ride was good, but most of the Rt. 66 type attractions were closed for the season. For my west bound trip I want to see every snake farm, dive, tourist trap and everything that the Mother road has to offer but it’s no fun if they are closed.

I have been told that to ride through Arizona and southern California in the summer may not be much fun, but if I don’t go in the summer, do I risk the tourist trap places still being closed for the season. When do they consider tourist season on Rt. 66. I’m thinking early May, or would that be too early. Any input?

So I would sure like some advice as to when the best time of year to go

I've done parts of it in September twice. Yes it is hot at times, but I enjoyed myself.

It was on one of these trips that I realized that I was actually cooler with my jacket on than with it off... go figure?

May is a good time due to the heat. I have made the trip in July, but it was a tough one. Whatever you do, don't miss Sitgreaves Pass and up through Oatman. Loads of good stuff on 66 in AZ. There is some really good stuff in Amarillo also. Rte 66 took three different routes through Amarillo. The 6th stree route is the best historically. There is a really good section of 66 from the NM/TX line to Tucumcari. From the border to San Jon is dirt with only the bridges paved, but it is easily travelled when dry and had great scenery with some old 'motor hotels'. The one in Endee is still there and quite a sight. You can still see the "modern restrooms" painted on the walls. (That is a separate building out in front, not in room bathrooms) Have fun.

Be aware that most of August is rainy season in northern Arizona (Grand Canyon area). This can be good & bad since it can cool things off.

They are open in May. We went last year and suprisingly, if you camp it's quite cold at night. We were all at academy the next day buying 0 degree sleeping bags after freezing.

Is there a book on the subject?
Literally tons of them on Rte 66. I have several and some great maps also. I did a lot of research before I lead a Swiss tour (motorcycles) group from Chicago to Amarillo last year. I found a bunch of the old 10' wide parts, brick parts, lots of rideable dirt parts. Lots of Rte 66 specific maps available too.:rider:

They are open in May. We went last year and suprisingly, if you camp it's quite cold at night. We were all at academy the next day buying 0 degree sleeping bags after freezing.

Really - I'll keep that in mind. I guess I'll bring my long-johns. How cold do you think it will get in May? - I am planning to camp

My Dad, my Brother, and I camped and in NM and AZ and it was in the 30s and 40s at night. It warms up in the day but like all deserts, the temperature drops as the sun disapears. (End of May - Early June) I thought the heat would be an issue but the cold was worse to deal with. Go figure. This year on my trip to Colorado I'm packing for Arctic nights and Saraha days. ;-)

We only rode Rt66 from north of El Paso area to the Flagstaff, AZ area so I am by far no expert on Rt66 but it was a fun trip and we played tourist the whole way. Sedona, AZ is a nice side trip on your way.

Literally tons of them on Rte 66. I have several and some great maps also. I did a lot of research before I lead a Swiss tour (motorcycles) group from Chicago to Amarillo last year. I found a bunch of the old 10' wide parts, brick parts, lots of rideable dirt parts. Lots of Rte 66 specific maps available too.:rider:

I guess I am looking for a specific title that will give me the basic history and the better historical things to see along the way.

Mike

I guess I am looking for a specific title that will give me the basic history and the better historical things to see along the way.

Mike

I too got some various books an the subject for the partial trip I took last October. Some were good and interesting but none, IMHO, stood out as the best. Also, I was wantinng something that I could take with me. A visit to a Barns & Noble would be a good chance to review. Oddly enough the best resource I have found so far was a Rt. 66 map put out by Hardly-Davidson. It was weatherpoof, showed many of the spots with detailed directions. Don't let your friends see it, cuz they might make fun of you.

Hey Duke, that's a great link. If any of you are there are Rt. 66 wana-bees, this is a great link to save. I just saved it on my web-enabled phone and I can use this link within the mobil version of google maps for a quick reference along the way.
Thanks Duke,

Really - I'll keep that in mind. I guess I'll bring my long-johns. How cold do you think it will get in May? - I am planning to camp

I went out and back in April last year, quite cold.

A couple of things to keep in mind, Amarillo is at 3600 ft elevation, and that figure goes steadily up to the 5000 area in east half of NM, 5-6K in west NM and then on up above 7K in AZ. This is all all high desert country. So, from a temp standpoint, May through maybe second week of September would be best. In early spring and late fall, that temp falls quickly when the sun goes down.

The high winds could still be really bad in May, and I mean very high winds. This alone would have me considering the late August-September time frame.

The very best part of 66 that is still frozen in time is suppose to be the stretch Eric mentioned above in and around Oatman. I think this is about 80-100 miles long. I-40 completely cut that out. Unfortunately, being the time conscious idiot I am at times, I did not take that small loop, (dumb me).

last week of April first week of may
You have a pretty good chance to have a dry ride. and the temp will be fairly mild. Not supper cold or hot.

Thanks for all the great information folks. Looking at my schedule, it looks like mid May will be the best time for me and so that’s currently my plans. I just hope the winds are not too bad.

As I understand from the posts, it may get cold at night and I should bring cold weather camping gear. What about during the day? I would not need cold weather riding gear – is that right? I’m thinking summer mesh jacket, thin gloves, jeans. I ride a HD road king so I have no wind protection other than a windshield but I wanted to avoid the bulk of leather jacket and insulated pants. What do you folks think? Should I plan on bringing cold weather riding gear also?

When I get closer to the time, I will start a new thread to see if anyone is interested in joining me for the trip.

Again - Thanks for all the great information so far.

The day should be warm but bring some cold weather gear just in case plus you can sleep in it if you have to. Add to your list rain gear. May finishes up the rainy season here. You probably won't get rained on but if it's going to happen it will in Apr-May. The winds were only a problem for me when we had to hop on I-40. Have a great trip. If you pass through El Paso give a shout.

And don't forget the first rule of living in Arizona:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

They have something there that we don't have in SE Texas. It is called evaporative cooling. Believe it or not, when you sweat it evaporates off your body, cooling you off! :lol2:

For us swamp dwellers, it was a major transition when we moved to AZ. So drink lots of water, even if you don't think you are sweating. You are sweating, but it evaporates.

Also, if you are ever in the Phoenix area in the height of summer (not that I'm suggesting you do such a crazy thing), DO NOT touch anything metal outdoors during the day! :eek2: (Carry a handkerchief to open your car door).

Lee

Thanks for all the great information folks. Looking at my schedule, it looks like mid May will be the best time for me and so that’s currently my plans. I just hope the winds are not too bad.

As I understand from the posts, it may get cold at night and I should bring cold weather camping gear. What about during the day? I would not need cold weather riding gear – is that right? I’m thinking summer mesh jacket, thin gloves, jeans. I ride a HD road king so I have no wind protection other than a windshield but I wanted to avoid the bulk of leather jacket and insulated pants. What do you folks think? Should I plan on bringing cold weather riding gear also?

When I get closer to the time, I will start a new thread to see if anyone is interested in joining me for the trip.

Again - Thanks for all the great information so far.

Back