• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Removing stock mirrors and putting them on the bars

Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone has removed the stock mirrors and gone to the type mounted on the handle bars. I have seen the spacers for the stockers, but thought mirrors up on the bars would work even better for vision of whats around you. Anybody do this?

I haven't done it myself, but from what I've read, at least a few that have ended up going back to the fairing mounted mirrors because they offered better visability. Others actually try it want to chime in?

I tried it with aftermarket mirrors with built-in turn signals. They looked great but were, in fact, useless as mirrors. You could go for original-type mirrors like Suzuki put on the unfaired Bandit but they don't look so hot. It's all down to what you like, really.

IMG_02351.jpg

If you do fit bar-mounted mirrors you'll need the mounts (actually replacement master cylinder clamps) from Suzuki to do it neatly. They're common to various models, not just the Bandit.

Last edited:
There's others that mount in place of the end weights as well. They're tiny and will shake the crap out of your hands with the weights removed.

Typically anything other than stock mirrors is worse for visibility, not better. Aftermarket mirrors go for the cool factor while stock ones go for functionality and complying with federal requirements.

I adjust my mirrors such that half the image seen in them is that of my shoulders. It's a wide mirror, so I end up using the outside half of them to see what is behind and off to the sides of me. I've even added the mirror spacers from off ebay; they helped, but it's still difficult to get a good view behind.

I might add a bar snake to my handlebars, buy some mirror block off plates off ebay, and put some bar-end mirrors on the bike this summer. You have to look down, taking your eyes off the road for a moment, but (depending on the mirror) you can see plenty behind you.

I can't see how mounting handlebar mirrors..... which would be located even CLOSER IN toward the center of the bike, could afford the pilot an improved view of what's behind him.

I can't see how mounting handlebar mirrors..... which would be located even CLOSER IN toward the center of the bike, could afford the pilot an improved view of what's behind him.

Although they're mounted further in, they're on a long, angled stalk so have the potential (depending upon their design) to be as far out from the centre of the bike as you like.

The Bandit mirrors are OK for me, once I got 'em adjusted. Any comments on the mirror spacers from SW-Motech ?

Typically anything other than stock mirrors is worse for visibility, not better.

That's been my experience. Even the bar-end mirrors didn't work for me (they do look cool).

I know a TWT member who rides a BMW R1150RT. He didn't like the stock fairing mirrors and mounted R1150GS mirrors on the RT's bars (they come with the mounts). Says it's much better. Kept the stock mirrors on for wind deflectors.

Best stock mirrors I ever experienced was on my 1st Gen. Concours.

Any comments on the mirror spacers from SW-Motech ?
Yes. Buy them.
They're a bit of a hassle to mount because of the screw head angles so you'll need a bent Allen wrench. They hold tight and push the mirrors out so I can see the road easily behind me. It's not as good as the rearview mirror in your car but I'm not looking at my elbows any longer.

Back