• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Changing the Front Tire

GregH

Reaction score
I'm going to change the front tire of the Bandit (putting on the Avon Storm ST AV55).
In the manual on page 2D-7, Item 5 says to "Hold the front axle with the special tool and tighten the front axle bolt." It looks like the "special tool" I need is a 24mm Allen Wrench.
Is that correct?

I'm going to change the front tire of the Bandit (putting on the Avon Storm ST AV55).
In the manual on page 2D-7, Item 5 says to "Hold the front axle with the special tool and tighten the front axle bolt." It looks like the "special tool" I need is a 24mm Allen Wrench.
Is that correct?

Yes, a 24mm Allen Wrench will work, or you can make your own as PhilS showed in this post, #10 and #11.

If you decide to make your own, I believe 16mm nuts and bolt from Lowes, Home Depot etc. should give you an outside diameter of 24mm.

Thanks, Willie. I had skimmed over that part in Phil's post.
Off to Home Depot to pick up a 16mm nut and bolt. (I'll take the axle with me just to be sure. )

Let's give credit where credit is due...........It was El Bandito who showed me that "special tool". Works great. I used some thread locker on them to keep them in place.

What are you using to prop up the bike when you do this?

The head on a 5/8" bolt is 24mm. I put a 5/8" nut on it and it worked perfectly.
I didn't use thread locker, since it was a tightening operation the direction tightened the nut onto the bolt. I employed a 15/16" box wrench to hold the nut while a friend torqued the axle bolt. (He wanted to handle my Snap-On torque wrench! ) My gratitude goes out to Willie, Phil, and El Bandito.

We used a bike lift with bricks on the edges to put the weight on the frame. I laid rags over the bricks so they would not scratch the frame. My friend rides a Harley and commented that their pipes don't hang so low. I told him that I'm sticking with the Bandit.:sun:

I'm in awe of your skills. Any chance you'd move to Texas? There is a house down the street which is for sale...

I changed tires last weekend, with help from twt'er Mellow.

Trying to bust the front axle loose, I couldn't find the right hardware at my local handyman stores.

I ended up at Cycle Gear and picked up a three-sizes hex tool by Motrax for $20.

1/2 the price of the MotionPro tool.

James

I bought a whole set at Harbor Freight for about $12.00. Their are 8 or 9 sockets, 3/8" & 1/2" drive. I think it started at 5mm and went up to your axle size. I wouldn't use them with an air wrench but they are of decent quality.
The first time I changed my Wee's front tire, I had to grind a vintage VW trans tool down to loosen the axle. Not the best fit to say the least. RH

Has something changed since the 07's? You do NOT need to hold that end.....simply don't loosen the pinch bolts on that side, until you've loosened the bolt on the opposite side. It's not screwed in to the forkleg, just pushes out......AFTER loosening the pinch bolts on the internal socket side.

Slide it back in afterward, make sure the axles is all the way into the left forkleg (left,sitting ON bike) tighten the pinch bolts, reinstall the right side bolt, then pinch that side.

I put on a Michelin Pilot road. I love 'em!! Statically balanced 'em, then went for a quick ride to check my balancing job....pretty smooth at 155 ;o)

Yes you can tighen the axle without holding the axle from turning but you may not be certain every time that the shoulder on the axle is getting pulled up against the wheel spacer properly, and if that happens you will pull the lower leg over causing a bind in the forks.

Having a wrench to fit the left side of the axle also helps remove and install the axle by allowing you to turn the axle while your pulling it out or pushing it in also. I'm going to install a T-handle on the one I made so that I don't need to use a socket and rachet with it so that it will be easier to use.

The manual states to use a wrench to keep the axle from turning while tightening the axle nut and although they don't exactly state the reason why, I would bet it's for the very same reason I just explained. :trust:

Yes you can tighen the axle without holding the axle from turning but you may not be certain every time that the shoulder on the axle is getting pulled up against the wheel spacer properly, and if that happens you will pull the lower leg over causing a bind in the forks.

Having a wrench to fit the left side of the axle also helps remove and install the axle by allowing you to turn the axle while your pulling it out or pushing it in also. I'm going to install a T-handle on the one I made so that I don't need to use a socket and rachet with it so that it will be easier to use.

The manual states to use a wrench to keep the axle from turning while tightening the axle nut and although they don't exactly state the reason why, I would bet it's for the very same reason I just explained. :trust:

ooooookay.....so loosen and retighten the pinch bolts after the bolt is tight.

this ain't rocket science.:mrgreen:

Caution Wrench Haters

Well for the enjoyment of all you wrench lovers out there I added a T-handle to my front axle hex and made it much nicer to use.

Now it is easy to hold and use for twisting the axle when installing it in the lower leg and to hold the axle while tightening the axle nut.

I apoligize if this picture may offend some of you. :rider:

bb301caf39f10335dea530a9516993a40_large.jpg

Sure looks cuter than my ground down nut/bolt combo. ;-). Good job El Bandito. Have you started putting the new machinery to work yet?

Sure looks cuter than my ground down nut/bolt combo. ;-). Good job El Bandito. Have you started putting the new machinery to work yet?

Yes I have, and besides making up a couple of new things for my bike I'm also been busy using the machines to make custom parts for the machines to hold tooling and make them more user friendly. It's the rise of the machines. :rider:

Re: Caution Wrench Haters

I apoligize if this picture may offend some of you. :rider:

bb301caf39f10335dea530a9516993a40_large.jpg

Ah, a crack at ME?:mrgreen:

I've done the bolt nut thing before, for various bikes, still have a few in my toolbox, various sizes.

The main reason I didn't this time, was 'cuz it ISN"T NEEDED!!:lol2:

I figure it will save a few folks the trip to a hardware store.

What you really don't wanna do when changing out any tire is have a large tire iron slip when not expecting it, with your face in the path while reaching for another tire iron and put some serious hurt on your nose. ;-).
Two weeks ago changing out tires on my Bandit. At times STUPID HURTS. ;-)

What you really don't wanna do when changing out any tire is have a large tire iron slip when not expecting it, with your face in the path while reaching for another tire iron and put some serious hurt on your nose. ;-).
Two weeks ago changing out tires on my Bandit. At times STUPID HURTS. ;-)

No pics? :rofl:

Re: Caution Wrench Haters

Ah, a crack at ME?:mrgreen:

I've done the bolt nut thing before, for various bikes, still have a few in my toolbox, various sizes.

The main reason I didn't this time, was 'cuz it ISN"T NEEDED!!:lol2:

I figure it will save a few folks the trip to a hardware store.

What me poke fun at you. :-P:rofl:

Back