• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uploading Picture Question?

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Can someone tell me why my color corrections do not make it to the web? I am shooting pictures in RAW, process them on the computer using Aperature or Lightroom, and exporting my edited version directly to SmugMug. However what makes it to the web looks nothing like what I have on my computer screen prior to uploading... It seems to me that it is only sending the MASTER photo, not my edited version

Example:
496862952_56Hrm-L.png

And this on I used the print screen option and took a snapshot of what I see and uploaded it. You can see it is quite different.
496919686_Kmmo6-L.png

Another:
496865414_CNXB7-L.png

And Another Screen Shot:
496937506_fqN8f-L.png

Save it as a jpg and upload that. It'll work just fine. Most editing programs do not actually change the raw file. They create separate files that record your edits and changes. Without reading both files Smugmug dosen't know edits have been made.

What program is that you are using Duke? Is that the RawTherapee?

What program is that you are using Duke? Is that the RawTherapee?

It's Apple Aperture.

I Also have Light Room 2 and Photoshop CS4.

I am trying to figure out which one I like the best. Right now, Aperture is very intuitive and easy to understand/use. Light room is straight forward, but I am still learning it, and find it more difficult to use than Aperture.

Photoshop CS4... Well. I am taking Scot Kelby's training right now on who to use it. I know how to turn the program on and how to quit it, that is about it on Photoshop.

Both pair of images look identical here, however, from the office earlier today they were different. Either you've made some changes to the images since you started this thread or the difference is that I am now using a color managed browser ( Firefox 3 ) and I wasn't earlier. A color managed browser will look at the image tags and adjust accordingly.

Here is a description of the difference:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

--Mike

Both pair of images look identical here, however, from the office earlier today they were different. Either you've made some changes to the images since you started this thread or the difference is that I am now using a color managed browser ( Firefox 3 ) and I wasn't earlier. A color managed browser will look at the image tags and adjust accordingly.

Here is a description of the difference:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

--Mike

I haven't changed the images. But I am diggin the link. I think it explains what I am seeing.

I still need to do more testing to try and duplicate my findings.

As a double-check I turned off the browser's color managment system and logged back in to the thread and sure enough, they're very different now!

--Mike

I took a look at the image tag data and both of the images you uploaded to Smugmug have tags that indicate they're built in the AdobeRBG(1998) colorspace. Both of the image captures would have been built in the sRBG colorspace on your PC (they did not have colorspace tags so sRBG is the default). If your editing editing software has the option, you might want to convert your images to sRBG colorspace before you upload them to Smugmug. Also many cameras can be set up to use a particular colorspace too.

It appears most all browsers that do not manage colorspace will assume the image is in the sRBG colorspace and is why those images tagged as AdobeRBG(1998) will appear desaturated or washed out.

--Mike

I took a look at the image tag data and both of the images you uploaded to Smugmug have tags that indicate they're built in the AdobeRBG(1998) colorspace. Both of the image captures would have been built in the sRBG colorspace on your PC (they did not have colorspace tags so sRBG is the default). If your editing editing software has the option, you might want to convert your images to sRBG colorspace before you upload them to Smugmug. Also many cameras can be set up to use a particular colorspace too.

It appears most all browsers that do not manage colorspace will assume the image is in the sRBG colorspace and is why those images tagged as AdobeRBG(1998) will appear desaturated or washed out.

--Mike

Mike. Thank you for that tip. Yes I am selecting the 1998 colorspace option over the default sRBG. I thought that I had read somewhere that the Adobe 1998 would lend to more true color than sRBG.

Looking back at some of my prior pictures that uploaded just fine, it was prior to me changing that setting.

I will process a couple tonight and see if the theory holds true.

Again, I sure do appreciate the help, as I am still learning all of this mess.

Duke

edited in lightroom, and exported to my desktop as a .jpg using sRGB colorspace.
499080413_Cmy9L-L.jpg

raw image file exported from lightroom with not adjustments other than to export as .jpg, using sRGB colorspace.
499070922_jSRkP-L.jpg

What I see my image as prior to exporting, and what it looks like when I re-open in another program on my machine.
499083275_TC5HK-L.png

I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.... It seems that the only thing that is working for me is to open in Photoshop CS4 and use the Save As function. But I hate photoshop because I just don't understand how it all works... masks, layers, workspace, blah... blah... blah.... I have downloaded the Kelby CS4 Training suite and am doing my best to pay attention, but I just don't understand the language, so to speak.

Last edited:
Duke, the first two images are the same file. They both have the same name and digital checksum which means they contain the exact same information, color tags and all. Is that what you meant to do?

--Mike

Duke, the first two images are the same file. They both have the same name and digital checksum which means they contain the exact same information, color tags and all. Is that what you meant to do?

--Mike

My mistake. I copied the link to the wrong file. I have edited my prior post.

Part of the problem may be that we are not seeing the images the same way as one another. For example, if I use my color managed firefox 3 then all three of your latest images looks pretty much the same.

If I turn the browser's color management off, then the third image ( screen shot ) looks very intense compared to the other two. It would be interesting to sit side by side and compare screens.

At any rate, I'm not sure why you're seeing different results between Lightroom and Photoshop assuming you're using essentially the same steps in each to arrive at a final image.

--Mike

Thank you all for the help.

I have been doing homework trying my best to identify why my adjusted photos were not making it to my SmugMug, just the raw un-adjusted photos were. I went back and noticed that it was inconsistent, sometimes the adjusted photo would actually make it, which baffled me even more.

Well, after it was all done I have figured it out, and it is pretty simple too.

It has to do where I would "right-click" and pick the export option. More specifically which photo I would click on.

As exampled in this picture; I was in the habit of right clicking on the thumbnail photo...
514006294_Put3o-L.png

When I exported from the thumbnail image, none of my adjustments made it to the SmugMug gallery.

However when I "right-click" on the larger "preview" image, all of my adjustments stayed intact and made it to SmugMug.
514006673_rabft-L.png

In the end it wasn't a problem with Lightroom 2 or Aperture, it was with me and how I selected the photo for export.

Lesson learned, Always export from the larger "preview" photo and not the thumbnail.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and help offered, it is truly appreciated.

Back