• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Free Spot Satellite Tracker

jbh

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
Go to this page:

http://findmespot.com/robby/

You get a free spot device when you sign up for 1 year of basic service+tracking. I just purchased one and my bill came out to be $162 for the device and the service for a year. This deal is only for a few days.

Just ordered mine. Happy with the price.

Only thing that surprised me was the addition of tax to an internet sale.

Have I missed some new law that has been passed?

LOL.... a Nascar driver with a Spot.... wouldn't that be thrilling to track their progress...

[jk]

Great deal if I was in the market for one.

Only thing that surprised me was the addition of tax to an internet sale.

Have I missed some new law that has been passed?

It just depends on retail locations, and such. If there are retail locations or company locations in the same state, then you still get charged for it. For example, if you shop online at Costco, or other major retailer, you will still get pinged for state sales tax.

I already have a gps tracking unit on my bike.. it also has an accelerometer and a tilt sensor in it. So if the bike is moved off of the side stand without the ignition on it sends an alert for potential theft if it accelerates to above 3mph. Also, the tilt sensor senses an accident and they'll attempt to call my cell phone if the bike is on its side for more than 30 seconds. After a couple attempts if I don't answer (or if i do and its needed) they'll dispact EMS to my location :)

I already have a gps tracking unit on my bike.. it also has an accelerometer and a tilt sensor in it. So if the bike is moved off of the side stand without the ignition on it sends an alert for potential theft if it accelerates to above 3mph. Also, the tilt sensor senses an accident and they'll attempt to call my cell phone if the bike is on its side for more than 30 seconds. After a couple attempts if I don't answer (or if i do and its needed) they'll dispact EMS to my location :)

Yes, but when you go backpacking how to you carry your bike in your pack? doesn't it get heavy?;-)

On a serious note, what brand of GPS tracking do you have? I'd love to take a look at it.

Yes, but when you go backpacking how to you carry your bike in your pack? doesn't it get heavy?;-)

On a serious note, what brand of GPS tracking do you have? I'd love to take a look at it.

The spot unit is a little different than I was thinking. I thought you were referring to a device similar to LoJack, thats mounted somewhere on the bike for when its stolen. Mine is similar, but much better and since it uses GPS rather than specific unit locators, it works every where rather than being limited by area technoloy.

The spot unit is a little different than I was thinking. I thought you were referring to a device similar to LoJack, thats mounted somewhere on the bike for when its stolen. Mine is similar, but much better and since it uses GPS rather than specific unit locators, it works every where rather than being limited by area technoloy.

What device do you have, it sounds pretty cool.

FYI, I just got an email saying they shipped my spot.

The SPOT tracks you through their website via Google Maps. That way when you're backpacking and get eaten by a bear, they know which pile of crap was you once someone realizes that you haven't moved in a day or 2.

LOL.... a Nascar driver with a Spot.... wouldn't that be thrilling to track their progress...

[jk]

Great deal if I was in the market for one.

Especially if you sponsor Robbie Gordon......here's how it starts at Bristol........inside wall......outside wall.....trailer. :duck:

Can't turn this down. I'm in. Big trip this summer and this will come in handy since there won't be much cell service. Thanks for posting this :clap:

My subscription is up on my Spot and since I'd be paying the annual again it makes me think about just getting another unit... :ponder:

My subscription is up on my Spot and since I'd be paying the annual again it makes me think about just getting another unit... :ponder:

You should be able to sell it for some cash so end the end you will be better off.

Hmmmm got a spot tracker you're not needing anymore? I know someone that was wanting to buy one.

You should be able to sell it for some cash so end the end you will be better off.

How would that work? If I can get a brand new one for free, what is a one year old used unit worth to me as a buyer? Just askin'.

How would that work? If I can get a brand new one for free, what is a one year old used unit worth to me as a buyer? Just askin'.

Assuming this is just a limited-time sale or promotion, then I'd sit on one until it goes back up to regular or even discounted cost, then sell on forums or eBay.

Sadly, I don't have the cash to renew my subscription right now. No big upcoming trips though, so I'll just have to ride along with someone else that has one...

Just wanted to let everyone know that the spot company emailed me today to let me know that the reason for the tax added is because it is a telecommunication device. That never occured to me.

I was assuming she could sell the new one in the box and keep the old one. The promotion will end (assuming they don't keep it going due to tough economy) so she could probally get a few bucks for a brand new one.

Mine is similar, but much better and since it uses GPS rather than specific unit locators, it works every where rather than being limited by area technoloy.
Not sure if you're referring to an anti-theft device or a location tracking device, but GPS does not "work everywhere". The receiver has to have line-of-sight access to the "birds". If your bike is inside a covered garage, truck, anything that obstructs clear view of the satellites, any kind of GPS device on it is tango uniform.

Very cool. Thanks for the heads up. This has been on my list for a while and this pushes me over the edge.

Not sure if you're referring to an anti-theft device or a location tracking device, but GPS does not "work everywhere". The receiver has to have line-of-sight access to the "birds". If your bike is inside a covered garage, truck, anything that obstructs clear view of the satellites, any kind of GPS device on it is tango uniform.

I meant more so as a comparison to lojack where the local athourities have to have the proper equipment. many of which don't..

and mine picks up signal in parking garages, garages etc. I believe it has a chip to reference its location with cell towers in the event the GPS can't lock on

I meant more so as a comparison to lojack where the local athourities have to have the proper equipment. many of which don't..

and mine picks up signal in parking garages, garages etc. I believe it has a chip to reference its location with cell towers in the event the GPS can't lock on

Ah. So there's more to the story than what was originally posted. My comment pertains to GPS capability alone.

I just ordered mine. I'd been eyeing one for a while. Good find. THANKS

Back