• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Summer Boots?

leekellerking

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
King
There is a topic elsewhere asking about seriously waterproof boots, but what about COOL boots? (And I mean cool in the lack of heat meaning, not in the lack of dorkiness meaning, guys)

I am sweating like crazy in my waterproof boots. What is out there -- motorcycle specific -- that is both cool and won't wreck my pocketbook?

Thanks,

Lee

I have the sidi boots that are vented,, can't say they are easy on the pocket book, I can say that newenough.com has them on sale, last I checked it was about 325. instead of 450ish that I paid for mine.. The vents work great for me! Check them out, or check ebay for them, may find em for a little less :ponder: and all you do is close the vents during colder days!!

I've seen these boots praised by a few folks on bike forums - $125.

Also reviewed on WebBikeWorld.

They also rate this boot, $129. It's at least more of a boot than the first one, which is too low-cut for me.

The Setup Pegaso is exactly what I'm looking for -- but it has been discontinued and it does not appear that Setup has a US distributor any more.

I might go with the Icon Tarmac, but they seem short for my taste.

Lee

I think I've just gotten used to not getting any air to my feet and wearing the right socks. In the hottest part of the summer my feet feel a little warm at times but it's never all that noticeable until I take the boots off at the end of the day and my feet feel cool.

Lots of positive feedback on the Icon Tarmacs so far. Definitely meet the ventillation for a reasonable price requirement. Skews to the street/casual/lower height segment, though. Also take a look at the RevIt Air Blend and Sidi Blade for shorter height vented boots. For taller height models, there is the Sidi Strada Air that is priced quite a bit lower than many of the other Sidis, and the Alpinestars SMX-5 that comes in a vented version. Handful of others, too, depending on budget and whether a couple of slits equal true ventillation.

The bigger question is.....what motorcycle boots can work for people like me with a high instep and wide feet? So far I've not found anything that works in a strict motorcycle boot.

Find something for the wide feet, then put inserts in them to accomodate the arch. I almost always have inserts in my boots to make them more comfortable without spending $$$ on the boots themselves.

I'm leaning towards the Tarmac. I need to find a local vendor and try them on, I guess. If the price is not too far out of line, I'll buy locally.

Lee

Lots of positive feedback on the Icon Tarmacs so far. Definitely meet the ventillation for a reasonable price requirement. Skews to the street/casual/lower height segment, though. Also take a look at the RevIt Air Blend and Sidi Blade for shorter height vented boots. For taller height models, there is the Sidi Strada Air that is priced quite a bit lower than many of the other Sidis, and the Alpinestars SMX-5 that comes in a vented version. Handful of others, too, depending on budget and whether a couple of slits equal true ventillation.

I think I've just gotten used to not getting any air to my feet and wearing the right socks. In the hottest part of the summer my feet feel a little warm at times but it's never all that noticeable until I take the boots off at the end of the day and my feet feel cool.

What kind of socks would THAT be?

What kind of socks would THAT be?

For commuting I wear the calf-length ones that aren't mine. ;-)
They say Magellan across the the toes (I just took my boot off at my desk to look at my foot!) and feel kinda thick, but I don't know what they are made of. I also like the (even thicker) grey and black ones with ribbing above the ankle. I do know I sometimes have a sensitivity to wool so I don't think these are a wool blend. I guess I should ask him where he got them, huh? :lol2:

I splurged a few years back on a pair of UA football socks that come up to the knee. I wanted them for dirt riding to keep the boots from rubbing with OTB pants, but I found they were so good in hot weather that I wear them for any full or half-day rides now. I think I'm up to three pairs now.

Get some good quality summer hiking socks, that is probably what Squeaky ('s friend) has.

I am all about the Sidi, but the price is way outta the park. I have had a pair of Sidi mountain bike shoes for years and they are the most comfy I have ever had, though they did drain my bank account of a few more duckies than I had set out to spend.

Since it's warmed up, I've been wearing TCX AirTech XCR Touring Boots, and Touring Summer Socks by Alpinestars. My feet stay dry & comfortable, even in 100+ temps.

Back