• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Skaggs Springs Road

Fittysom'n

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is a shameless post simply to grab the attention of a gentleman I met yesterday during a 450 mile ride. I met him at 'The Bridge' along Skaggs Springs Road.... a popular spot to pose, a popular road to ride. He was aboard a red Bandit, with a Scorp' can, Givi screen, and comfy Corbin. You ready for this? He bought the bike (complete with luggage and SW Motech quick release) for a mere five grand..... and the bike had a mere thousand miles when he bought it!?!!! He knows why I want to contact him.... so if you read this Matt, PM me.... I shoulda given ya my email address.
---------------------------------
My ride yesterday:

Three of us met for breakfast Saturday morning, where the only other people up at that hour were truckers preparing for their day and a waitress who went on and on about her son's recent get-off from a bike. With the early morning sun throwing long shadows of Tres Amigos on their bikes, we started the day via Hwy 12 to Rio Vista where we picked up Montezuma Hills. WooHOO, THIS is gonna be a good RIDE!

Lake Berryessa, Dutcher Creek to Lake Sonoma preceded a stop overlooking Skaggs Springs. We interviewed a couple bikes already up there about any spotting of black helicopters, local fish cops trolling the roads, or.... "fun monitors" out squid hunt'n. None seen, 'copters not heard, clear roads lie ahead. You gotta know that this "Skaggs Springs" road is stretch of wide tarmac that consists of long smooth sweepers in BOTH directions, up hill, down hill, smooooth, free of particulate, FAAAAST!, and with a posted speed limit of "35 mph"....... We behaved, keeping our velocities under 100 mph, ever paranoid that a "fun monitor" is laying in wait to nab us. There was only one other bike on our way to 'the bridge', but there musta been over a dozen Duc's and a couple UJM's kicking back when we got there. No pose'n, just kicking back, sitting on the guard rail, and chatting 'bout bikes. It was here that I spied another Bandit and met it's owner..... and his tires revealed that he's no slouch on a motor! He had a new rear shock absorber from Holeshot on his bike and LOVED it. His comments were that it smooooothed out the rough roads beneath him, kept the tire glued to the tarmac while leaning over and hitting that errant bump that would normally make his bike hop to the side. He also changed out the fluid up front to 5 weight, but complained that he has increased nose-dive on hard braking and rebound that lacks..... he'll be addressing the front-end next.

We then took a route that could be likened to that Star Wars scene where they flew those airborne motorcycles through the trees. The shade was a welcome relief from the sun, the trees were beautiful, and no moss gathered the maze of roads that challenged our skills! Can you say 'FUN!'? Then we did a little "PCH" Pacific Coast Hiway, Hwy 1.

Arriving in Bodega Bay, we stopped at Spud Point Marina for chowder & sandwiches. Jeez, I abused my magic plastic for over twenty bucks to try a crab sammich and cup-o-chowder! ?! Whatever, I gue$$ I enjoyed it....

The last leg of the ride put a bug in my eye, the 'Busa locked up his rear wheel at a sudden light change, and the FZ1 ignored those radar read-outs on Hwy 12 telling him that he wasn't traveling a mere 55. I think we were starting to feel the long day, we were pretty tired. We pulled over in Rio Vista for some water and to give our butts a rest; twenty minutes later we said our Good Byes, anxiously spoke of the next RIDE, then reluctantly boarded our steeds for the ride home.

It was a good day, it was a day with bugs-a-plenty, a day of good roads, cooperative cagers, and Tres Amigos having fun while wandering westerly. Three of us setting out for a RIDE at sunrise..... returning home 450 miles later with the sun setting at our backs. It's been said before, and I'll say it again,
'LIFE IS GOOD!'

And BOY does this Stage 1 work! It really smoooths out the delivery of power, improves throttle response, winds up effortlessly toward red-line. And there's MORE where this (power) comes from!??!

(PM me Matt.....)

Fittysom'n

Cool right up regarding your trip. Heck of a days ride you and your buddies made. I'm the guy on the red bandit. I'll shoot you a PM.

Welcome to the board, Roll It On.

