• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #06: Unaltered RED

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Please read and adhere to the following.

This challenge has a special restriction. Rule #8 is suspended for this contest.

The challenge is to photographically capture RED, whatever RED means to you. Also, for this contest, NO cropping or post-shot processing is allowed, other than to size the photo to display properly. So, a big part of this challenge is to frame the shot properly when shooting; get the most out of the aperture, speed, ISO, settings, etc. as best you can to get your photo to shout RED!

Since this is the non-entry thread, you may post "post-processed" pics for critique. However, please note if your picture is "unaltered" or "post-processed"

Let's see some RED!

Last edited by a moderator:
An odd assortment....
all unaltered

AGDuck-Ente.jpg

ADTulips.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

What? No 'example' pictures to set the tone? :lol2:

From archives, no PP on any of them.

Steak, its what's for dinner:
09Mom_72027_sm.jpg

Christmas, Austin style:
SantaTree001_sm.jpg

Here's lookin' at you, kid:
09Lobster076.jpg

OK, I was too slow. Besides, ya'lls examples are better.

Here's a couple of interpretations (and critique's) of RED

It would have been better to position my lovely subject so that the distractions of the house and garden wouldn't take away from the focus. Yes, I could post-process crop, but that's giving away pixels. Bright, cloudy days make for nice, soft shadows. A little over-exposed (metering, guys, metering) on her skin.

DSCF0028.JPG

Honestly, this one may have been adjusted for brightness, contrast. I don't remember. Again, a little better framing would eliminate the distraction of the glass of tea.
DSCF0004.JPG

Last edited:
oh, boy. With a holiday weekend coming up, I'm going to have my work cut out for me, I can tell.

Mmmmmm....... mudbugs seem to be popular for RED

No PP, could have framed to eliminate the top right red tray, dark top left.
09Dad_84077.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

It is certainly red.

Not much else in my archives screams RED. I will be looking for red on the weekend trip.

Hmmmm.... could beeee! Back in the glory days when I raced flat track my number was 29. So it goes on any bike I have that gets a number.

Only cropped top and bottom (DQ) but unretouched color. Just a little irony from someone who's not all that big on red. :doh:

rightcolor.jpg

Took this yesterday:

red_washed_090519_DSCN0674.jpg

I really, really, really wish I hadn't sold this...

firstbikeDSCN0308.jpg

bikes4web01.jpg

Editing includes cropping, histogram manipulation, unsharp masking, and color replacement.

Only cropped top and bottom (DQ) but unretouched color. Just a little irony from someone who's not all that big on red. :doh:

rightcolor.jpg

LOL, that could be one of those photos for the kid's magazines, "Find 18 things that are RED in this picture." :lol2:

Being a responsible parent kind sucks some days. I'm sitting here at the computer wasting a perfectly good afternoon becuase I just had to tell Jamy to clean up her play room. Well, since she didn't want to go fishing...

But I digress, so what do I do in the mean time?

RedDogonRedGrillandRedBag.jpg

Title: Red Dog on Red Grill in front of Red Bag

It took a while to line up this one. This particular can had to be carefully "emptied". ;-) Then there were some "camera shake" issues. :trust: :party:

Brotha-J, I'm really liking that shot. The red, black and white contrast is awesome with the backdrop too. Maybe wipe the red grill top off to get rid of the dust to make it as bright as the other reds? That is, if you can hold a rag to do it after drinking that!

Ready for prom.

538169866_rWdT5-L.jpg

Shot this past weekend. It is very lightly post-processed (I shot it in RAW, so I had to do some processing) and cropped.

Last edited:
Brotha-J, I'm really liking that shot. The red, black and white contrast is awesome with the backdrop too. Maybe wipe the red grill top off to get rid of the dust to make it as bright as the other reds? That is, if you can hold a rag to do it after drinking that!

That's a good idea! Alas, though, my "prop" can is in the garbage.

But, for the sake of ART, I'm willing to purchase some more. ;-)

I must have sensed this challenge was coming because I shot this pic a couple of years back. Totally un-cropped and un-edited:

motoshowbrookemarch07010.jpg

Crappy equipment and an overcast day make the reds not pop as much as they should, though...

I submit my avatar pix, RED Bandit, my RED coat, REDwood fence in background

A morning sky in Truth Or Consequences.

117_1793.jpg

I love the reds of nature.

113_1342_800.jpg

Back