• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advice Sought--First Overnight Trip

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
My other 1/2 and I will be venturing to the Hill Country this coming weekend, yes Memorial Day weekend. Only time he can get off for 3 day weekend. We're leaving Houston early Saturday morning and have to be back to Houston by 7 PM on Monday.

I've mapped out a route and would appreciate some advice on the feasibility. I don't want to overdo it. I am open to any and all suggestions and advice.

Here's the basic route.

Day 1-Saturday
Houston to San Antonio
SA to Bandera
Bandera to Camp Wood
Twisted Sisters
Camp in Camp Wood

Day 2-Sunday
Camp Wood to Stonehenge II
Stonehenge II to Fredricksburg via Old San Antonio Road
Fredricksburg to Inks Lake SP (via Enchanted Rock)
Camp at Inks Lake SP

Day 3-Monday
Inks Lake to Cedar Park/Austin via 1431
Austin to Bergstrom area via 45/130 (I am assuming these are toll roads)
Bergstrom area to Houston via 71 and I-10

Looks like a good route. Are you camping? Hotels might be at a premimum. Advice? take half the clothes, twice the cash as ATMs might be running out of cash out there in the country. First aid kit, simple one. Tire repair kit to get you back on the road, slow, but back on the road. Cell phone charger! Let your credit card company know you will be using your card a lot and not in your local area. Having your cc refused because it has been used a bunch to buy gas and goodies can be a bit trying. Take a camera. i am sure I will be missing something here but that's a start. Oh yeah, have FUN!

You might want to call ahead to the parks you're planning on camping in and make sure they'll have spots available. Reservations might be a good idea.

Other than that, get gas when you can. Camp Wood has a couple of stations, but there's not much to be found in the surrounding areas.

Have fun.

trey

if you see a red spyder and a HD sportster that will be DAD and I. :rider:

have a great trip!!!!

-stacie

Got Garmin? If so PM me your email address and I'll shoot you some routes.

Back