PDA

View Full Version : Stillwater, OK ride (fun and muddy)

Hop
05-16-2005, 03:10 PM
I rode at Stillwater Motorcycle Park in Oklahoma on Saturday. If you get a chance it is worth the trip. Nicely marked one way loop trails with lots of tight single track stuff. This was my first real trail ride in over 20 years and also my first muddy trail ride in even longer. The BRP did very well and I believe I surprised a few of the other riders by how well I could take it on the single track. I guess all that mountain biking paid off.

Tourmeister
05-16-2005, 03:51 PM
BRP?

STrider
05-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Big Red Pig??

Tourmeister
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Being used to the GS I guess I just wasn't thinking of a feather weight like an XR650R as being a "Big Pig" :lol:

Adios,

Hop
05-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Compared to the other bikes that were out there it was definately on the piggish side as far as size and weight go. I had no problem picking it up the 3 times it went over. I only went down with it once in a nice big deep mud hole.

Bandit33
05-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Yes, the folks that ride Honda xr650s and 600s refer to them, affectionly, as "Big Red Pigs" or BRPs. I would like to ride one sometime just to see how it compares to the DRZ. Had a 84 XL350 at one time but I suspect there have been big changes since then.

Don

Earthpilot
05-17-2005, 05:52 PM
The "Stillwater Motorcycle Park" you mention is the one out
West of town off 80th street.We call it the "500" as in acres. The area has been around since the 70's for riding. Tons of trails / long loops, nice red dirt terrain and a couple of MX tracks. The Cooper family ( as in Guy Cooper ) has had a lot of participation in that area along with the local clubs. It's a couple of miles down the road from Cooperland MX which also has some really nice trails to ride there along with the MX tracks.
I try to get up there and ride at least once a year.
You rode at a great spot!

Hop
05-19-2005, 12:39 PM
I spent some time on an XL350 back in the day. The XR650R is a completly different animal. Weight wise it might be similar to the old steel tanked 350 but the suspension and power are miles ahead. I wanted the R model every since they came out and don't regret the purchase at all. I think I am addicted to tourque what with the BRP and the Bandit 1200 as my main rides.

Yes, the folks that ride Honda xr650s and 600s refer to them, affectionly, as "Big Red Pigs" or BRPs. I would like to ride one sometime just to see how it compares to the DRZ. Had a 84 XL350 at one time but I suspect there have been big changes since then.

Don

Hop
05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
That is the place. I wish there was a place around here like it that you only pay $25 and ride for the entire year.

The "Stillwater Motorcycle Park" you mention is the one out
West of town off 80th street.We call it the "500" as in acres. The area has been around since the 70's for riding. Tons of trails / long loops, nice red dirt terrain and a couple of MX tracks. The Cooper family ( as in Guy Cooper ) has had a lot of participation in that area along with the local clubs. It's a couple of miles down the road from Cooperland MX which also has some really nice trails to ride there along with the MX tracks.
I try to get up there and ride at least once a year.
You rode at a great spot!