• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT #01 - Spring

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Let's kick off our debut post with the topic of SPRING. Spring can be many things to many people. For example, a dawning of new life for birds, plants or animals. Here are a few examples to get the ideas flowing.

XStock23.jpg

07WillowCityLoop043.jpg

07WillowCityLoop058.jpg

Use this thread for posting shots previously taken, or current shots asking questions, or just talking about the assignment. I'll open up a different post a few days before the contest ends for you to post your actual submission entry. Your submission entry can be something new or one you posted here, but the picture HAS to be taken between now and Sunday, March 22nd midnight. I'll make my decision sometime after midnight Sunday and announce at that time. The winner will then post the next two week assignment topic.

Let's get out there and create some great spring shots!

Re: PHOTO CONTEST #01 - Spring

First question I would have is should this be a single shot or can it be several shots combined to one final picture? Example would be taking a foreground object picture then composing it in a nother background picture I take?

First question I would have is should this be a single shot or can it be several shots combined to one final picture? Example would be taking a foreground object picture then composing it in a nother background picture I take?

Hmmm..... That sounds interesting, but is a bit contrary to Rule #8 about using post-processing to create something substantially different than the original image. I'd say that type of shot is stretching the limits for just getting started. Maybe a later assignment?

Hmmm..... That sounds interesting, but is a bit contrary to Rule #8 about using post-processing to create something substantially different than the original image. I'd say that type of shot is stretching the limits for just getting started. Maybe a later assignment?

Ok cool!
Usually with this stuff I try to think outside the box to get something artsy and different so I am trying to push my limits while learning something new.. That is the point of this right?

Just trying to figure out what I can get away with in the rules :)

Some cameras, like my D200, have multiple exposure/overlay features built in so the distinction of "post processing" may get a little blurry. For example, I can set it up to expose up to 10 images in sequence and the camera will automatically adjust the final combined image for the proper cumulative exposure. Alternatively, I can select images at random that are on the camera's memory card and overlay one image on another with some camera control of how the final image will be balanced between the two original images.

This camera is now the previous generation of DSLR and I'm guessing there are even more features with newer cameras that will blur this distinction even more. If the photographer has an image in mind when he configures the camera to take the shot(s), where does pre-processing stop and post-processing begin?

--Mike

I think we're getting too wrapped up on the post-processing discussions. It's allowed by doing it in person with various tools, and the cameras do it automatically. (as an example, when I shoot an image, it's compared to about 40,000 images in the camera for best exposure at those settings) I'll still say that 90% of the picture is going to ge composition that tells the story. The balance is just for effect.

So let's not get hung up on it. Do what you think is proper to present a picture. Remember - we're not all professionals and this is a learning experience for everyone both new and seasoned. Just don't submit a picture of a bluebonnet that happens to be mid-70's purple/blue/black velvet under a black light and expect folks to raise an eyebrow. ;-)

Let's see some of your conceptual prior "spring" type shots......

not that great and no proccessing, just cropped a little...

grasshopper.jpg

^^^^^^I guess I should have included the "please critque" comment

Me? I think it's pretty cool. Great DOF surronding just the grasshopper, framed a tad bit off center and the tire gives a good frame. The two grass stalks sort of pull my eye away though. YMMV. (you asked!)

hope this works oops put in wrong thread

Attachments

• Boofest13.jpg
    Boofest13.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 225

Me? I think it's pretty cool. Great DOF surronding just the grasshopper, framed a tad bit off center and the tire gives a good frame. The two grass stalks sort of pull my eye away though. YMMV. (you asked!)

not just you but anybody.
what are your thoughts on not having the subject dead center?
I came across an article online about stratigically placing your subject in the frame to create a certain "feel", lke coming or going or something.
Now I wasn't trying to cerate a particular feel with the framing, I had just figured out the macro function on my lens while corner working at TWS

not just you but anybody.
what are your thoughts on not having the subject dead center?
I came across an article online about stratigically placing your subject in the frame to create a certain "feel", lke coming or going or something.
Now I wasn't trying to cerate a particular feel with the framing, I had just figured out the macro function on my lens while corner working at TWS

Ill expand on this a bit more some art theory :)

usually with your subjects you want to use the rule of thirds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
That article explains it a bit more.

You do have nice DOF, Bokeh, and brilliant colors.

However the scene falls apart a bit because your attention is drawn every other place other then the subject. Like M38 said the grass takes away that is where photoshop comes in handy on removing that also the colors are so vibrant and your subject is not which makes it hard to want to focus on him! Not much you can do about that....

Great shot just some tips

Here's a spring pic. Posting it here because it was taken last week. I call it "First Leaves".

