• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Enduro Newbie

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Can somebody teach me a thing or three about Enduro's or point me to the appropriate FAQ's or other resource pages?

One of my other crazy DS riding buddies is trying to convince me to run an Enduro in March and I'm totally new to these types of events.

A little background: I've been riding for about 2 years and spent plenty of time in the saddle as a kid, but nothing competitive. I've owned a KLR (recently sold), have a plated xr400, and am looking for a used CRF 450X.

Any advise/descriptions of these events and necessary gear/numbers/timers, etc. is much appreciated.

The Texas State Championship Enduro Circuit is the sanctioning body for most of the enduros in Texas. Their web site (ww.tscec.org) is a useful source of information. Our season just started last Sunday. Our next event is near Quitaque, TX (Caprock Canyon Enduro) on March 15.

There are also several enduros in Louisiana. They have a sanctioning body also- but I don't remember the name.

The Trail Riders of Houston would be another source for you. They actually hold several 'family enduros' during the year- close to Houston. These are for beginners and kids- but still a fun ride for all.

Enduros are a great way to ride all kind of trails in a safe environment. The trails are marked and everybody is going the same direction. You may choose a class to ride in based on your experience and skill level. There are lots of rules- but for your first enduro- don't worry about the check points and timekeeping; just make a trail ride out of it. Find an experienced rider to ride with or ride with your buddies. You will have a blast with no intimidation.

it'd be cool to go watch one of these. Or are they not much of a spectator sport because riders only pass you once every few minutes?

it'd be cool to go watch one of these. Or are they not much of a spectator sport because riders only pass you once every few minutes?

This has to be one of the woprst sports ever for spectating. Typically, a rider leaves the start and disappears in the woods for a couple hours or more. To view the riders one would need to know how to get to an intersecting point on the course and then get there befroe the rider.

Enduros are a staged start; meaning 4 riders leave every minute. So everybody is spread out pretty far in time/ distance.

Sounds like I need to get involved with the TRH gang and one of the family enduros.

How many miles is a typical enduro event?

Edit...here's a start for other newbs reading along...this is the TRH family enduro loop. Now, how many laps?

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to get involved with the TRH gang and one of the family enduros.

How many miles is a typical enduro event?

Edit...here's a start for other newbs reading along...this is the TRH family enduro loop.

At a TSCEC event there are usually 3 different courses. Super Short is for beginners= 20-25 miles; Short Course is for age and C riders= 40-60 miles; Long Course for AA, A and B riders= 50-75 miles. Some are longer, some are shorter. The courses are timed and have frequent rest stops- so after a long section at high speed you will likely find a rest period to get back on time and catch your breath. Short course usually takes about 3-5 hours to complete.

When you finish it is a great since of accomplishment. Most people feel like they got their money's worth. Personally, I'm a little sore for a couple days. But anybody of average skill and moderate endurance can finish with the right attitude.

what's the difference between an enduro and a hair srcamble (and what is a hair scramble :lol:)

what's the difference between an enduro and a hair srcamble (and what is a hair scramble :lol:)

A Hare Scramble (at least, my understanding) is a series of 7-10 mile laps on a course that may include roads, trails, MX track, etc. Riders start en masse and ride as fast as they can to the finish (maybe 5 laps or more). First guy to get finished wins.

An enduro happens on virtually all single track, unseen by all riders (no practice). Loops are longer- maybe 2 or 3 25 mile loops. 4 Riders start on an assigned minute (or row) and try to maintain a specified speed average for a period of time. The course has secret check points along the way. When riders come through the check points their time is recorded on a scorecard on the bike. Arriving too early or too late gets penalty points. When finished, a rider turns in his scorecard, points are totaled and the lowest points wins. It is actually easier than it sounds. Some speed averages are too fast for any body to maintain- so the fast guys drop fewer points. Some are low enough everybody can maintain.

A pretty basic summary of the two events. A Hare Scramble is a race thru the woods for a determined time period with riders making multiple laps. An Enduro is generally a single lap timed event over a given course in which you try to match the times they say you should reach each check point and they thrown in a few unannounced check points along the way to verify you are on the correct course and your time is near the expected times.

The biggest difference is the Hare Scramble is a multiple lap race without the check points.

Back