• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW interstate vs. other interstate bikes

Reaction score
Personally I think BMW has a great looking interstate bike and appears to be able to handle interstate travel nicely. I am considering taking up this hobby as well. I spoke to a buddy at the office who does several long trips a year. I asked him his opinion on this bike and he said he has owned two previous BMWs and has switched to the Honda 1800. He said the 2 BMW's had mechanical problems that he expected NOT to have and was unsatisfied with the amount of matenience and tinkering he had to do. He admitted he does not handle major mechanical jobs himself and eventually switched to the Honda, which he loves.

I am looking for other opinions on owning and maintaining a BMW over the others.

Any opinions would be appreciated

Having ridden Japanese bikes for 30-odd years, I bought my first BMW last December. What I've discovered is that, among BMW owners, there's lots of diverse opinions about reliability, rideability, handling, etc. Many BMW owners have become cynical about the once revered BMW reputation for quality. "Airheads" - older boxers such as my ride - are simpler and seen by some as "better". The "flying bricks" are great on the highways, not easy to work on. New boxers are great highway flyers as well.

Each bike carries unique characteristics that will attract some and repel others.

It gets back to the old question about buying a PC - the answer about which bike is best for you depends on how you intend to use it and what your preferences are. As I've gotten to know my airhead, I like it more and more.

The Honda will have better reliability and more torque. The BMW will get better mileage and have better range. The ergonomics are subjective, but I find the Honda cramped for the pilot.

The Honda will have better reliability and more torque. The BMW will get better mileage and have better range. The ergonomics are subjective, but I find the Honda cramped for the pilot.

Ditto.

I currently have a GL1800 that took the place of a K12LT. The GL18 has more low end torque, a much better sound system and handles better at parking lot speeds. Other than that, I prefer the K LT though I freely admit to having ridden BMWs for a long, long time and am more used to the ergonomics. Having said the above, for one up touring the R1200RT is my preference bar none. What possessed me to sell my 2005 model, I will never know!

As regards service, a major rap against BMW motorcycles is the small number of widely scattered dealers. On the flip side, most have techs who know how to work on touring bikes and they stock service parts. This isn't the case with a goodly number of Honda dealers.

I test rode the Vision. Comfortable, good wind protection, handles very well, doesn't get upset with cross winds, low speed is a breeze and low seat height. It comes in three flavors of standard equipment. The thing I liked the most was the long floor boards, you can ride in the standard position (feet under ) to stretched out. Maintaince is oil, air cleaner and tires. I would have one but my job status precludes any purchase other than cash!
Same price range as the LT and the Wing, the new H/D is said to be well handling also.
Before you plunk down the big bucks do the maintiance math and do test rides.

Victory%20Vision%20Street%20%201.jpg

But the Vision ain't a motorcycle - it's a scooter on steroids! And extremely UGLY! :eek2:

:duck:

Ok, I'm just gonna come out and say it - Burgman 650. :duck:

I guess it all depends on what you want. I liked my K75 but it was the first bike I ever owned. Honda Wing, ST1300, Yami FJR, Saki Concourse, BMW RT or LT series, Sprint ST, Guzzi all make some decent mile munchers w/ various strengths and weaknesses.

Only half joking w/ the Burgman, I like riding mine on the interstate. 550mi was most I've done in a day on it. Having floorboards is nice so you can move feet around. Range is limited compared to others. Heck, now that I'm thinking about it, my ZZR600 is a nice interstate bike. :mrgreen:

I spent over a year pondering the same question you have. I rode them all and read as much as I could on the net. Lots of opinions out there. I'm 6'1" and the wing was too cramped. Knees were right up against the fairing. The K1200 was a better fit but just seemed too sterile. It didn't "move" me. I liked the R1200RT but my wife wanted more comfort back there. That was also a big factor. I finally test rode the '09 Ultra Classic and was hooked. The handling is soooo much improved. And the bottom line, it just felt right to me. Go try them all on for size and feel. You'll know when you've go the right one for you.

To be a scooter it must have a CVT or automatic. But what would a guy riding a mid century bike designed in the 20s know about ugly!

:duck:

:rofl:

You're fixin' to put this thread on lock-down! :lol2:

OK, so the vision actually has a manual tranny? Simply means it's confused - kind of half-way between being a man and woman, I mean between a scooter and motorcycle.

FYI - I ride a motorcycle wrapped around an airplane engine! :rider:

You're fixin' to put this thread on lock-down! :lol2:

OK, so the vision actually has a manual tranny? Simply means it's confused - kind of half-way between being a man and woman, I mean between a scooter and motorcycle.

FYI - I ride a motorcycle wrapped around an airplane engine! :rider:

I take it that the closest you have been to a Vision is a photograph?

Besides a smooth transmission, the Vision has an engine that can idle without shaking the entire machine and without overheating in 90 seconds.

You are one to talk! <BBG>

Must be a young kid who doesn't appreciate the classic style of the much vaunted boxer twin from Bavaria.:trust:

Certainly, you're not referring to my person? I'm nearly as good lookin' as my bike.:dude:

I take it that the closest you have been to a Vision is a photograph?

Besides a smooth transmission, the Vision has an engine that can idle without shaking the entire machine and without overheating in 90 seconds.

Wow! Didn't expect that one light-hearted comment of mine to strike such a chord! Of course I've not been closer than a photo - it's scary enough in 2-D.

Regarding shaking the entire machine, I ride a BMW Boxer, not a Harley.

As for over-heating - ain't happened yet.

My airhead has a dry clutch like a Duc, but it ain't like the dry clutch on a Duc.

Look, I have a friend who rides a Harley - I can tolerate a Vision, for somebody else. But I still think it's one of the ugliest, un-motorcycle-like two wheelers in history.

