• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston to Dallas Non-45 Route

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
We are heading to Dallas (SMU area) tomorrow morning to spend the weekend with our friends and their 7 yr old son (we are the surrogate uncle's). I would prefer not to take I-45 as much as possible. But we also want to make it in a reasonable amount of time. You see there is a 7 yr old waiting for us to make sour candy, go swimming, go bowling, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions on a route that would take about the same amount of time as going up I-45? And is riding in Dallas any different than Houston?

And yes I have looked at the mapco map and other places.

Thanks for any suggestions.

When we head up to the dallas area to see family, we back road it up to 290, and then Hwy 6 through College Station to Waco and then I-35 North.
We usually take I-35W at the split, but if you're going to the SMU area you'd take I-35E.

We live out in Katy so this is the fastest way for us.

My spouse's family lives in the katy-ish area. We use 290 to Hwy6. Then take 14 which dumps you onto I-45 just south of Corsicanna. It doesn't completely keep you off the interstate, but is a nicer ride. From the northwest part of Houston it is equal time vs. I-45.

If you do take I-45, watch the speed limit north of Corsicanna. It drops from 70 to 65, then 60. Enforcement is high up to the Dallas city limits. Several of the smaller towns are speed traps.

Dallas traffic generally seems a bit more mellow than Houston. Fewer aggressive drivers, and the freeways are fewer lanes and not so much just a big mix-master. If you can ride Houston, Dallas should not present a problem.

Interesting to see differing perspectives on question of Houston vs Dallas traffic: After a long time in Houston and three years in Dallas (as well as a couple of years in DFW about 20 years ago) I see Dallas traffic as perhaps more predictable-- but I also see Dallas traffic as travelling a LOT faster than it does in Houston (with or without traffic jams)... I've always said that the secret in Dallas (note predictability mentioned earlier) is to get behind a pickup and just draft-- at least in a cage. ;-)

I find 45 (once you get north of Huntsville) quite the pleasing ride all be it a bit faster pace than I like to ride.

Between 85-90 indicated and I was getting passed and much as I was passing...

On the other hand, 35 between DFW and SA on the weekends is constant battle to keep the angel of death off your tail...

Back