PDA

View Full Version : upgrade bug

birdwh
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Looks like I am taking the upgrade plunge with the old Trophy.

First up is dual Staintune exhaust cans and Factory Pro Trophy TD12 jetkit for my Mikuni 36mm carbs. Also a corbin Canyon dualsport seat.

Suspension will come later. Perhaps send the forks off for revalve and possible RaceTech cartridge emulators. The stock monoshock is a bit of a problem. Looks like only Penske or Wilbers Racing will make a custom unit for the TT 1200. ($$$)

Sadly there no longer appears to be an aftermarket windscreen available. Zero Gravity made a cool one, but no more.

Triumph factory electronic cruise control for trophy if I can still get it. If not, some aftermarket system.

Tourmeister
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
:tab Hmmm...?? Planning on doing a LOT more touring? I wonder if anything is in the works with the Triumph folks to replace/upgrade the Trophy with a newer model. It seems everything else in their line has been revamped.

:tab For what it is worth, I would do the seat and suspension first. Those two things will improve the ride more than any engine mods.

Adios,

birdwh
05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
After talking to some folks on the phone and around town, looks like i'll probably have AF1Racing here in Austin (across from the Duc dealership on Lamar) do the Factory Pro kit installation. Turns out they use a Factory Pro Dyno and gas analyzer and do lots of Factory Pro jet kits.

I agree suspension is more important especially on this bike, but it's going to be big bucks I'm afraid. Pipes, seat and jet kit offers all important instant gratification. The pipes look sooo good. All polished stainless steel with that nice Staintune motif etched on the sides. I'm fairly confident of a good result as these staintunes and this exact Factory Pro kit have been paired up before on the trophy 1200 + 36mm Mikuni's AND the kit does not require drilling, reslotting or airbox modifications.

I found I can replace the stock 4p calipers with hayabusa 6 piston calipers! Now all I need is a wrecked 'Busa. Or maybe another sport bike with my same rotor size and caliper attachments would work...

Todd in LC
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Save yourself all the trouble and just get an FJR. You know you want one :-P

scratch
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Save yourself all the trouble and just get an FJR. You know you want one :-P

Yep, the FJR is mighty nice, but it's missing something...

Maybe it's this -
http://motorcyclecity.com/2004-Motorcycles/Triumph/Triumph_Logo.gif

- in British Racing Green:
http://www.triumphadonf.com/mod_act/2000/coloris/trophy_britracgreen.jpg

;-)

birdwh
05-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Been through the FJR decision process already...concluded the trophy has some characteristics I don't want to lose such as comfort and superior weather protection. Also it's got the uniqueness factor which will only increase as time advances. I love the styling and classic color.

Now that i've decided to keep it for the long haul I can have fun with customization. Another factor to consider is that custom parts for trophy are slowly disappearing and won't be around for too many more years.

Triumph will be coming out with a new trophy in the next few years. It's just a matter of time before an announcement surfaces. So far it's hush-hush and the only rumour is 'shaft drive'. Duh, could guess that. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict it will have an up-tuned version of the Rocket III engine. :twisted: That will be a terrible temptation indeed. :angel:

Tourmeister
05-17-2005, 10:55 PM
I would think finding a wrecked Busa would be simple. Just call ANY cycle salvage yard :lol: Can't wait to hear the Staintunes... :twisted:

Adios,

birdwh
05-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Got the 'busa calipers. Lots of em available, they are used on a bunch of other big sport bikes which go screech-crash-crunch regularly. $100 with shipping. Also found a pair for $11. Looked like they slid 300 feet. :shock:

Oh, and word is the next 'Trophy' will be a full-dress tourer version of the Rocket III. Yuck. If they call it a Trophy I will really barf. :headbang:

Cruzintexas
05-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Save yourself all the trouble and just get an FJR. You know you want one
04,abs
steve

birdwh
05-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Either the FJR riders are cloning or Todd changed his handle from 'Todd in LC' to 'Cruzintexas'. :scratch

I will not be assimilated by the FJR Borg! Until I finally wear this one out and even then I might go for the Sprint or maybe a Futura.

Tourmeister
05-26-2005, 12:08 AM
That was odd...

Todd in LC
05-26-2005, 09:36 AM
An attemp to quote my original post? I decided last night there are too many FJR's on the road for my liking. Approximately 10 within a 5 mile radius of my house. This time next year I will be riding either a Sprint ST or an ST4. (Talk about an upgrade bug)