• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Can anyone recommend a good tail pack

Reaction score
I always like to carry enough "stuff" to make it inconvenient (too much for under the seat and not enough to justify anything permanent), but not enough to justify using the soft luggage all the time. I don't want a top box and I don't like tank bags so I was looking for something small that I could throw on the back of the bike that was big enough for some tools, small air compressor, plug kit, and other assorted necessities. I've heard enough stories about tail packs either falling off or getting caught between the back wheel and the fender to make me paranoid about them. Does anyone use one that they like enough to recommend?

Bill

I can't give a good recommendation, but I can say I was disappointed with my Tourmaster tail bag. The bungees on the bottom are not attached to the bag, they just run through instead. this allows the bag to slide around on the seat if the weight inside shifts. If that were to get caught in the wheel, look out! :shock: Since I haul around heavy engineering textbooks on a daily basis, this wasn't acceptable, so now I have a Givi Monorack and E460 topcase. I realize this is probably more involved than what you're looking for, but it works for me. In retrospect, if the bungee cords were rigidly attached to the bottom of the TM tail bag, it might not be as prone to slide. When I do need the extra luggage capacity, I still use the bag, I just hold it to the bike with a bungee net (spiderweb looking thing). It's not going anywhere with that. :wink:

Good luck and let us know if you find something that works.

I, too was disappointed with the Tour Master. The bungees just aren't up to the job of holding the bag securely. I was constantly having to reach back and reposition it.

If I were in the market for another tail bag I'd strongly consider the Seat Sak by Luaggage Locker. It uses straps (not bungees) which cinch around and under the back seat to secure the bag. There's no way it's going to slide around or come off under normal use. Looks like a quality piece.

Here's the link:

http://www.luggagelocker.com/

Steve

RKA makes a really nice one. I know of a few people up in Dallas that have them. It's expandable and will easily hold a 12 pack of you favorite libation :chug:

On my Bandit I use a JanSport backpack from Wal-Mart.

I unbuckle the shoulder straps and wrap both around my grab handles several times until the bag sits snug and won't move around. Then snap the buckles back in.

Works great. Hard-to/Not-worth stealing.

I second the recommendation on the RKA tail bag. It's fastening system consists of rubber coated "hook thingies" that curl under your seat pan so no scuff marks on the paint. It also has a shoulder strap for off the bike work.

I've had loads of experience with RKA stuff on various bikes and can't say enough about the quality of the product and the customer service offered by the owners. Check out their website and you'll see that they are bikers like us. They make their stuff right here in the good ole USA too!

I had a fastbag which was actually pretty nice. If you carry a lot of stuff in and out of it then it would be a pain. Otherwise it looks good and carrys a good range of items. www.fastbag.com I believe.
Since then I got a give top rack so my wife could have a backrest and that has been very handy. Looks are definitely not as good, but functionality is better. Plus security is top.
Many people swear by Venture USA. They make a neat tailpack setup and it looks real flexible. If you want a removable soft bag they are supposed to be the best.

Lots of good suggestions here!! I was just going to go the backpack route (the way John suggested), but I think that I'm going to sell my cortech tri-bag setup and break down and actually make a decision about which way to go.

Bill

:tab Do you have the Triumph saddle bags for the ST? They are pricey if you don't already have them. I believe GIVI makes a topcase rack for the ST and I love their bags. I seldom ride anymore with at least a topcase. I am not wild about the backpack idea because of the heat issue of having that thing sitting on my back and preventing any air from getting back there! My tank bag is a dedicated camera, GPS, gizmo bag. I used to use the cortech bags but never liked their nasty weather performance :-|

For what it's worth - you can get some nylon ballistic material, thread, zippers, straps, REI strap clips and sew one up to your own specifications.
Here's what mine looks like:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res6v38h/VFRbag.jpg
Total cost was about $10, not counting the extra fabric & parts left over. Oh yeah, plus about 20 hours of work!
If anyone is interested, I'll make them one... for about $400.00.
John

Make my own bag......not in my wildest dreams!!! I'm pretty much limited to sewing back on buttons or putting masking tape on a torn hem until I can get back to the wife!!

I don't ride enough to justify the cost of hard bags. A LONG ride to me is 6-8 hours. Between work and family committments, I just can't get away longer than that and to do that, I usually have to leave the house by 6:00 a.m. so that I'm back by early afternoon (or take a day off from work). I'm still trying to figure out a way to sneak in a ride during the week, but haven't figured that one out yet.

From what I've seen, I kind of like the RKA bag. I like that fact that it has extra D rings so that I can provide some additional securing (to get past my paranoia that it will roll under the seat and catch in the wheel).

Bill

This site produces some excellent quality stuff.
http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/main.html

I bought the Tour Pak and you can put the kitchen sink in it. If I could do it over I probably would have bought the Tour Pak Jr. Made with a strap system that I couldn't make work on my Z1000 so just created my own. It's waterproof and fits on any bike I've used it on.

Paul B

The seat packs are nice. They look very reasonably priced as well. I've been trying various means of bungees and clips to hold a backpack down instead of investing any more money for now, but it's not working as well as I'd like. I was thinking of trying a smaller backpack, but the seat back jr seems like it would work well for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tip

Bill

Back