• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Melt Your Face Off Uninteresting Tour

JasonJ

Reaction score
So today i got up early, did the chores and was left with nothing to do for the afternoon. its around 11,000 degrees outside but i am armed with my trusty $19.99 immitation camelbak from walmart and figure what the heck, its a good time for a ride.

a little while ago when i first got my bike Richard and CBAT came up with a fun loop to ride around elgin and bastrop and i end up there most weekends usually.

Old Sayers Rd starts in elgin and is a mix of tar, busted up tar, dirt and sand. its not too exciting and doesnt last that long, but it leads into Sayers Rd. Its not even remotely difficult but the countryside is very scenic and its makes for a nice relaxing ride, with just enough bends to provide grin inducing rear wheel slides when powering around corners..

starts out like this..

1.jpg

and turns into some of this...

2.jpg

Sayers Rd comes out in Bastrop where i make my way over to Gotier Trace Rd, which is pretty fun, dirt/sand/rocks and sometimes some water (not today though).

here's the start of Gotier Trace..

3gotier.jpg

Now to get here, i usually have to pay $2 to drive through the state park, but a little ways down the road there is a right turn, having never gone down there to see whats there i try it out today, here's the road after the turn..

4harmon.jpg

i followed it and it comes out eventually at 95, not too far past the entrance to the park. looks like ive just saved the princely sum of 2 bucks on future visits, i can scoot up this road and on to gotier (exciting stuff right?! :yawn:).

Further along i stopped at a in-the-middle-of-nowhere cemetery

6cemetery.jpg

with associated blurb

7sign.jpg

i found it pretty interesting actually and went in to look at the graves, some pics..

8soldier.jpg

man it would be tough to be a parent back in the day, look at the dates..

9baby.jpg

the steed..

10.jpg

at the cemetery there is a crossroads, now this area has shown me one thing on more than one occassion, and that is that my sense of direction is pretty horrible, never, ever, let me lead you somewhere.

11cross.jpg

Gotier Trace is the road with the stop signs. i wasnt sure what the other road was, despite being in this area probably 6 times so far. i thought the road was potato rd, having never turned right, i....turned right. the dirt runs out after about 3 miles. so i turned around and went the other way, still thinking i am on potato rd.

my first visit to this area i remember thinking i was on Antioch Rd once and when the road ended it said Old Potato Rd. i'd never even heard of potato rd and had a complete "what the heck" moment. so here i am going down what i thought was the same road and i come to another crossroad. there wasnt a crossroad there last time (magic crossroads :eek2:).

so now i am not sure where i am, other than still knowing how to get back to the cemetery if need be. i turn right at the crossroad on to Unknown Rd. its much like the other roads in the area, and when it finally ended in a T i look up and what do i see....

12potato.jpg

:giveup:

so now i have been to both ends of old potato rd and been completely surprised each time. :rofl:

i turned right, with the thinking that whatever road i was on would HAVE to hit gotier trace. i'm trundling along happily and go past a large wood pile with a "free firewood" sign on it. i think to myself, "hey, free firewood, just like that pile i always go past on Gotier Trace". exactly like that pile on Gotier Trace :doh: . i was on the road i was looking for...i rock!

i goofed around for a bit longer and headed back, up sayers rd again where i came across the rarely seen, almost mythical 6 legged 2 headed cow. one head checked me out while the other head scouted around...

14cow.jpg

got back home and cracked open a cold beer. it was a super hot, but fun, few hours. just thought i'd share.. :rider:

Great ride report & something you don't see every day. I need a lighter ride to hit these gems.

Good fun! You can catch the north end of Potato Rd off of 290 and run it all the way south to Gottier Trace. Then take it into the park. Another way to get around the troll booth. :trust:

Chow, the blacked out KLR is looking good. How do you like that Acerbis (?) front fender?

We've gotta hook up and ride someday.

J

Great ride report & something you don't see every day. I need a lighter ride to hit these gems.

Yep, me too. Every time I read a report like this, I get one step closer to buying a KLR.

Ya don't often hear the word "lighter" and "KLR" in the same post... :lol2: :giveup:

Nice ride report. Also nice to see another person out discovering how fun it is not having a GPS to perfectly guide you along. Sometimes getting lost is part of exploring and half the fun. Glad to see you had a blast.

On another note...I looked at your bike and thought to myself "Dang, that is a sweet bike, wonder what it is!?" Imagine my disappointment when I get to your sig and find out it's not some sweet Euro ADV bike, but another boring old KLR. :mrgreen: Just kidding, way to go on making that bike into a complete drool fest.

Chow, the blacked out KLR is looking good. How do you like that Acerbis (?) front fender?

We've gotta hook up and ride someday.

J

thats the stock fender, i am not sure if its different that the earlier models, but it catches wind nicely, if i ever go sailing that fender is coming with.

gixxerjasen said:
Nice ride report. Also nice to see another person out discovering how fun it is not having a GPS to perfectly guide you along. Sometimes getting lost is part of exploring and half the fun. Glad to see you had a blast.

On another note...I looked at your bike and thought to myself "Dang, that is a sweet bike, wonder what it is!?" Imagine my disappointment when I get to your sig and find out it's not some sweet Euro ADV bike, but another boring old KLR. Just kidding, way to go on making that bike into a complete drool fest.

part of me wants to get a GPS, the other part says its more fun being slightly clueless. there are 3 trips i want to make with the bike that i will probably get a GPS for, Big Bend, Moab Utah, and Alaska. BB and Moab are for sure next year sometime, Alaska is probably a couple of years away and most likely i'll do it on a different bike. for now i am enjoying not always knowing exactly where i am or how to get somewhere.

thanks for the compliment on the bike, all i have actually done to it is peel the stickers off and added some protection in the form of acerbis hand guards and happy trails skid plate/nerf bars. ive only had it a couple of months now and wanted to spend atleast 6 months on it before going too crazy with farkles.

i want the time to see what i actually want to change, if anything, rather than go with the internet list of must haves. so far the only things that stand out is the fork dive on breaking (need heavier springs for my slight girlish figure) and the seat for my oh so delicate behind. and i guess i should change out the doohickey, but hoping a tech day pops up somewhere for that.

Ahhh yes, the earlier model fenders were even bigger, all the better to sail with. I ended up cutting mine back a few inches after a particularly "fun" wind ride. I like having a GPS but it doesn't negate the need for maps. If you want to explore just turn it off or don't bring it, but it's sure handy if you see some particularly juicy looking squiggly lines on the map and you want to actually be able to find them (or find them again, if you stumble on some).

Hey this is out by me! I will have to check these places out!

You were on my turf.:biggun:Those are some fun roads, I like to stop in and have a burger at the Road House just outside of the park when I'm on that ride.

Nice ride report.

On another note...I looked at your bike and thought to myself "Dang, that is a sweet bike, wonder what it is!?" Imagine my disappointment when I get to your sig and find out it's not some sweet Euro ADV bike, but another boring old KLR. :mrgreen: Just kidding, way to go on making that bike into a complete drool fest.

I resemble that remark!:trust: Didn't the park go up from 2 bucks? I usually come in on KLBJ from 71 and turn left and ride to Alum Creek rd and back out to 71, I bet its hot in the trees right now, WOW.

Back