• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Quest 2?

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good cheap gps that can be dual sported. Looking at the quest2 it can be had refurbed for about $100.
Doing research alot of people complained about the speed of the unit, turns otu there is quite a few hacks to speed it up to lightning speed by updating firmware and disabling regions you wont be riding at the time (puerto, canada, Hawaii, and so on).

My question is 10 preloaded (I assume that's me making them off the computer) maps enough in your experience?

is 50,000 track log points enough to map a long trip?

Is the visual ques for turning good enough as I will not be doing audio?

Other then that the quest2 seems to have awesome DS features like ability to load in topo maps, 20 hour battery life, waterproof design, cheap so not burned over dropping a zumo 550 on the ground :)

Any help would be great!

I use my Quest on the XR when dual sporting and love it - on a full charge with the backlight off it will easily go 10-12 hours (just remember to turn it of at lunch and breaks if you might go that long before recharging) and since I have no battery to wire it into, short battery life would be a deal breaker.

I've had it run for days without running out of space for the track log. If you're real picky about wanting the tracks I'd recommend saving them every other day or so on a long trip.

I have the Quest 1, so the "thinking" time is a little quicker because it has a smaller hard drive to have to look through. I think it's 115 mb? If you put the screen at the edge of your line-of-sight, you'll notice when it alerts you to something. I have the display set up so that it tells me how many miles before I'll have to make a turn, so I'll know that I can go a while before looking down at it based on that.

If you wire it in with the powered mount, it should come with an audio-out plug that you can use to hear the directions if that's important for you. I've never used it.

For the price I don't think you could go wrong. I use a Quest 2 and love it. I thought about replacing it for a bigger screen (my eyes are getting old) but have yet to find one that does all the same functions the Quest 2 has. I didn't want to sit on the bike and look things up re-map, re-route etc. sitting on the bike in the hot sun with the engine heat (even if turned off) as some GPS units require 12V. I can take the Quest 2 with me under a shade tree or while drinking a soda because it doesn't need the 12V from the bike, also smaller, lighter, 5.5 oz. This review may help (if you haven't already read it)http://www.gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html

My requirements were:
Battery operated both 12V and portable power. Rechargeable.
Tracks/maps roads (where you are), plans routes/trips, tracks position for free roam trips, saves where you have been.
Can work with (import/export) with laptop using existing nRoute Garmin USB18 (I have this one on my laptop and use it several days a week as I travel all over the US and Canada)
Weatherproof, shock resistance (no internal drive to jump/skip), small to mount on handlebars on motorcycle.
Backlight display, can be seen at night. can read display from 3 feet.
The Garmin II GPS was the only one I found that met all my “Motorcycle requirements”

You may not ride the way I do as I enjoy just riding off into unknown places that I have not been before. I use it not to tell me how to get someplace (it will do that too) but to track where I have been. So when I get home I can upload the "tracking data" from my days ride to my laptop computer and see on the map the route I took.

The lithium-ion rechargeable battery is good for 20 hrs although I do have 12V wired to the headlight. This GPS will fit in your shirt pocket and can also load Topo maps, Marine charts. Has a "home" function that will route you back home by the most direct/fastest route. Can locate 7 million points of interest (gas, food, ATMs, etc) and will show altitude up to 60,000 feet. That's higher than airlines fly!

The powered RAM mount has an earphone plug which I plug into my Chatterbox.* I have a full-face helmet with a mic and stereo earphones.* When the GPS "talks" it over rides the Chatterbox voice or mp3 music and I can hear the directions.* However, I like the scenery too and don't use it to give me directions but to know where I am and where I rode to.* I'm very pleased with the ease of use and portability of the setup.

Also, the track data is configurable so you can determine the level of track data saved. I think mine is like every 10 feet or so.

Oh - and something that the Quest does that I haven't figured out to do on the Zumo yet: Put a little stinkin arrow in the corner that always points north!

The Zumo will either keep north "up" or keep the track up - but then it doesn't give any indication of which way north is. I love that little feature on the Quest!

You will like it, you saw mine quest1 last weekend. I like that it is so portable. I at one time ordered a 2610 refurb thinking I wanted a larger screen. But I did not like the yellow background, large size, crappy graphics, no battery. It was definately not portable. Plus I could not see the screen very well in the sunlight, even with the brightness turned up. I may have just had a bad unit because lots like their 2610. I will just stick with my quest1 for now.

Back