It's almost like TWTex is becoming an eHarmony or FaceBook! :mrgreen:

GregH,

Thank you for the welcome. This is a great facebook....ops I mean motorcycle forum. It was cool to run into fittysom'n out on the road the other day only to realize I had read numerous threads that he had posted in. Small world.

roll_it_on,

Post a quick pic' of that Holeshot shock, Corbin seat, and Givi......
and there are quite a few fans of the red Bandit, post one of the whole bike.

Oh.... and what kind of tires were you sporting? They were a little balled up of melted rubber and feathered on the sides. Were ya showing those two Duc's you were with what over 90 ft.lb's of torque can do in the twisties?!?

Welcome roll_it_on! And I second Greg
postpics.gif

OK it looks like it is now time to learn how to post of photos to the forum. Not sure how to do that but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I'm running the Dunlop Qualifiers right now since I had a nail flat ont the stocker the day before a ride and the qualifier was the only tire that the local shop had in my size. They stick like glue and work great but the rear will be a throw away by three thousand miles. All that torque is hard on tires. :rider: We were out again today to scaggs and had the whole place to ourselves with 80+ degrees weather. Simply awesome :trust: I just love the big bandito when it comes to running the twisties. It puts my buddies ST4 to shame and it ain't no slouch.

OK here is my first try at posting photos of my addiction. The shock is the new cogent/holeshot unit and the other photos are the other stablemates to the big bandito. I have a 19 year old son that rides too.

Attachments

• Bandit 007.jpg
    Bandit 007.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Bandit 008.jpg
    Bandit 008.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Bandit 009.jpg
    Bandit 009.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Bandit 010.jpg
    Bandit 010.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Bandit 011.jpg
    Bandit 011.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 201
You done real good with the pictures roll it on. I get my Bandit tomorrow and I have heard no one believes you without pictures. So I will take a few and post them.

That's right Chan. So far we only believe you ride a donkey! :rofl:

Great pics, Roll. How do you like the new shock? How is the ride different from stock?

That's right Chan. So far we only believe you ride a donkey! :rofl:

Nice one, I got a good chuckle from that:rofl:

Great pics roll_it_on, bike looks great! Like the rear shock, now we want your opinion on it:rider:

Enjoyed the pictures....You really went into detail on the wash...Nice and clean!

What kind of shock did you install ?

He's got the shock that Dale Walker (Holeshot) sells. It's been dialed in for the Bandit 1250 and Matt insists that the ride is MUCH improved, MUCH smoother than the factory shock. Cogent (who made the shock for Dale) also has springs for the front-end made with the Bandit 1250 in mind.... He convinced me, I want the Holeshot/Cogent set up too!

I couldn't post of my first photos of her without a bath first. Besides she had about 3lbs on bug guts on her from this nice spring weather and lots of flying protein.

As Fittysom'n said the shock is the new one offered by Dale Walker. It is a real nice piece of machinary and it made for a much smoother less jarring ride. The adjustments are also much easier to make both for preload and for the dampening. The stock shock always felt cheap to me and the action was less then good and felt harsh. I would have loved to buy a 1100 dollar fully adjustable remote preload shock but for the money this works very well. Dale and Rick spent the time to get it right. I am waiting for the fork springs and valving from them to get finalized and then I will do the front. I changed out the front forks to 5weight oil to get better action in the meantime but it needs a bit more rebound then it currently has but it is much more compliant on the less then perfect roads.

Now if I could only convince the chief financial officer of the house to cut loose of some additional funding to support my addiction I would be set :hail:

Now if I could only convince the chief financial officer of the house to cut loose of some additional funding to support my addiction I would be set

"...To dream, the impossible dream..." (With apologies to Frank Sinatra)

Ok guys, the donkey is out to pasture and Chan-man is ready to ride.:thumb:
Are yall believers now? 2008, 800 miles, Givi bags and yoshi slipon. This pic was taken on the way home from the dealer,in between Asheville and Chimney Rock NC.

2m4vw1w.jpg

Chan-man,

Beautiful bike. I really like that silver color scheme. Very sweet looking. Almost as nice as my red one....... I guess we can believe you now. Enjoy :rider:

Fittysom'n writes a good ride story. My ride home was good until I got behind Uncle Claude and Aunt Esther in the mini van, enjoying the mountain views. I was just getting into a groove in the twisties. I need to lower my yoshi, its almost touching the bag, and move the top Givi back to allow comfortable passenger sitting. I believe I've seen these topics before but can't find them now. I will keep searching.

Back