• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adding a PC-8 fuse panel from Eastern Beaver

KenB

Reaction score
I've been communicating with Jim from Eastern Beaver over the last week, reviewing the Bandit's wiring diagram, sending him pictures of the various connectors (tail light, license plate, side stand, etc), and figuring out measurements for custom kits for the Bandit. I think he has it all figured out. I ordered one of his new PC-8 fuse panels this morning, and he is going to send along a relay kit made specifically for the Bandit that will be plug-n-play with the Bandit's tail light.

Here's a picture of the new Power Center 8 (PC-8):
top-open-wired.jpg

Specification and features:
  • 4 threaded insert nuts provide case mounting and fuse panel installation mounting points
  • Comes with an assortment of 8 ATM fuses, one for each output circuit
  • 2 unswitched circuits, 6 switched circuits, 8 ground outputs
  • Takes ATM mini blade fuses for compactness
  • Maximum fuse panel capacity 60 Amps (40A/20A - switched/unswitched)
  • Maximum circuit capacity 20 Amps (15A continuous)
  • Maximum output wire size 12 AWG (3 sqmm)
  • Most hardware including PCB inserts, is stainless steel - input posts are tin plated steel
  • Black satin polycarbonate cover makes unit splash-proof yet allows it to breathe

He has many more plans for the Bandit, if there is interest:

Oh, one other thing, perhaps the most important. There is also the possibility of tapping into the licence plate light for triggering a relay. This would leave the brake/tail connector open for other purposes. The wiring diagram show 2P connectors closeby for signals and licence plate light.

In fact I can see three types of adaptors here:

1 - relay switching on the licence plate light
2 - brake/tail/ground pigtails for auxiliary lighting
3 - dual adaptor for signals for auxiliary signals/alarm connections etc.

I started this project with him because my battery has become a spaghetti mess recently - there is a Stebel horn (with relay), radar detector, TFI box, and GPS hooked up to it. I will keep the horn direct wired to the battery, but the other accessories will be hooked up to the PC-8 -- TFI and radar detector on switched circuits, and GPS on an unswitched circuit. Installation should be straighforward -- plan out the necessary fuses and install them, attach the main battery leads to the PC-8, install the relay, connect the switching lead to the brakelight connector, and wire up the accessories.

I'm going to shoot a bunch of photo's as I work through this installation, for Jim and for anyone here that is interested. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to the bike, and my mod projects are always clean and tight so they look like something that would have come from the factory (just ask GregH and look for the Stebel horn with the level! :) ). Stay tuned!

I've considered doing the same thing as I need to provide power for GPS and iPod and am considering some heated gear for next winter. Jim really does nice work and at reasonable prices.

He makes a kit for the Strom, does it not use the same tail light connector?

I forgot what kit I used on my bandit. But, I went straight to the battery as I use the lead to my GPS to hook up my battery tender also. Also using for my Gorilla alarm system and heated gear plug in. But the relay set up is neat.

Quick update - after lots of emails going back and forth with measurements and pictures, Jim has created a relay kit for the 1250. I placed an order for his new PC-8 and he is throwing in the relay kit (that ties in to the tail light connector) as a favor for helping with him with the setup. I promised him pictures for his web site, and feedback on any problems or suggestions for changes. Don't be surprised to see a custom relay kit (amongst other things) that are customized for the Bandit on his web site soon. I'll post up again after I've done the installation with some pics of the before and after.

Quick update - after lots of emails going back and forth with measurements and pictures, Jim has created a relay kit for the 1250. I placed an order for his new PC-8 and he is throwing in the relay kit (that ties in to the tail light connector) as a favor for helping with him with the setup. I promised him pictures for his web site, and feedback on any problems or suggestions for changes. Don't be surprised to see a custom relay kit (amongst other things) that are customized for the Bandit on his web site soon. I'll post up again after I've done the installation with some pics of the before and after.

Very nice Ken:thumb: Looking forward to seeing your pics. I am definitely ordering one for my bike. Thanks for doing the legwork on this:chug:

The PC-8 and relay kit arrived yesterday. I spent a couple hours in the garage this morning trying to find the best mounting spot for the relay and the PC-8. The PC-8 really is a thing of beauty. Very well constructed, great design, solid fuse holders that hold them very tight. Unfortunately, the relay kit is not quite right. There is very limited space under the Bandit's seat. About the only place to install the PC-8 is in the rear by the tool kit. Unfortunately, the positive wire on the relay isn't long enough to get to the battery from anywhere behind the ECU. And if I try the move the relay closer to the battery, the leads that go from the relay to the PC-8 aren't long enough. I've sent an email to jim to let him know that some small adjustments are needed.

On the bright side, I wired it all up (without mounting anything) and it works great. The tail light connector is perfect and will make this whole setup plug-n-play once the wires are long enough to run from the tool kit area to the battery.

So I can buy a 6 slot fuse block locally along with a relay and setup the wiring. How important is it to have this unit water/weather proof ?

Ken,

Have you had any further luck in getting the Easternbeaver PC-8 installed? I'm also interested in installing a PC-8 on my Bandit and would like to leverage your experience in this matter if possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ken,

Have you had any further luck in getting the Easternbeaver PC-8 installed? I'm also interested in installing a PC-8 on my Bandit and would like to leverage your experience in this matter if possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

From the company:

Ron, yes should hear back in a couple more days if that last Bandit Kit is a fit.

The new relay kit (Take 2 - long battery leads, shorter tail light leads) arrived today and I'm hoping to find some time to install it this weekend.

I've been communicating with Jim from Eastern Beaver over the last week, reviewing the Bandit's wiring diagram, sending him pictures of the various connectors (tail light, license plate, side stand, etc), and figuring out measurements for custom kits for the Bandit. I think he has it all figured out. I ordered one of his new PC-8 fuse panels this morning, and he is going to send along a relay kit made specifically for the Bandit that will be plug-n-play with the Bandit's tail light.

Thanks Ken I like how this looks snd the ease of use it offers. Good find

Last edited by a moderator:
The new relay kit (Take 2 - long battery leads, shorter tail light leads) arrived today and I'm hoping to find some time to install it this weekend.

We're anxiously awaiting the results. I have my heated grips installed and GPS mount and wiring all ready to go. Just need a fuse box :pray:

Well, I can pull my seat off and take a pic of my similar fuse box set up. But all I did was connect the main hot wire and ground straight to the battery. I really had no need for the unit to be switched off with the relay when stopping. And, I never leave anything on the bike at nights that would drain the battery. Also, I hook up my Battery Tender to the two wire connection I use for the GPS when away from the bike for awhile.

So whats the scoop ??? Still waiting for word on this item ???

It's a perfect fit! Everything works great.

But alas, it won't last long. I've just taken delivery of an '09 Wing and will be returning the Bandit to its stock form, selling the mods, and then selling the bike. She's been great, but my love of touring with my wife is stronger than my love for the Bandit.

AccConnects4jpg.jpg

This is the unit I installed on my Bandit. So far, I'm feeding the accessory plug for my headed gear ( BMW Pluglet ), GPS hook up ( two wire ) and Gorilla Alarm system.

AccConnects2jpg.jpg

Which comes out looking like this on the bike. The little red light above the Pluglet being the Gorilla alarm light.

Back