• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pics of kids

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
critique/ comment/ insight please.

I'm a true noob to anything more than P&S & hope for decent, but I kinda like these. I actually tried to think a little bit about composition and background, steps I usually don't even consider. Critique please. (The pics, not the kids).

4967_105478432670_725017670_2638755_6295599_n.jpg

4967_105478437670_725017670_2638756_6866802_n.jpg

4967_105478462670_725017670_2638761_4816836_n.jpg

ETA: Shot with Canon EOS Rebel G w/ Canon 35-80 mm lens. Settings? It has some.

Last edited:
They seem a little overexposed (skin tones in the last two), but otherwise they're just fine. Good job. :thumb:

Number 2 is my favorite.

Number 3, I don't care for the shadow on your daughters face, but i am only nit picking because you asked us to....

They seem a little overexposed (skin tones in the last two), but otherwise they're just fine. Good job. :thumb:

I thought the same.

Just playing around with the image you posted. Hope you don't mind....
Not at all. I like how you got the background a little sharper.

Number 2 is my favorite.

Number 3, I don't care for the shadow on your daughters face, but i am only nit picking because you asked us to....

Thanks. That's the kind of stuff that I need to know & be thinking about.

My Son, his Fiance and my Daughter. It's pretty easy to tell they are related in this picture. My mom took it so it's a bit blurry.

1361106893_f34ee3d216.jpg

STrider

Early morning and later in the day will give you better light. Indirect light so you don't have the harsh shadows usually makes a nicer shot of faces. When you have direct sun and shadow on the same face, it's hard for the camera to balance the two--it's going to try and "average" the scene as far as exposure. Remeber that, too if you have something really bright in the background with bright sun on it and your subject is standing in a dark, shaded area. The bright source will blow out the exposure.

Nice candid poses.

Using a shallow depth of field like you did (portrait setting) helps keep the eye focused on them and not the background. The white pipe fencing in the second shot tends to distract you from your son. The "story" of the pic is usually their face and not what's going on in the background. There's exceptions to every rule of thumb.

If you're shooting at high res JPG or RAW, you might try cropping them tighter, like this--

test1s.jpg

test2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a grainy one from todays round of Golf with the camera phone

Attachments

• daddy daughter golf day.jpg
    daddy daughter golf day.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 167
Back