• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Daytime Headlight Modulator

I am a total newbie not only to this forum ,but to the motorcycling in general. Has anyone added a headlight modulator for better visibility? JC Whitney has a model (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/.../s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=modulator) and wanted to see if it's worth it.

Howard

I've been using a modulator a bit over a year now. It definately increases your visibility.

I think its important to not operate it when following the same car for a long period of time, and for sure not when stopped in traffic.

I have had three cases where it has sparked anger in other drivers, once was my fault for modulating in stop and go traffic.

The other two were cars on the highway who by various hand gestures and erratic driving conveyed their disapproval even though I was not following them.

I've been against them for the reason stated above. If it makes people angry that I have it on, and they are being blinded by it, then why would I like doing that? Just like I don't have ridiculously loud pipes and rev them every chance I get.

I guess I just don't get the whole "visibility vs. making people angry" thing. I don't want to be mistaken for an emergency vehicle, I don't want people to curse at me because I'm making their eyes hurt, and I don't want people making aggressive and dangerous moves at me because I choose to do something to them that hurts their vision and ability to pilot their vehicle.

Yep, it's legal to have one (which I'm sure there is someone that will shortly point that out to me, thanks). But legal, and the right thing to do, don't always go hand in hand I'm afraid. Anyway, there are my thoughts on it.

As for that unit, I'd be wary of one that doesn't automatically turn off at night. I've had a few bikes come up to me in the dark with their modulator still a blazing. Quite blinding, and I'm sure the biker didn't like seeing every light on the front of the truck either. But ah well, maybe he realized just how annoying he was.;-)

I don't know how many thousands of cars I've shared the road with who are not bothered by my modulator. One guy (as I said) was justifiably irritated, the other two were I think just jerks.

People notice the modulators, that's the whole point.

Mine has a light sensor that disables it at night. I think this is required, but its not really nessasary. If it activates at night (as it has once or twice due to bright ambient light) you'll know it, and you won't like it at all.

Last edited:
I have been using one for almost a year and love it. My thoughts are it makes me more visible. But like others have stated, some are going to get mad for what ever reason. I prefer to make someone mad then have someone pull out or turn in front of me.

DFW, why would you be making someone's eyes hurt? A lot of people ride/drive with their lights on during the day without hurting anyone's eyes. Now if you are talking about night time with high beams, you are right. That is why the modulator must have a light sensor to deactivate the unit in order to be legal.

I will say that I only use mine when I feel that someone might pull out or turn in front of me. Like in the city.

Another issue that I have read, has to do with other vehicles 'misreading' the modulator light for an indication that it is ok to make a turn in front of you.

Wow, thanks for all your input. I am leaning towards getting it even though it might make some drivers angry. I am still debating which one to get. I have never bought anything from JC Whitney so I don't know the quality/durability.

Howard

I have the Kisan one as well. I use it most of the time, but do not really put a lot of faith in it. Just this past weekend while on the superslab a bonehead cut me off and I was using the modulator and wearing a hi viz orange vest.

It does get attention though.

DFW, why would you be making someone's eyes hurt? A lot of people ride/drive with their lights on during the day without hurting anyone's eyes.

Bright lights are bright lights. Some bikes don't have very bright lights, and more power to them. But some... like Goldwings, that happen to have very, very good lights and reflectors are extremely bright even during the day time. If you add the fact that they are now flashing (oops, modulating... my bad) it gets very annoying, very quickly. I've been followed by motorcycles during my morning commute quite often, and it gets old real quick.

So I just opt for staying alert, and trying to not make people angry with my commute.

Remember, loud pipes save lives!!!!!! They increase the awareness of you on the road.:roll: :rofl:

I wonder if it would be less annoying if you used the modulator on low beam instead of high?

Lee
(Flaunting his ignorance) :duck:

Back