• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone run 287 to OK or Colorado this year?

Merlyn

Reaction score
I am coming home for a (short) visit next month, and I am planning on running 287 from Denver to Bryan.

Last I heard, lots of 287 was torn up and traffic was bad during the day- but that was a year or so ago. Anyone run it recently and have a road condition report they'd be willing to share?

Merlyn

We were up that way at the end of March and I don't remember it being bad. There were a couple of rough areas at intersections but nothing major considering the ice was still melting.

Me and a friend Chris took a trip to New Mexico/ Colorado, in Spet. 2008, and went up 287 we got off in the northern part of the panhandle. The road was Ft. Worth to the panhandle was OK. just long strait and boring.

Merlyn,
We came in from CO on 87 (Not 287, except from Dumas south) last week and found the road in good condition. If 287 is in bad shape, you might consider that route.

Just ran 287 back from Amarillo last sunday to Fort Worth no problems.

Just rode the bike from Dallas to Amarillo and back about a month ago with no issues. If you're coming/going between Amarillo and Denver, a much more interesting (and quicker) route is to take I-25 down to Raton, NM, pick up 87 east to Dalhart, TX, pick up 385 south to Boys Ranch, and from there take FM 1061 (Tascosa Rd.) into Amarillo. This is a local knowledge scenic shortcut that native Amarilloans use. 287 north from Amarillo is boring, boring, boring. Tascosa Rd. takes in a little "old west" type scenery up past Boys Ranch and the Canadian River. At least it's something to look at. Coming from Raton to Clayton, NM, you'll also pass Mt. Capulin, an extinct volcano. Beware of that stretch of road, though. Gas up, because it's like 90 miles between stations at one point. Anyway, have fun.

take FM 1061 (Tascosa Rd.)

:thumb: We haven't been that way (NM, Co) in a long time but it was always refreshing to go that way.

From the south end, take Soncy Rd (off I40 near the Mall) north and connect with 1061 a few miles up.

Back