487844530_PcfYf-M.jpg

My thoughts are that the branches in the background are a bit distracting, the depth-of-field is not shallow enough. On the other had, the repeating pattern of the branches all pointing in the same general direction with the few bright leaves breaking that pattern up seems to work.

Thoughts?

Is this a contest, as in competition? Or a showcase and critique?
In my opinion, the latter is more constructive than the former.
But then, I'm opinionated. ;-)

usually with your subjects you want to use the rule of thirds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
That article explains it a bit more.

However the scene falls apart a bit because your attention is drawn every other place other then the subject. Like M38 said the grass takes away that is where photoshop comes in handy on removing that also the colors are so vibrant and your subject is not which makes it hard to want to focus on him! Not much you can do about that....
This post raises several issues about the 'rules', which would be interesting to debate sometime, but this is probably not the place.

My point is, in restrained brevity, when every photographer follows the 'rules', the photos all look the same. Reality, including nature, is very diverse, even chaotic sometimes. And not everyone's perspective and frame of mind sees in 'two-thirds' perspective. Nor is attention always restricted to one focal point.

So feel free to break the 'rules' if they don't fit what you want to convey. That is what art is all about. Expression. Be daring. Experiment. Express yourself the way you see it.

Disclaimer: my opinion again. :trust:
I'll go away now.........

This is an awesome thread. I bought a DSLR a few months ago. Not because I thought it would make me some kind of wanna be pro photographer, but only because I got a great deal on it. Now I need to learn how to use it, lol. I'll post up a couple of pics I took this week out in the back yard and see what yall think.

P.S. I'm gonna ask alot of questions so please don't get too aggravated if they seem stupid.:D

Is this a contest, as in competition? Or a showcase and critique? In my opinion, the latter is more constructive than the former.

You raise a good point. No, it's not a contest to see who's better then the next. Rather, a place to showcase your best shot based on the current assignment. Yes, there will be a winner chosen for what is percieved to be the best shot of the group. But everyone is a winner to some extent seeing what others have done, how they have done it and learning from the group effort.

This post raises several issues about the 'rules', which would be interesting to debate sometime, but this is probably not the place.
I'll go away now.........

Those discussions would happen one level above. This section is the contest section. So, if you are inclined to start a discussion on rules and application of them to a specific or general shot, please post it up. You do some nice work, so I'm sure we will all grow from your experience and comment. ie: don't go away.

This is an awesome thread.
P.S. I'm gonna ask alot of questions so please don't get too aggravated if they seem stupid.:D

Glad you found us!

Again, post up the general photography questions a thread level up. You're in the contest level now.

Here's my wife's favorite. I took it with a cheap Kodak digital camera. Hopefully I can get something fairly artistic, but I still have the cheap camera!

490351545_QdSSy-M.jpg

I can't resist. Here's a couple more with the same cheapo camera.

490351556_PkDUQ-M.jpg

490351530_ADVUL-M.jpg

Hairsmith.....that's a good start....hope you don't mind if I give you some tips:

1) angle the camera so just the main branch is in the frame. The green pot in the upper right hand corner is distracting as is the branch in the background. This photo would look great with just the main branch and a black background.

2) use something to diffuse the flash or power it down some if you can. For the best result get the flash off the camera and diffuse it.

Here it is after a quick edit:

490586366_Zfmnx-M.jpg

You can still see some harshness on the petals from the direct flash but I tried to soften it a bit.

Last edited:
Here's a little spring-time froggie I snapped last year sometime. I sort of liked how it turned out 'cept for the one blade of grass up his brisket. No post-processing done.

Froggie.jpg

I'm no photog, but I have always disliked the way the flash that comes on any camera tend to wash out pics.
I've found that putting toilet paer (CLEAN un-used toilet paper :eek2: ) over the flash is a cheap and easy way to dufuse the flash a little

Hairsmith.....that's a good start....hope you don't mind if I give you some tips:

1) angle the camera so just the main branch is in the frame. The green pot in the upper right hand corner is distracting as is the branch in the background. This photo would look great with just the main branch and a black background.

2) use something to diffuse the flash or power it down some if you can. For the best result get the flash off the camera and diffuse it.

490586366_Zfmnx-M.jpg

You can still see some harshness on the petals from the direct flash but I tried to soften it a bit.

All good comments and all appreciated.
Not meant as excuses just comments as to why the picture turned out as it did. This was the camera I took it with
sony_u30_inhand.jpg

And it was obviously taken after dark could not see the pot until the pic was loaded to the computer.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures and comments. Great Thread.

490586366_Zfmnx-M.jpg

Back