• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Steel Horse Cafe - Tarpley, TX

Reaction score
Their food was excellent, hamburgers and BBQ with a real smoker in the rear for the BBQ and on a Texas Scenic Trail too.
DCP_9182_small.jpg
DCP_9198_small.jpg
DCP_9194_small.jpg
DCP_9189_small.jpg

tarpley.jpg

Sunday, March 13, rode to Tarpley Texas with wife Teresa on back of R1100RT and son Brian on VStar-650. Tarpley is about 50 miles from San Antonio on highway 16 with the last 3 miles on highway 470 (Texas Hill Country Trail Road). Our stop was the "Steel Horse Cafe", run by the Rutledge family.

We left San Antonio late, about 4pm and did not attempt the ride on to StoneHenge II that we originally planned. Bunch of photos here: http://tinyurl.com/4qto8 and trip report here: http://tinyurl.com/3r8ba.

One of the menu items was "Sportster Special". I asked what that was and it turned out to be a senior citizen portion at 1/2 fare. Since a true HD Sportster is 1/2 the motorcycle but for twice the regular price that menu item might be considered incorrect.

We thought the Steel Horse BBQ was far better then the Harry On The Loop BBQ although the Willow City Loop was more scenic than 470. Maybe in a month or two the wildflowers will be blooming.

A picture and story about MasterSgt Rutledge was on the wall, he was a survivor of the Batann March during WW2.

I cannot say any more about the food except it was excellent and easily worth the 2 hour ride. The walls were full of motorcycle pictures of riders who stopped there to eat. My son Brian spotted a sign "Please do not throw butts in the urinal, they get soggy and are hard to light". We felt that easily beat the Willow City Harry's on the Loop "Use trashcan and feel free to recycle tissue if we are out" sign.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Steel Horse Cafe
Dan & Valerie
830-562-3325

Is this on a road off of 470 in Tarpley? When I've boogied through that particular wide spot in the road, all I remember is a few houses on one side and a convenience store + Mac and Ernie's on the other...

Paul, I saw it on our TWT rally ride. If you are heading East, it is just over the bridge and on the left. Looked newish. Big sign said it was biker friendly ;-)

Adios,

I've stopped at the Steel Horse twice - great cheeseburgers and their fries are outstanding. They always have some good-looking desserts in the 'fridge next to where you order but I've been too full after eating the burger and fries to sample the desserts.
Friendly folks run this place - I wouldn't hestitate to stop there when I'm out riding and get hungry.

Ed W.
Universal City, TX

Back