• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Communicator Headset Question

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
I didn't find this answer because I know it's a silly question...

I have had a Chatterbox system but have since upgraded to Starcom Advance. Good setup!

Do the Chatterbox headsets work with the Starcom? They are both 6 pin mini DIN as far as I can tell from reading through threads and vendors.

"Why not try it" you ask? Well the CB stuff is stored away somewhere and I can't find it. If they will work, then I'll spend the endless hours searching bins and boxes and attic crawl spaces to get them and put them in the kids' helmets for when they are our passengers. If they won't work, I'll just plunk down the change and buy two new SC headsets. The kids are too young for the sound quality to matter, so I just need to know if they will "work" - transmit the sound to and fro.

Are you trying to plug the CB headset into the Starcom cable?

Aside from trying it, I don't have a clue if it'd work or not

Yeah, that's what I want to do - but according to a member of another forum it won't work. The pins on the connectors are the same but whether intentional or not, the wires are configured to different pins for each manufacturer.

I suppose I could hack into the plug with a wiring diagram of the routing but it's not really worth it. I'll just wait and buy the kids some headsets that fit the Starcom.

We're hesitant though - and this question is probably best aimed at Zimm but if anyone else wants to give their personal experience please share: Will the kids just be chatting all day and abuse the communication, try to dance in their seats to the music? We're worried that they will think it's a "cool toy" instead of a means of keeping in touch for important things like restroom breaks, sightseeing, fatigue, etc.

hmm, I suppose if you felt really froggy, you could build an adapter to go between the connectors to map the pins to the correct place. Just if you want to spend the effort.

Ooh, that's an idea - and might be cheap enough.

Any idea if the wires inside the 6-pin MiniDIN are as tiny as the earphone wires? Man, those things are thin!

We're hesitant though - and this question is probably best aimed at Zimm but if anyone else wants to give their personal experience please share: Will the kids AND I just be chatting all day and abuse the communication, try to dance in their seats to the music? We're worried that they will think it's a "cool toy" instead of a means of keeping in touch for important things like restroom breaks, sightseeing, fatigue, etc.

Fixed ;-)

Back