• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rt. 66 Trip - Wana join me?

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
EDIT UPDATE:
OK, looking to try this trip again. Last time I started this trip I had to return home because of a family emergency.

I’m thinking of leaving sometime the week of Oct. 5th. Anyone care to join me?

I’m still working on the route and will be able to send you the route and itinerary soon. This is a westbound trip. I plan to begin in Clinton, OK (heading up from Waco) and then head west to Santa Monaca Pier, CA.

I plan to stay as true to the “Old” Rt. 66 as possible. Some of this may in fact turn out to be a dual sport type road as I plan to take many of the Pre-1937 routes that are now nothing but unpaved trails. Note that when I say Dual Sport, I am talking about unpaved routes not dirt-biking.

A good portion of the trip will be camping (about 50%). The other nights I plan to stay in historic Rt. 66 hotels/motels, etc.

Let me know if you are interested in joining me for this or any part of this trip.

I’m about to take a westward bound trip to LA via Rt. 66. Will be leaving form central Texas (Waco area), going to Clinton, OK and from there heading to LA via Rt. 66.

Planning to leave May 12 and figure to take me about 7 days to get there. Anyone want to join me?

To the best of my ability, I plan to try to stay on the old Rt. 66.. Will camp about half the time and stay in some Rt. 66 historic motels (dives) the other half. Be forewarned: I have a camera and I’m not afraid to use it. Meaning that I plan to stop at just about every Rt. 66 tourist trap along the way (that’s why its going to take me a week to get there)

If you’re interested send me a PM with your email address and I’ll send you details of my route plan.

Last edited:
interested yes, impossible for me... yes

you retired guys have all the fun

actually we went to 4 - 10 hour days, so i'm working 45-50 hours a week and stashing the comp time for some big trips, maybe next year

I would love to be able to join you but like Jbay, it's impossible. I would have to think about doing that one day when I am able to do that!

When do you plan on going through Amarillo?

Hi LoneStar

I tried to respond ealier but I was out of town and my attempt to post a reply using my webenabled pda did not seem to work.

I plan to leave home Tue or Wed, head to Foss State Park in OK, then head west the next morning. That would put me in Amarillo Wed or Thurs late afternoon / early eve. I am planning to stay at Big Tex. It would be great to be able to meet up with you if you can. I had originally planned to leave tuesday, but I seem to have come down with a slight cold and I want to wait until I'm sure that has passed before I hit the road. (hard to blow your nose wearing a full face helmet).

Hope you are available to meet up (or ride)

Even when away from a computer, I can do email. So it would probably be best just to email me at:
Robert@TexasPropertyServices.com or feel free to call at (254) 744-4402

I've driven much of that stretch of the mother road years ago in my Jeep before I rode. You should have a great time riding it.

I had a delay and now it looks like I will not be able to leave until the 14th or 15th in case that works with anyone's schedule. Let me know if you wish to join for all or a part.
Robert

How'd it go on this trip?
Did you post a ride report anywhere?

Cheers.

I had started the trip and was actually on my way. Almost to Oklahoma when I received a call from the care center where my father is and was informed that he was dying. Obvously I turned arround and headed to San Antonio. This was not all that unexpected because he was after all 94 and his extended warranty was up. My father passed and the funeral was a few weeks ago but the desire was dampend and now I fear it is too hot. I may try this again in the late Fall.

My condolences for your loss...
I hope my extended warranty keeps me running smoothly into my 90's also..

Good luck with rescheduling your trip.. :zen:

Regards.

Late fall, :ponder: how late? Side trip up The Devils Highway? Camp or hotel? Both?

Don't know about when. Just thinking that it would be best to wait until past the worst heat of the summer.

I was planning a combination camp / motel. Motel for historic Rt. 66 motels (i.e., WigWam, etc), else camp.

Devils Highway is off the Rt. 66 path but doable. Perhaps on the way back. I'm undecided on return route. I was also considering to ship bike back (cost about about $500 and take train home).

I'm open. Let me know your thoughts if you think you might join me.

I just did parts of RT 66 on my way back from San Francisco. I came across some sections in the Mohave that were definately dual sport territory. The pavement was in bad shape. I was the only vehicle on the roadway for quite some time. The elevation got up to about 5500 feet in Arizona and the temps were very comfy. I cut south at Windslow, AZ to ride 180/191. 180/191 turned out to be the best part of the trip with about 6 hours of twisties and wonderful views. The best sections were south of Alpine, AZ. It rivaled anything I've ever done in California or Colorado.

592157666_bqpbE-S.jpg

8920735_s5NQM

UPDATE: Restart of Trip!

OK, looking to try this trip again. Last time I started this trip I had to return home because of a family emergency.

I’m thinking of leaving sometime the week of Oct. 5th. Anyone care to join me?

I’m still working on the route and will be able to send you the route and itinerary soon. This is a westbound trip. I plan to begin in Clinton, OK (heading up from Waco) and then head west to Santa Monaca Pier, CA.

I plan to stay as true to the “Old” Rt. 66 as possible. Some of this may in fact turn out to be a dual sport type road as I plan to take many of the Pre-1937 routes that are now nothing but unpaved trails. Note that when I say Dual Sport, I am talking about unpaved routes not dirt-biking.

A good portion of the trip will be camping (about 50%). The other nights I plan to stay in historic Rt. 66 hotels/motels, etc.

Let me know if you are interested in joining me for this or any part of this trip.

Heart and the time I have , my wallet has me on the short leash. I don't think I can catch enough bugs in my teeth to sustain me.
I just got back from a few days with the wife, this no work no pay bites.

Hey BeemerBob - what route are you riding from wacky Waco to Clinton?

I'm open. Had no special route in mind, was just going to head staight to Clinton, OK to the Rt. 66 museum, spend some time there and then head to Foss State Park to camp for the night.

You think you might want to meet up or join me?

I'm open. Had no special route in mind, was just going to head staight to Clinton, OK to the Rt. 66 museum, spend some time there and then head to Foss State Park to camp for the night.

You think you might want to meet up or join me?

If you take the super slab through the metroplex, I might tag along into Oklahoma.

I'm sure we can work it out. I'll let you know when my plans a more set. You might want to consider riding with me thru to Amarillo and then cut back to DFW area or did this need to be a day trip only?

This will only be a day trip for me.

Itinerary & Route
For those that are interested, I have a detailed itinerary and would be glad to email you a copy if you want it.

For the Route 66 portion, I am trying to keep as true to the Old Rt. 66 as possible. Some of my route will include the rough unpaved pre-1937 roads (not for a low touring bike). Stopping for most every photo op and tourist trap is what doing Route 66 is all about. Santa Monica Pier – hear I come.

I am trying to keep daily miles about 300 miles if possible. Most of the sleeping will be camping; some of the camping will be primitive without resources. I will take 7 days to get there and then begin the trip back.

On the way back I plan the following attractions:
• Pacific Coast Hwy up to Big Sur
• Yosemite National Park
• Death Valley National Park (to include “daylight Pass”)
• Grand Canyon (North Rim)
• Then drop down and do the Devil’s Hwy loop (Old Rt. 666)
• Roswell, NM to see all the ‘Area 51’ related trappings
• Carlsbad Caverns
• Guadeloupe Mountains National Forest
• And all points in between

The entire trip will be about 18 days if I don’t petter out and head home sooner.

Trip is still tentatively scheduled for early October.

Interested????

Back