• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hot? How hot?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
We've all heard the proverbial "hot enough to fry an egg" phrase, but has anyone actually tried to crack open an egg on a car, pc of metal, roof or roadway surface to see if it would actually cook?

.....and then take a picture of it?

I think since tomorrow (Thursday) is supposed to be the hottest of this little heat run it'd be fun for those interested to go crack an egg outside somewhere and take a picture of it to prove/disprove a point.

It's hottest here about 4-5pm so I think I'll have to give this a whirl.

Any other takers? This could be a cool little challenge around the state.

I've never taken a picture of it but we did this back when I was a kid (early 70s) up in North Texas on the sidewalk in front of the house. It didn't fry like we thought it would fry but it did harden up. I don't think I would have eaten it on toast.

Mom wasn't happy about missing an egg and dad wasn't happy about cleaning up the mess but what the heck, it was summer in Texas. What else was we supposed to do?? ;-)

I've also heard that leaving a tray of unbaked cookies in a hot car in the sun will bake them. Not sure I buy that one either, and I'm not willing to let perfectly good cookie dough go to waste to try it. Personally, I think baking cookie dough is a waste anyways... Mmmmm...

Personally, I think baking cookie dough is a waste anyways... Mmmmm...

+1.

I'll give it a try at work tomorrow if I get a chance. I'm thinking I can find a hot black piece of Metal up on the roof that's been in the sun all day. Not saying I'll eat it, or even clean it up, but It'd be worth a try.

What do you think would get hotter - black or bare metal?

What do you think would get hotter - black or bare metal?

I'd say black as it would absorb rather than reflect the suns rays.

+1 on the cookie dough. Why waste a good batch of dough in the oven. :eat:

So this is shaping up for a fun little photo experiment. Maybe tell where you took the shot, time of day and ambient temperature for grins?

Also I'd think the smaller the egg the better. Maybe a medium would be better than a "Grade A Fancy" or "Full Synthetic" egg. Maybe I should stop telling my egg frying schemes;-)

Ooh, maybe I could get my hands on a quail egg...

What about 1/4 cup of egg beaters? It's the equivalent of an egg, ya know. :ponder:

Sounds like a fun science experiment to do with Ninja Boy.

Shhhhhhh .... don't tell mom ...

Hmmmm......

Using a Therma-Pen (a highly accurate instant read for cooking), the ambient temp during this test was 106*F. The surface of the black pc of metal that had been sitting in the driveway all day was 52*C or 125.6*F. After 15 minutes, I can see the edges of the egg evaporating and pulling back, but not so much as a hint of white. 125.6*F in this experiment is a far cry from the 158*F required to cook one.

Still, it's stupid-hot for people at 106, and this was a fun experiment. I was able to shoot an interesting picture! What did everyone else come up with? Pics?

Egg002_sm.jpg

I've also heard that leaving a tray of unbaked cookies in a hot car in the sun will bake them. Not sure I buy that one either, and I'm not willing to let perfectly good cookie dough go to waste to try it. Personally, I think baking cookie dough is a waste anyways... Mmmmm...

Send it in to Mythbusters?

Back