• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Ranch State Park Information

Reaction score
After several years of riding into BBRSP and being very restricted we spent last weekend actually touring around.

I thought this info may be helpful to all wanting to go and visit.

The place to start is at the visitor center at Sauceda, the main Ranch HQ.

We met the Park Superintendant there, a very nice guy that I had previously traded emails with,and learned all about the new policies.

The recent change in Public Use Plan now allows street legal M/C access everywhere all other legal vehicles could previously go. Certainly not before time.

Before you get out the Google Earth and MapSource software and salivate all over the keyboard at the immense number of visible trails/dirt roads in the Park be advised that many of the original Ranch roads are now closed to all vehicles and are hiking trails only. That means no M/C on the hiking trails.

The only map that really means anything in BBRSP is the one they will give you at Sauceda.

When you get to Sauceda you'll need to pay your $3.00 daily fee and also get a Special Use Permit, at no extra charge, that lets you travel the primitive roads and 4 wheel drive roads, in addition to the general access roads.

The map they have will show you where the hiking trail heads are although when you get there they may not be marked. Do not ride on the hiking trails!

Hiking trails are any one that is shown as a single dashed line.

Richard has documented a ride they did and it turns out to be the only loop of any consequense in the Park. You'll find it under "King Kong Hill"

It's a great trail and well worth the ride.

All the other primitive roads end at a hiking trail head. There are two trail heads in the Solitario and the trail dead ends at both.

If you call ahead you can arrange a lunch at the bunkhouse.

The nearest gas is about 35 miles away in Presidio. The only entrance to the park is off Casa Piedra Rd off Hwy 170 from the South or Hwy 169 from Marfa in the North. None of the roads, including the road to Sauceda are paved. It's very remote but well worth the effort to get there.

One of our group flies his private plane in from Albuquerque. The BBRSP has a paved airstrip. The rest of us just ride in!

Go check it out and be sure to stop at Sauceda and visit. Everyone there is very friendly and happy to see more of the public visiting the greatest State Park in Texas.

Last edited:
Thanks for laying it all out clearly. Next time I'm down there I definitely want to check out the state park.

Any word on the back way in getting opened up?

Thanks for laying it all out clearly. Next time I'm down there I definitely want to check out the state park.

If you 're talking about the North Gate entrance I think the formal answer is "Pending Future Access". I'm not sure we will live long enough to see it happen but we can hope. That would allow through traffic and probably attract more visitors.

Yep, that's what I meant. Oh well, each change is welcome.

If you 're talking about the North Gate entrance I think the formal answer is "Pending Future Access". I'm not sure we will live long enough to see it happen but we can hope. That would allow through traffic and probably attract more visitors.
Which is why they are trying hard to arrange access on that road. There are a few 'legal' access issues with a landowner or two, but negotiations are pending. Then again, sometimes access can be 'granted' depending on which ranger you talk to.

Flying in is way cool. I wish I could do that. With the dirt bike, of course.... ;)

Thanks for posting the info, Steve. Any chance you guys might post up some comments on specific roads? We have Richard's on his favorite hill. Any others?

The route Richard posted is by far the best loop.

I'd recommend riding it in the reverse direction if you question your uphill abilities. The hill is much easier to go down than up.

As I said earlier, just use the Park provided map and stay off anything marked with a single dashed line.

Just the road into BBRSP was awesome. I can't wait to try the rest of this. Thanks Steve.

Back