• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dimmer switch assy

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
Well heck! My dimmer switch rocker broke in half coming back from Galveston this afternoon. I was stuck in the high position and I kinda sorta pressed pretty hard with my left thumb and it popped in half with the top half exiting the assy to the great unknown behind me. I still have the rear part where you thumb pushed to engage Hi Beam and I can get it back to Lo Beam but it's open to the elements of Rain , etc now.
I check the cost of a new one from Bike Bandit and that's 106.13 not counting AMA discount and shipping.
Guess I'll just tape it for the time being. ;-(.

As I recall , back in the day, a man could just put some time in and find a switch at the salvage yard, maybe $5.
Wow a C note for a switch! Must be a mighty special dohickey!

That's an outrageous price for about $6 in parts...unless it includes a new set of handlebars to go with it.

That's an outrageous price for about $6 in parts...unless it includes a new set of handlebars to go with it.

New set of handlebars - $20.................new total value $26. Something still wrong!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the ebay switch. I just bought it.
For a comparison, Once on a '97 R11RA BMW, I developed a leak on the front master cylinder after changing brake fluid. Pulling the lever to where it had never been before and damaging the seal. No problem I thought, I'll just call Hebert's in Baton Rouge ( my dealer ) and get a kit mailed to me. In talking with Mr. Hebert, he says, " Andy, I'm sorry but no kit is available for BMW's, you have to get the whole cylinder assembly." WOW! I ask him how much that was gonna cost? 215 bucks before taxes. WOW!. He did help a bit in that the unit cost me 215 mailed to me. Leon was a great person to do business with and if he was still running the place I probably would still be riding BMW's.
Later, I read where this dude in England had sourced thru parts and developed a kit for this same thing. I email him for a kit as I still had the bad cyl assy. He said they could not sell to the USA and Canada due to Product Libility Laws. Our sue happy society here really sucks. I did finally get a kit through an exchange student we knew in Egypt and her hubby at the time and fixed the bad one and later sold it.

Well, thanks to Thunderbolt guiding me to the ebay switch, I got it for about 65 or so shipped to me. Installed it yesterday evening when I got home from a short ride and saw the box had arrived. Much easier job than I anticipated. 2 tie wraps cut off, 1 reuseable one released and was able to reach the connection at the right front of the fuel tank by turning the handlebars all the way to the left. Smeared everything with Dielectric Grease, pluged all in, unscrewed unit to slip over handlebars and a broken piece fell out. ;-(. Found it to be the spacer with the little knob to locating on the handlebar. Took the one off my other unit. Sprayed everything with 2-26 Electrical spray, exercised all the switches and put it together. Started up bike and tested everything. A - Okay. Ya-hoo! Put tie wraps back in place. Good to go. Ta Daaaaaaa ha ha ha .

Only bad thing was the need for more light in my garage as I was too lazy to roll the bike into my next door shop. uhhhhhhhhh working on that now gathering parts to play electrician.

Back