• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back flipping a Husky TE-610

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
My buddy Tiger Jeff just bought one of those fancy new Husqvarna TE-610 dual sport bikes and was in serious need of testing it out. (By the way, should I still call him Tiger Jeff now that he has both a Tiger and a TE-610?) So, he wanted to visit Cross Creek Cycle Park today and do some riding.

I've got a new-to-me DRZ400 that I haven't had an opportunity to ride off-road yet and this seemed like as good of a time as any. The weather was perfect so off we went. We spent several hours riding the motocross tracks and trails at Cross Creek and then Tiger Jeff, a former elite-level freestyle motocrosser, threw down with the world's first dual sport backflip.

Me, your fearless ride reporter
495880464_Fbw9r-L.jpg

Tiger Jeff, or Husky Jeff, or Just Plain Jeff, or some new name to be decided upon Jeff
495882407_ceYRG-L.jpg

The awesome DRZ400
495881884_6aLkm-L.jpg

The amazing TE-610
495879773_WdASy-L.jpg

We started off with some warm-up riding. Testing out the jumping and cornering capabilities of our respective bikes.

495881393_Qb2nX-L.jpg

495880820_KaNFt-L.jpg

495881569_horHv-L.jpg

The DRZ handled surprisingly well on the jumps. It certainly handled better than my KLR did when I rode it on these same jumps. By the end of the day I was clearing the tabletops. Not bad for a 300+ lb dual sport bike with a fat guy riding it.

495880631_XRm6J-L.jpg

The DRZ has knobbies front and rear so I tested them for traction. I'm pleased to report that traction was good and I managed not to fall off a single time today. Sweet!

495882172_bLxBs-L.jpg

495910147_SG6L9-L.jpg

While I was jumping, Tiger Jeff was testing the acceleration ability of the 50 horsepower, fire-breathing Husky.
495879083_AuVHi-L.jpg

Then Jeff moved on to jumping and cornering. Sorry I didn't get more photos.
495879324_6EmiT-L.jpg

495877109_uAZ34-L.jpg

After several hours of riding, Jeff was pretty much back up to speed and had fully mastered the bike. During a short break we were talking motocross racing and I mentioned that Travis Pastrana was scheduled to race the St. Louis supercross race this year. Which in turn led us to a discussion of the back flip Travis did in the Daytona Supercross a few years back. Jeff got all fired up and decided that he would one-up Pastrana and land the world's first dual sport back flip. Luckily, I had my camera at the ready and caught most of it (my apologies, I'm not a professional photographer so my pics aren't the best). Have a look.

Here he comes
495879512_nRyXF-L.jpg

At the start of the flip
495882735_osout-L.jpg

He's up
495890277_vYCJw-L.jpg

He's over
495890066_AhTXq-L.jpg

He sticks the landing
495890479_8SH35-L.jpg

Wow.

That Husky TE-610 is one knarly bike. I was too skeered to try it on the DRZ. Maybe next time.

Dual sport freestyle motocross? As you can see, it's not an oxymoron. Eat your heart out Pastrana.

Pretty good camera control....... :trust: It's hard to keep them flippers centered in the picture. :trust:

Pretty good camera control....... :trust: It's hard to keep them flippers centered in the picture. :trust:

Yes, it is. I actually had to have him do it twice because I missed it with my camera the first time.

So...all that riding in Big Bend isn't considered off road? Heck that track is better groomed than the stuff we rode. :wary:

Well Mr. Gil Favor, I see you have learned how to crop and rotate photos with your editor :rider:

Great camera work and story Richard.:clap: Have really been looking at the 610, seems to be as really good bike, reviews have been good.:rider:

Tiger Jeff gots mad skillz... I knew he could do it. :thumb:

He does have mad skillz, doesn't he! Next time we are out there I'll try to get some pics of his other tricks. Maybe he will throw a Nac-Nac or a Superman or something like that. How about it? Anybody here want to see Tiger Jeff throw another trick next time?

I hear the Flying W is an awesome trick!

Ahh yes... a personal favorite. Particularly effective when combined with a full flip o'er the bars. I've executed this combo at times to entertain those "slower" riders behind me. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

The flying w used to be a very popular trick back in my MX days, when bikes had a lot less travel. I still see these young guns try it every once in a while, but it just isn't appreciated anymore.;-)

What is this flying "w" that you speak of?!

A quick google turned up the following example: The "W" refers to the position of the riders legs as he is tossed over the bars by a poor rear suspension.

497735832_knRev-S.jpg

Although this rider is a hillclimber, his riding style adapts well to other types of dirtbiking - especially motocross.

This was a very common riding position at Austin Motocross Park back in the mid '70's. Particularly among those in the 125cc Novice class. ;-)

What Jerry said, and just to clarify...from behind the legs look like a w moreso than the from side, like the picture.

Good one Richard!:lol2: I always enjoy reading your reports...even the short ones.:thumb:

Glad your enjoying the DRZ. They're a hoot and somewhat underrated.

Cool pics, even though there wasn't really a TE610 flip.
I could look at jump pics all day.
Excellent.

Back