• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #05: Liquid Motion Entry Here

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klinke
Well, here it is ....

Post your single entry for Photo Assignment #05 - Liquid Motion, in this thread. The picture has to have been taken between May 5th and May 18th midnight. Also, please refrain from comment on pictures (yours and others) until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted. Pictures should stand on their own for your interpretation of "Liquid Motion". If you wish a critique/comment, then please state so above or below your entry.

This assignment will close midnight, May 18th, 2009 so have your entry in by then.

Hope you've had fun and good luck!

--Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
My entry:

537442396_5qAs2-L-2.jpg

I can see this is going to be a tough assignment to judge. Now that the contest has closed I'll take a good look at these and announce my choice tomorrow evening. Thanks to all that are playing!

--Mike

Well, I thought it was going to be a tough choice and it is!

Congrats go to ... Tracker!

This really caught my attention. The soft sinuous stream of water arching from the pipe while refracting light from the backgroud works really well for me. The exposure, focus, colors, and composition are great! Well done!

STScott - I like the blue monochromatic bubbles and your presentation with the borders and framing is first rate. What kind of liquid bubbles are we looking at?

BrothaJ - I envy your eye to take a terrific action shot while keeping focus on the delicate lattice pattern of the water jets between the moving kids! I'd like to hear how you set this up and took the shot.

BexarWolf - The champagne flowing from the bottle, the beaded look to the stream as it was spashing into the glass and the bubbles made for an image that had many parts to ponder. It was also a neat touch to add the red beaded bracelet with the gold locket to add more "beaded" interest. I had a little bit of trouble seeing the whole image at first and had to save it to disk to view the whole image at once. Was the slight off vertical axis of the glass intentional? I thought it took away from the image a bit.

M38A1 - This is another fine image! The spouting water across the screen with the blue of the turtle reflected in it's facets as it travels really catches the eye. The other more ghostly flow across the bottom of the image almost looks like it was taken at a different shutter speed than the turtle's spout. How did you take this image?

Well, Tracker, you're up! I'm anxious to see what the next assignment is going to be.

--Mike

Good choice!!! I would have picked Tracker myself.

My photo set up: wine glass, water, blue food coloring and two tablets of alka seltzer placed in a home made lightbox.

Well, I thought it was going to be a tough choice and it is!

Congrats go to ... Tracker!

M38A1
How did you take this image?

Congratulations Tracker. That is a fine shot indeed.

As for the image, nothing special was done other than ensure the flash was going to fire to catch the water droplets in the background as well as try to push through the water stream. However, it sort of washed out the turtle IMO. The turtle was sitting in a concrete 'box' that had a water-wall behind it.

My photo set up: wine glass, water, blue food coloring and two tablets of alka seltzer placed in a home made lightbox.

You sir are a sly one. I never would have figured that out. :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks, guys and gals. Ever shot has its strengths.

Winning brings with it the intimidation and challenge of trying to judge the next one. :eek2:

As soon as I figure out how to do the official stuff, I'll post my theme.

....BexarWolf - The champagne flowing from the bottle, the beaded look to the stream as it was spashing into the glass and the bubbles made for an image that had many parts to ponder. It was also a neat touch to add the red beaded bracelet with the gold locket to add more "beaded" interest. I had a little bit of trouble seeing the whole image at first and had to save it to disk to view the whole image at once. Was the slight off vertical axis of the glass intentional? I thought it took away from the image a bit.

Congrats, Tracker!!:clap:

Had I taken my time, I'd have noticed the shot was off axis and I knew I should have sized it better. I'm still fiddling with my camera settings and learning editing. :doh: I think a different backdrop (a huge piece of white cardboard from the garage was the only thing available at the time) would have made a big difference, also. Oh, yeah......having the glass straight up and down would have helped. :doh:

In a way, I'm glad I didn't win. These subjects are tough to come up with. I'm looking forward to the next one! :clap:

Bexar, the lighting is also kind of harsh. Look at the shadows on the backdrop behind the glass. More natural and less directional light would really help. Neat idea for the photo though.

Yeah, there were numerous things I needed to do to help out that shot. I was in too big a hurry to get the shot taken and entered. That seems to be a pattern for me and my photography attempts. I'm learning to form the shot in my head, set it up, slow down and take my time.

That shot was taken in my kitchen under fluorescent lights. Not the best setup.

For the red contest, the wife and I are co-working on an idea. :trust:

BrothaJ - I envy your eye to take a terrific action shot while keeping focus on the delicate lattice pattern of the water jets between the moving kids! I'd like to hear how you set this up and took the shot.

1. Patience
2. Lots of shots

Back