PDA

View Full Version : ?'s for Triumph Rocket III riders

1 wheel peel
04-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a really good friend that is looking to get back into riding and is looking very seriously at the rockets. He doesn't know much about bikes in general, just wants to ride, and have plenty of power for two up riding.

I know the rocket 3 has more than enough HP and Tq and that it is a very big bike (he is also very tall). My questions are more along the lines of are there any mechanical issues with them? After having put miles on them are you still in love with them? :trust: If he buys a used one is there anything other than the usual stuff that he should look for?

Sorry if this is not where this question belongs. Just trying to help out a friend.

1 wheel peel
04-13-2009, 09:58 AM
No one rides a Rocket III ?:shrug:

The Bruce
04-13-2009, 10:05 AM
No one rides a Rocket III ?:shrug:

Not a very common ride. I've only sat on one at Lone Star. Sorry, no help.

bluedogok
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Try TriumphRAT.net (http://www.triumphrat.net/). We don't even have any Rocket riders that I remember on our local Triumph board.

TexasTri
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
tell him to go here. http://www.triumphrat.net There is a sub forum dedicated to the Rocket 3. If he does end up getting one it will be a great resource.

Kidder
04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I would say that the Rocket III would not be my first choice for getting back into motorcycling. The thing has gobs of power and well, I imagine it wouldn't be very forgiving in the hands of a noob.

I demo'd one once and it was an absolute blast to ride.

1 wheel peel
04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Not a very common ride. I've only sat on one at Lone Star. Sorry, no help.
Thanks Bruce your right not very common at all.

Try TriumphRAT.net (http://www.triumphrat.net/). We don't even have any Rocket riders that I remember on our local Triumph board.
I thought I had seen one in someone's avitar here. :shrug:

tell him to go here. http://www.triumphrat.net There is a sub forum dedicated to the Rocket 3. If he does end up getting one it will be a great resource.
Great thanks for the link.:thumb:

I would say that the Rocket III would not be my first choice for getting back into motorcycling. The thing has gobs of power and well, I imagine it wouldn't be very forgiving in the hands of a noob.

I demo'd one once and it was an absolute blast to ride.
I understand and agree to some degree. He is not a noob and has rode some off and on through the years just been a while since he owned one and doesn't want to go through multiple bikes in a year or two.

Thanks for the replys.:thumb:
Duane

innominate
04-13-2009, 12:55 PM
my friend in nola went from a daytona to the r3 touring. he loves the thing. he's not tall, only 6'1 but he's prob pushin 275. you could also try http://www.r3owners.com/portal.php

1 wheel peel
04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
my friend in nola went from a daytona to the r3 touring. he loves the thing. he's not tall, only 6'1 but he's prob pushin 275. you could also try http://www.r3owners.com/portal.php

Thanks seems like a pretty good site for R3 mech info:thumb:

trainman
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I have a buddy that rides a Rocket III, he likes the bike and has had no problems with the bike, except the battery went bad. My buddy is about 6'6" and weighs (guess 300lbs.). Bike fits him well.

John

tfrazier
05-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I posted a similar query over at r3owners.com (you may not want to go there...portions are "r" rated) and here's one of the best replies I got:

if you are looking at '04 and '05, it's a GOOD THING if the bike has had the infamous "upgrade kit." Mine and everybody that I've talked to has had an excellent experience after getting new internals.

Look out for the timing chain rattle, sounds like a paint can when cold then goes away. Also fixed via the upgrade kit. Any scraping, grinding, or squeaking around the 2-3K rpm range is indicative of needing the upgrade kit. I think these problems were mostly resolved by the '06+ model year.

Not sure if anybody has found out what "high mileage" is as of yet. But there are lots of poser bikes out there that never got ridden, so I'm sure you'll be able to find a low mileage bike. Somebody just found an '05 with something like 300 miles on it!

Keep in mind that the majority of '04 and '05 bikes have not had any issues, but there is certainly a small group that had definite problems.

Triumph has been taking care of these out of warranty problems UNDER WARRANTY, but it is causing the owners anywhere for 2 weeks to 3 months of down time.

Anyway ... good luck in your search.

1 wheel peel
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the replys. After much shopping around my friend picked up a 1998 Valkyrie Touring with only 7,500 miles on it. The thing looked new. And he seems very happy with it.

Valker
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the replys. After much shopping around my friend picked up a 1998 Valkyrie Touring with only 7,500 miles on it. The thing looked new. And he seems very happy with it.
Hey, my 98 Valkyrie Tourer has 7700 miles on it (this time around).
Bet he loves it for a while.:rider:

1 wheel peel
05-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey, my 98 Valkyrie Tourer has 7700 miles on it (this time around).
Bet he loves it for a while.:rider:

:lol2: How many times has it been around?

Yeah I told him he would NEVER wear it out.:mrgreen:

gixxerjasen
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Valkyrie, the only other cruiser I'd think about owning. When I was buying my first motorcycle, Suzuki Katana, somebody pulled up on one of those. I just loved the look of all that motor hanging out the side, like there wasn't room to stuff it all in the frame and it just oozed out. Then later I got a load of the specs on them and was duly impressed. Never cared for the look of the Interstate model though.

Valker
05-22-2009, 10:47 PM
:lol2: How many times has it been around?

Yeah I told him he would NEVER wear it out.:mrgreen:
Just the second time 7700 has shown.....
I am not much for tinkering. I figure in another 4000 miles, I'll have another chance to do the skipped 12,000 mile service.:rider:

charlie one horse
07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Here it is -The rocket111 is a Great Bike Late 2007 or 2008 has the upgrade from vin 337295 after the J or T - the only problem I Know of . If you are Big it fits you Good. If you like fast It is bad to the bone. It Will Smoke any Cruiser out there. Once you Ride One, You Cant go Back! I had a 2006 Now have a 2008 -This one is Better! :trust:

1 wheel peel
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Here it is -The rocket111 is a Great Bike Late 2007 or 2008 has the upgrade from vin 337295 after the J or T - the only problem I Know of . If you are Big it fits you Good. If you like fast It is bad to the bone. It Will Smoke any Cruiser out there. Once you Ride One, You Cant go Back! I had a 2006 Now have a 2008 -This one is Better! :trust:

Pardon my ignorance, what is the upgrade Charlie? I have heard it refered to but really don't know what is involved.

charlie one horse
07-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what is the upgrade Charlie? I have heard it refered to but really don't know what is involved.

Well some had Transmission problems not all ,because I have a friend with a 2005 and he has no problems. BUT triumph WILL IF YOU have a problem repair it Free even if Warranty is out. But it's a Big Job! Here is some of it!
Replace cam shaft drive chain-reshaped second gear- heavy clutch springs-replace torsionial damper shaft bearnings- replace gear position shaft - fuel tank level sender- spark plugs an ht coils- 2008 Rocket and up has it ALL! I would say don't By a 2007 are Older.

kurt
07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
snuffcityrider owned one (and still may).

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14859&highlight=Rocket+III