• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Range of the Tiger vs Bandit

LouBob

Reaction score
Narrowed the new bike choice down to 2 (test rides pending). The only thing I can not seem to find is the range you can go on a tank for each. I would base it on mpg and tank capacities, but all of the mpg's I have seen are all over the place so it makes it hard to get something consistent. I have looked and cant seem to find any good place to see the range of the bikes per tank. Does anyone know of a better place to look for that info?

I honestly could care less about mpg, thats not why I have a bike, but I do plan on doing some traveling so range might factor into the decision (heck, any little difference to sway me might help at this point). Hope to get some test rides soon.

I use mid grade in my Tiger and on this last trip 3400 miles I was getting ~45-48 mpg consistently.

The tank, I believe, is 5.2 gallons so if you stop for gas after 4-4.5 gallons you are talking a range of 180-210 miles per tank still leaving you a safety margin of .7-1.2 gallons which would be another 35-55 miles before run dry.

Yeah, I evidently hit the right combination of words on tiger1050 and found the answer I was looking for. (average around 200 per tank depending on type of riding)

Still trying to find a range for the bandit. Slowly working my way through the mega thread. Looks like it is going to wind up being somewhere around 180-190 or so.

Thanks for the REAL quick reply.

Bandit is the same, give or take. 200 mi is easy to get, I've waited until 240+ miles sometimes. Out on the open road, just cruising, the Bandit will reliably get 50 MPG on non-ethanol gas, I still get 46+ MPG on the ethanol junk here in TX.

Now, commuting around town, or blasting through the twisties will get you less MPG, so less range, but you have to really be flogging it to get less than 42 MPG (at least I do), and that still gives you 200 miles, though 180-190 would probably be safer.

I think the Tiger and Bandit get about the same mileage, so the nod goes to the Tiger for the extra .2 gallons it'll carry... not exactly a deciding factor. Neither have what I would consider 'limited' range.

trey

I just got back form a 3000 mile trip on the Bandit. My best MPG that I figured out was 48mpg, the worst I got was 41 mpg (interstate @ 75mph+ with a 20 mph head wind). I would stop when the reserve light began to flash and the tank would take 3.5 gallons to refill. The farthest I went took a refill of 3.9 gallons. Ifigure an average of about 46mpg, so 180-190 miles to refill and still have more than 1 gallon as a reserve.

My Sprint will get upwards of 52mpg, the 955 motor tends to get better MPG than the 1050.

Hey... welcome back, Mark.... did the tires work for ya???

BTW... My 2nd gen Bandit's getting consistant 45 mpg - 170 to 190 miles before hitting reserve.

Thanks everyone, granted they are basically the same there too....gee, makes it easy doesnt it. Well, guess its time to get a few to test ride...(although I hear they are decently similar in that department as well)

I just got back form a 3000 mile trip on the Bandit. My best MPG that I figured out was 48mpg, the worst I got was 41 mpg (interstate @ 75mph+ with a 20 mph head wind).

Is the Bandit stock?

trey

Well, its a moot point now, I took a tect ride on the Tiger......still smilling. The bike just fit, it was like I was riding it all my life, was as smooth as glass. The first thing I noticed on the test was when I looked down at the top of the entrance ramp and thought "OH **** I am going 90" . So, moving some monies around this weekend, clearing up a bit of financing and probably ordering a 2009 ABS model next week. (they didnt have the color I wanted in stock, and I cant afford the 2010 SE, which is 1500 more for just a different color basically).

Hey... welcome back, Mark.... did the tires work for ya???.

:thumb:

We got onto a several mile stretch of open downhill sweepers after we left Devil's Tower in Wyoming. No LEO's and the road was practically deserted, and you could see all the way down to the straight part. It was the first set of DRY curvy roads we'd had. So we took advantage of the opportunity and took off like...Bandits :twisted: The PR2's were great, a definite upgrade on the Roads. I got to see triple digits on the digital speedo on that road, so now I know it goes that high :mrgreen:

Well, its a moot point now, I took a tect ride on the Tiger......still smilling. The bike just fit, it was like I was riding it all my life, was as smooth as glass. The first thing I noticed on the test was when I looked down at the top of the entrance ramp and thought "OH **** I am going 90" . So, moving some monies around this weekend, clearing up a bit of financing and probably ordering a 2009 ABS model next week. (they didnt have the color I wanted in stock, and I cant afford the 2010 SE, which is 1500 more for just a different color basically).

Sweet, let us know when you get it! :rider:

Back