• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Natchez Trace

Janet

Reaction score
First Name
Janet
I am headed off to Tennessee next week and thought I would head down to Natchez and ride the Trace to Nashville.
Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone with inside information?

:tab If you have time, check out some of the old houses in Natchez. There is one in particular that is pretty cool. It is shaped like an octagon. Lots of cool architecture there. As for the Trace itself, it is a good cruiser road. There are no twisties, it is just wide open curves with gentle elevation changes running through some woods and farmland. I would avoid speeding, which is tough given the 45mph limit (or 50? I can't recall...). Either way, it is pretty heavily patrolled and is a Fed ticket. Watch out for deer and turkeys!

:tab I've only done the stretch between Natchez and Jackson. The part North of Jackson was closed when I went through there and I don't know if it is open. What part of Tennessee are you visiting?

Thanks Scott. We wil be in the Sweetwater (east Tenn.) for a week just goofing off.

Scott, do you remember why the road was closed?

:tab No. They just had the barricades up and forced everyone off at Jackson. By that point though, I was ready to get off as I needed to make better time than running at 45 mph would allow. This was also back in 02 I think, so it has been a while and is likely open now.

:tab I think the roads are more fun (twistier) though as you get close to the North side of I-20 and around I-59 (Northern Alabama).

:tab If you have time, check out some of the old houses in Natchez. There is one in particular that is pretty cool. It is shaped like an octagon. Lots of cool architecture there.

The Longwood House?

2113873704_cc2a56c939.jpg

Watch your speed on the Trace. It's only about 50 mph if I remember correctly. The Park Rangers all have radar.

Very pretty! I was on it on a rainy Monday afternoon and it was like a slice of green heaven - I think I was under the speed limit most of the way just because I wasn't paying attention.

Does anyone see any reason I wouldn't be able to be in Nashville on Saturday evening if I left out of Natchez Thursday morning?

The Longwood House?

2113873704_cc2a56c939.jpg

That's it. It was never completed because of the Civil War. However, it is still very cool. We stopped in and checked it out, took about two hours total. Then we headed up the Trace to Jackson.

I was going to head for Natchez and ride the Trace starting Tuesday but a client called this afternoon needing some work done right away. If I work through the weekend, I might get away on Thursday.

I left Natchez at 7 AM & arrived in Nashville the same day at 7 PM with a couple of stops in between. That gives you two full days, you should be ok.

That reminds me - even the mile markers along the way are cute! Little wooden posts in the ground with painted numbers.

Really just take your time riding through, introspection, stopping for pictures, heck - pack a lunch and make a picnic while you're there! :sun:

If you're a foody the Loveless cafe is just outside Nashville and w/in sight of the Trace. Famous for their biscuits (don't know why) and featured on the Food Network many times. The wife and I stopped there just because it is SO famous. Took some pics, ate a biscuit and left the blackberry cobbler on the table.

I had no idea you could mess up dewberry cobbler. :giveup:

We did part of the Trace a few years back. It was beautiful. Unfortunately for us it was raining and foggy most of the time but it was still so worth it. We were pretty much the only one on it. I plan to do it again and stop along the way and see all the cool buildings. Have fun!

I did the Trace about 6 Tears ago and its awesome, but after a while it can get boreing due to the fact the speed limit is so slow, and everything starts looking the same! Almost puts you to sleep. Slay the Dragon in Cherokee Tenn. if you can, Its like 180 switchbacks in 11 miles!! Its really cool.

Thanks. I figure if I start having too much trouble keeping things reigned in I can always get off the Trace and get in the wind. I would really like to do the entire thing though. We will see. Thanks for the pointers.

Janet, I just finished the trace on Wednesday. Started on the north end Tuesday about 1pm and made it to Tuscumbia, AL for the evening. Then finished up Wedneday about 4pm. Yes the rangers have radar but I never saw any of those guys. did see on Tennessee Trooper but none in Alabama or Mississippi. I was warned about the huge numbers of deer but saw none. Wild turkeys on the other hand.....lots of those guys and gals. Lots to see and do. Make sure you stop and pick up the route map at the entrance sign. There is NO welcome center at etiher end but in the middle in Jackson and in Tupelo...go figure. No gas on the trace at all. You have to get off. Some stations are very close (100 meters clsoe) and others are about a mile off. Your GPS will be very helpful in that regard. When I needed gas, I followed the signs to the towns that had a hospital. Gas stations close to hospitals work out well. Take your time and see the sights. 440 miles and two days will make that easy.

Thanks a bunch Jeff. That helps a lot. I was thinking that I may leave here Wednesday then start north out of Natchez Thursday, but now I may leave here Thursday and start north Friday. I need to be in Nashville Saturday evening to meet some folks Sunday morning to head on to Sweetwater.
Is the Friday morning to Saturday evening time line easily doable?

One of my favorite parts of the Trace is the Old Trace Drive.
In the lower section of the Tennessee part, Old Trace Drive is a short, one lane, 2+ miles stretch of the original Trace that kind of parrallels the new Trace. It's one-way so you don't have opposing traffic to bother with, and it still twists and squeezes through the trees instead of sweeping through a park the way the new Trace does.
It's paved, so not to worry about weather related bad dirt road stuff.
Stop somewhere about midway, breathe the air and imagine hauling horses, carts and wagons through the trees the way "they used to do it". Good Fun!

http://www.natcheztracetravel.com/n...enwald-summertown-tn/109-old-trace-drive.html

Back