• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

bike wont start anymore...i broke it

Reaction score
new problem with my project "Extreme Makeover, Ninja Edition." I had it running great with a nice smooth idle and all was well. I changed the oil and now it won't start. It will turn over and over but just won't start. I don't know if I'm flooding it or getting no gas since I don't know the difference. I was going to change the spark plugs but realized after removing everything that I need a socket about 8 inches long to get those babies out. Any ideas on why it won't start anymore? The fuel tap is turned on and it does have gas. The choke was working fine because before it wouldn't start without it so I assume it does work. I just rode it around the block yesterday and it ran good, now after the oil change not even a start?!?

Check the basics. Did you have the tank off? No kinks to fuel or vacuum lines (assuming it has a prime position and not an on/off style petcock)? Coils plugged in? Does it smell flooded? Are you getting spark? Are the plugs fouled or wet? Be sure the enricher (choke) cable is seated fully in the socket allowing the enricher to fully disengage. Side stand or clutch cutoff switches? I think some allow the engine to spin but not fire.

well with one of those suggestions brings up another recent problem. until yesterday the neutral light worked perfect. however, for whatever reason it stopped working. i took out the bulb and put in another one and it still did not work. upon closer inspection i saw it barely lit like it was trying to come on. now it wont come on at all. i switched bulb holders with a know working holder and still nothing. i assumed it was a ground maybe somewhere. the bike still ran fine yesterday but now that the light is out i have to hold in the clutch to start the motor. it normally starts without the clutch when it is in neutral with the kickstand down. i will recheck the hoses tomorrow. it stopped working before i removed the tank which is why the tank came off afterward so i dont think anything is crimped. however the neutral light fizzing out has me worried and now that it went from starting and running to just turning over forever i feel like i'm making negative progress!

it does have a petcock with on, off, and reserve positions and it did sort of smell like gas right after it wouldn't start. at first it would sort of bump a couple times like it was getting ready to run but now there is no bumping and just motor turning endlessly mocking me.

:tab It could be that the nuetral sensor is going out. For starting purposes, this makes the bike act like it is in gear even if it is not, hence the need to pull in the clutch. If the sensor is sending out a weak voltage to the bulb, this might be the cause of the dim light. I know nothing about your specific bike though ;-)

Adios,

Not even a spit or sputter? Hmm. As far as having something to do with changing the oil, I doubt it, unless you had to remove/disconnect something/s to do so, so probably just a coincidence. This is one of those that I'd have to be there to look/think it over. Do you know if you have a vacuum assisted prime? If so, the vacuum line could have pulled off. Does your bike have a fuel pump? If so, there may be a fuse specific for it. Hard to say without knowing anything about the bike though. I know some Kaws are prone to fuse box issues, my Dads ZR7 was a victim.

thanks everyone for the help. i changed the spark plugs today and it started right up. the old ones looked pretty bad. now if can just figure out that neutral light thing. its killing me that it worked 2 days ago perfectly and now its out.

aasports said:
thanks everyone for the help. i changed the spark plugs today and it started right up. the old ones looked pretty bad. now if can just figure out that neutral light thing. its killing me that it worked 2 days ago perfectly and now its out.
Just remove the light altogether, then you won't expect it to work. Problem solved.

that would in fact be much easier and less time consuming but i love the torture of being demoralized by an inanimate object. i think sometimes at night i can hear it laughing at me with the other bikes in the garage. i will win!!

Don't you love it when unrelated things quit at the same time just to make you go nuts trying to relate them. It happens to me all the time.
:shock:

Back