• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Off-Road riding area near Childress?

Reaction score
First Name
Willum or Bill
I caught the tail end of a news segment on local AM radio about a new riding area near Childress, TX. Has anyone heard about this?

I searched TON and and Google to see what I could dig up, but found nothing.

Anyone?

Got me... but I'd like to know more about it. Any new riding area is a good one.

Had anyone been to Mtn. Creek? Ride report?

I caught the tail end of a news segment on local AM radio about a new riding area near Childress, TX. Has anyone heard about this?

I searched TON and and Google to see what I could dig up, but found nothing.

Anyone?

It is about 3~4 miles north of town between the railroad tracks and US287. You cannot miss it.

We, the Recreational Trails Grant Committee, just approved funding for them to purchase some additional property.

I have not ridden there yet, but it appears they have a track and a small woods section at this point of time.

Uhhhhh......

Could you narrow that down a little more? The only RR tracks I can remember around Childress are the ones at the new underpass just south of town.

Uhhhhh......

Could you narrow that down a little more? The only RR tracks I can remember around Childress are the ones at the new underpass just south of town.

My bad on the description ... Bobby's card indicates that the park is 8 miles west of Childress on Hwy. 287

Check them out, they are working hard to make a great venue.

Tell them Tony said hi.

Thanks Tony. I needed to make a run to Childress so I went on out the highway towards Estelline to take a look at the place. A little confusing to a semi-local since the railroad tracks cross the highway literally right at their place. I was looking on the left side of the highway when I spotted the itty-bitty green sign on the right side saying "ATV PARK". The place is very easy to find if you aren't caught up in thinking you knowwhere you are going.

Just head west from Childress til you cross the overpass for the railroad tracks and there it is.

Dan was up in town getting tires, but I talked to his wife for a couple of minutes. They are hoping to have the first motocross next month and an enduro is planned next month also. Should be giggles on the hard pack out there. Reminds me of a lot of the tracks from the 70's.

They are hoping to have a website up this month.

I took a couple of pics for anybody interested.

http://huskyvarmit.smugmug.com/Other/1310902/13604573_3REgD#992442036_GBKb8

Last edited:
Thanks to Husky Varmit for providing photographic confirmation. Looks like it could be fun. I have inlaws in Quanah (about 30 miles down the road) and now something to do besides shooting/hunting. Does anyone know what is required for admission (TMTC membership and/or green sticker)?

Woods? Near Childress? :lol2:
Well, we used to have a state circuit enduro at Memphis just down the road for many, many years. While hardly east Texas forest, I recall having to dodge trees a bunch while weaving in and out of the mesquites. A mesquite ain't an oak or pine tree, but it blocks the direction of travel about as good as any tree or object to make a trail flow...and it hurts about as bad if you smack into one.:lol2:

Stephen Thompson with the off road section of Parks & Wildlife was in one of our local motorcycle shops a week or so ago giving us advice on reopening a trail near Abilene. He commented on this Childress trail when he was here. The more the merrier.

First and foremost - I know very little about the actual operation, rules, prices, days, hours, etc. I only spent a couple of minutes on a hot day in between other stops. BUT, I did see a sign stating that the green stickie is required. Based on that, I would assume that street legal dual sports are OK also.

YES! There are real, living, deciduous trees around Childress! Some are indiginous and many are the result of a government program started ( I believe) after the great dust bowl days. Farmers were paid to plant rows of trees called 'shelter belts' to combat soil blowing out of the fields. The reason I was up at Childress was to check on some acreage north of town, near the river. It has many indiginous oak along with the standard mesquite.

I only rode Memphis once back in the 70's (early 80's? - what the heck - a longgggg time ago) and I remember a few hardwoods jumping out in front of me when I wasn't looking.

Back