• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tank fuel hose popped off… (while on the road)

Reaction score
Anyone have their fuel hose, where it connects to the tank, pop off / come loose? Mine did, on the 4th, going down LBJ Frwy in Dallas. Dang did the gas shoot out. Totally soaked my left pants leg – glad I didn’t burst into flames. Got the bike stopped, turned off the ignition. Inspected the tank and noticed the snap-on fuel hose, where it connects to the 90 degree tank “attachment” had come loose. Don’t know if I just didn’t snap it on securely enough the last time or if it’s faulty. Anyway – I had my OEM tool kit and low-and-behold the first tool out of the pouch fit the tank bolts so I pulled the tank snapped it back on, tested it, and off I went. Made it back home OK. Got a little gas burn on my right leg but at least I wasn’t “barbequed” for the 4th. I’ve ordered a new fuel hose ($50) just in case.

Sorry - this is a 2007 Bandit 1250

Ol Dave

Maybe a long shot but...did you top off the tank and possibly had that much pressure build up with the heat that day? If it was already somewhat loose, that could have popped it out.

Maybe a long shot but...did you top off the tank and possibly had that much pressure build up with the heat that day? If it was already somewhat loose, that could have popped it out.

Venting should take care of that. This is after the fuel pump and to the injectors so tank pressure would not be a factor. Pump pressure switch or bad connection.

Whenever you take the tank off and reconnect the fuel line, you need to make sure that it is pushed fully on to the other side until you feel and hear the connector snap in place, then pull back on it several times to make sure it is locked on securely.

I have a feeling that there's nothing wrong with the fuel line except that you didn't fully seat it when you connected it back up the last time. :rider:

Happened to me too, :trust: but I know for sure it was operator error (failure to firmly reseat the fuel line).

I agree with El Bandito, it was almost certainly a failure to correctly connect the hose last time you removed it. If you've properly put fuel hose past the ridge and heard the 'click' there is no practical way it can come off.

Happened to me in the comfort of my garage. There just isn't a heck of a lot of free play when connecting stuff up to the bottom of the tank, so ya jus' gotta be a little more aggressive and check stuff before ya button it up.

Back