• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Midland, TX to Colorado

skup

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak
I have a business trip in Midland on Thursday and plan on riding from Houston to Midland on Wednesday. I would like any feeback for routes from Midland through northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado and back to Houston by Sunday.:rider:

I have a business trip in Midland on Thursday and plan on riding from Houston to Midland on Wednesday. I would like any feeback for routes from Midland through northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado and back to Houston by Sunday.:rider:

The roads don't start getting good until you're north of Amarillo, unless you want to go out of the way into the Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area, where the roads are fantastic.

Otherwise, there are a few mildly interesting roads between I-40 and I-25 that go through Roy, Mosquero, etc.

Have a good trip. :thumb:

Midland to Plains on 385

380 to roswell, Capitan, Carrizozo-Roswell is the start of the real ride

I25 to Bernadillo-boring but less than 2 hours

550 to Durango, Silverton, Ouray and Montrose-A must ride if you are ever close

Right on 50 to 149-stop at the black canyon of the gunnison NP-ride down to the river:rider:

Right on 149 to Lake city, Creede, South fork-Eat pie at the restaurant on the left in Lake city. The one with the large wooden doors and the sun tea in gallon jugs out front. I hope it is still there. When you pass the 2 small grocery stores on the right as you come into town, you are nearly there.

Right on 160 to Pagosa Springs-coast down from wolf creek pass to the scenic overlook

left on 84 to Chama, Tres Piedras, Taos-stop and take pictures of the Rio Grande canyon, you can't miss it!!!!

South on 518 to Mora, Las Vegas-end of the ride, the rest is getting back to Houston

To get back to Houston:

I40 east to Amarillo

287 south to Ft. Worth, continue on 287 to I45

South on I45 to houston

total of about 2100 miles. about half are just getting to the good stuff.

I'm in Lubbock if you wanna stop by. Probably be at work though if you come through during work hours. LOL

If you go through Abilene during the weekend I can probably make a trip there. Just gotta see if we're gonna work on saturday for extra money.

Back