• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How hot should the ECU box run?

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but I recently noticed, after a hot stop-and-go hot (102) ride in Dallas, that when I took off the seat and “felt” the ECU box the thing felt like it was going to burst into flames – I mean it was really hot to the touch. No problems with the thing – just hot. I have a 12 volt computer fan and it was pretty simple to mount it above the ECU and blow air on it. Now it does seem to run cooler but I’m wondering if this was at all necessary. I’m guessing these things are designed to run in all kinds of temperature extremes. What do you think – pull the fan and just let it run hot like it was designed to?

Thanks for your replies.

I'm no electronics expert but FWIK if you can keep them cooler they will operate better (ie more efficiently) and last longer.

IMO leave the fan where it is. It can't hurt

I'm pretty sure the electrical guys at Suzuki have a pretty big heat factor dialed in. Just run it. But, out of wonderment, next time I come in from a ride, I'll check the temp with my infared temp gun.

Back