• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Zumo 450/550 vs StreetPilot 2730/2820

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
I've been eyeing GPSs for the bike and I keep coming back to the Zumo or Streetpilot.
Sure there's other options, but those seem to be the most like what I'm looking for.

The StreetPilot has everything I need. Except a battery. I've used Mom's TomTom 130s quite a few times and I've pretty well decided that a battery is mandatory.
The problem is the StreetPilots are about half the price of the Zumo's.

So, somebody talk me into/out of the Zumo's or StreetPilots

I've been using a StreetPilot (one version or another) for years and have never wished for a battery. They come with a power adaptor so you can use them inside (home or hotel) as long as you have electricity. True, you can't put one in your pocket and go hiking with it but I would assume battery life on the larger models (Zumo) probably isn't that great anyway?

I have a power cord permanently wired in on my bike and the GPS unit is easily moved back and forth between car (including rental cars) and bike. It's really good that you can use a bluetooth headset with either of them.

I've often thought I might like to have a Zumo, but mainly just because I am a "latest and newest gadget" sucker. I have no complaints with the StreetPilots whatsoever.

I like having power on the Zumo or Quest just so I can pull it out of the tank bag at lunch, adjust or create a route to ride after we're done eating, and not fuss with it while everyone is gearing up and waiting for me in the sweltering parking lot.

But I've been "spoiled" by having battery power on every GPS I've ever used. :mrgreen:

Becca hit it on the nose. I wanna be able to dink with it while I'm eating or taking a break and not have to be attached to the bike.

It won't be a hiking GPS as to me that requires the ability to be away from AC power for much longer stretchs of time then the 4-6hrs claimed by the Zumo.

But Stook is right on as I too am a latest gadget sucker :giveup:

Back when I was shopping, I was looking at the 276 and the Zumo. By the time I got the maps and mounts for the 276, it was very similar to the Zumo in price. However it wasn't preloaded with maps like the 28xx's are.

I would watch the Zumo 550 prices. The 660 is due to ship later this month and the 450 is discontinued so I suspect the 550 price will drop as it becomes the low end of that model line. Or they will close it out.

I like my Zumo a lot and have not regretted getting it.

Back when I was shopping, I was looking at the 276 and the Zumo. By the time I got the maps and mounts for the 276, it was very similar to the Zumo in price. However it wasn't preloaded with maps like the 28xx's are.

I would watch the Zumo 550 prices. The 660 is due to ship later this month and the 450 is discontinued so I suspect the 550 price will drop as it becomes the low end of that model line. Or they will close it out.

I like my Zumo a lot and have not regretted getting it.
Thats one thing that I checked and it seems the SP would be a little cheaper then the Zumo, but the Zumo includes a whole bunch of stuff along with it. Auto mount, bike mount, etc. Oh, and don't forget stickers!!

hmm, I thought the 660 was already out. Guess I'll have to keep watching for a 550 price drop then :deal:

The 660 is "out", but not shipping yet. Garmin resellers and garmin are taking orders. I hear that folks that have ordered from Garmin (using AMA discount) have gotten emails saying they will ship around the 29th of April.

The 660 is "out", but not shipping yet. Garmin resellers and garmin are taking orders. I hear that folks that have ordered from Garmin (using AMA discount) have gotten emails saying they will ship around the 29th of April.
ah, I get it now.

Hmm, the 660 doesn't have XM on it :scratch: not enough people asking for it I guess.
I know thats not a feature thats attracting me to the 550. Just another "button", which is a good thing considering I'm a gadget freak :trust:

Back