Look, I have a friend who rides a Harley - I can tolerate a Vision, for somebody else. But I still think it's one of the ugliest, un-motorcycle-like two wheelers in history.
I think it's the motorcycle version of the Ford Taurus... it's something that just has to grow on you for a while and even then you might still reject it. I've seen one in the flesh and it was better looking than in the photos, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Must be a young kid who doesn't appreciate the classic style of the much vaunted boxer twin from Bavaria.:trust:

Certainly, you're not referring to my person? I'm nearly as good lookin' as my bike.:dude:

I was "appreciating" my own BMW airheads before you were born, I suspect...

My point was that beauty is subjective. The Vision is a bit "over styled" for my taste but it's a fine high end cruiser and certainly more appealing (to me) than it's domestic competition.

I think it's the motorcycle version of the Ford Taurus... it's something that just has to grow on you for a while and even then you might still reject it. I've seen one in the flesh and it was better looking than in the photos, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I kind if like the Ford Taurus :lol2:

I agree - it's a matter of choice. And I am thankful we still have some of that in this country.

I was "appreciating" my own BMW airheads before you were born, I suspect...

My point was that beauty is subjective. The Vision is a bit "over styled" for my taste but it's a fine high end cruiser and certainly more appealing (to me) than it's domestic competition.

Thank you for thinking me young. :sun: I'll remember your comment when my daughter comes home from college this evening and reminds me otherwise.

I agree that beauty is subjective and somebody MUST like that thing - or else the taxpayers would own the company. I don't like much in the way of new motorcycles. Glad to have owned some old Yamahas and my current ride - they appeal to me. :-P

Let each find what turns his crank and enjoy the ride. I only hope I don't get stuck behind a Vision. :eek2:

I test rode the Vision. Comfortable, good wind protection, handles very well, doesn't get upset with cross winds, low speed is a breeze and low seat height. It comes in three flavors of standard equipment. The thing I liked the most was the long floor boards, you can ride in the standard position (feet under ) to stretched out. Maintaince is oil, air cleaner and tires. I would have one but my job status precludes any purchase other than cash!
Same price range as the LT and the Wing, the new H/D is said to be well handling also.
Before you plunk down the big bucks do the maintiance math and do test rides.

I have owned 3 wings including an 08 and ride with some BMW LT riders. I would not spend my hard-earned dollars on a a Harley Ultra, Victory Vision or any other bike with that style of air-cooled engine. I have to be careful with wording as I do ride an air (and oil) cooled bike now. It does have a better design for air flow, though.

I do not see the miles out of those like wings (which I would recommend) or LTs (which have some issues that keep me from recommending them). There are exceptions, but the majority of the wing riders put more miles on than the big V-twin tourers and do not have many problems. Except running off the road in Arkansas like I did and that was my fault.

I saw a Vision the other day going down 183 during Napalm's test ride day. I can't say I liked it any better in person, but it appeals to a lot of people which is all that counts. If I were to look in that direction again, I'd be back on a Road King or Ultra Glide. I just can't love the LT and the Wing, as mentioned, is just too cramped.

Great informaiton here guys... but bare with me please. I asssume "Boxers"
"Flying Bricks" and "Airheads" are a style of bikes..but please verify the styles..

And what do yall me by Ergonomics-:giveup:

Thank you for thinking me young. :sun: I'll remember your comment when my daughter comes home from college this evening and reminds me otherwise.

I agree that beauty is subjective and somebody MUST like that thing - or else the taxpayers would own the company. I don't like much in the way of new motorcycles. Glad to have owned some old Yamahas and my current ride - they appeal to me. :-P

Let each find what turns his crank and enjoy the ride. I only hope I don't get stuck behind a Vision. :eek2:

My daughter has college age children!

I too like (to look at and play with) old (vintage) bikes, both Cherman and British. I wouldn't however look forward to touring on either. I would prefer to be behind a Vision as opposed to one of it's noisy domestic competitors. Wouldn't you?

Seriously, I doubt that I will ever own a Vision; though stranger things have happened. However, I am impressed with the bike after seeing, riding and listening to it. U S companies can indeed build modern (albeit vintage looking) motorcycles...

My daughter has college age children!

I too like (to look at and play with) old (vintage) bikes, both Cherman and British. I wouldn't however look forward to touring on either. I would prefer to be behind a Vision as opposed to one of it's noisy domestic competitors. Wouldn't you?

Seriously, I doubt that I will ever own a Vision; though stranger things have happened. However, I am impressed with the bike after seeing, riding and listening to it. U S companies can indeed build modern (albeit vintage looking) motorcycles...

You are indeed and old person! I pray I reach that age - good on you!

I've ridden my boxer 430 miles on bad tires in one day and, with the Corbin seat, got off with no aches or regrets. Ergonomics of my airhead are as if they were custom made for me - even though the leg and foot room is restricted. I do not like V-twins, period. I would rather ride on my BMW than any other bike I've been on, though I've gone long distance on several Jap bikes.

The current Triumphs do the best job, IMO, of building classic new bikes. But I also dislike chain drive and will not own a street bike with it.

You are indeed and old person! I pray I reach that age - good on you!

I've ridden my boxer 430 miles on bad tires in one day and, with the Corbin seat, got off with no aches or regrets. Ergonomics of my airhead are as if they were custom made for me - even though the leg and foot room is restricted. I do not like V-twins, period. I would rather ride on my BMW than any other bike I've been on, though I've gone long distance on several Jap bikes.

The current Triumphs do the best job, IMO, of building classic new bikes. But I also dislike chain drive and will not own a street bike with it.

Yes. I am indeed older than dirt! You must really be young to let someone sel (or give) you a Corbin seat...

One of the sweetest sounding engines on the planet (gospel as opposed to opinion :-) ) is the Moto Guzzi.

Back